Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on leaving property in UK to rent out!

Wikiposts

Advice on leaving property in UK to rent out!

Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:26 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on leaving property in UK to rent out!

Originally Posted by suzimc
Sorry to jump on this thread - I had been looking for suitable landlords insurance so followed this link and it looks great - just wondering if anyone can recommend any other co's as I'd like to shop around first...

Thanks
Suzi
I use Letsure and its taken me over a year to get them to take notice of my change of address.

I wrote them a letter last year informing them. They cashed the enclosed premium cheque but ignored the letter. This year I phoned them a month before the premium was due. A very nice person took my payment and changed my address on the system. When I got my credit card statement, the premium hadn't been taken. I phoned them again and another nice person again took payment and changed my address. I still haven't had any policy documents although the payment has been taken so at least I'm covered.

Unfortunately, there don't seem to be too many companies that will insure you if you live abroad, so I'm stuck with them.

Jane
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:34 pm
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Having thought long and hard we have decided not to rent out the property and we are going to sell it!! I think that we decided being so far away is a bit of a pain in the arse if something goes wrong!!

So had the agents round now just deciding which one to go with!! Were very pleased as house was valued £15,000 more than we thought it would be so that is a bonus!!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
Having thought long and hard we have decided not to rent out the property and we are going to sell it!! I think that we decided being so far away is a bit of a pain in the arse if something goes wrong!!

So had the agents round now just deciding which one to go with!! Were very pleased as house was valued £15,000 more than we thought it would be so that is a bonus!!
It is a pain in the arse, I can vouch for that! But when it goes smoothly it's pretty good!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

It is a pain in the arse, I can vouch for that! But when it goes smoothly it's pretty good!

i have 2 properties that i rent out and had some exceelent advice from someone on here a while ago which is going to save me a lot of money! once i become a non resident and a year passes, you no longer have to pay CGT in the uk so long as you dont return in 5 years! of course i'll still be liable for oz tax but apparently not a patch on uk!

its all legal and above board and i contacted IR for the relevent forms! also, when it comes to selling, make sure the property is in joint names and the tax bill is even less!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 11:48 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiemc
of course i'll still be liable for oz tax but apparently not a patch on uk!

You might find that the tax here will be higher than you think. When you sell, the gain will be added to your income for that tax year and taxed at your highest personal rate, which will probably be (after your capital gain) at least 40%. There are no tapering reliefs here like there is in the UK. You pay tax on the lot.

Jane
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:04 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Remember:

- There's a CGT discount in Australia if you have owned a CGT Asset for at least 12 months (from the date of becoming a tax resident of Australia if owned on arrival)

- Capital gains arising before becoming a tax resident of Australia are

Best regards.

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
You might find that the tax here will be higher than you think. When you sell, the gain will be added to your income for that tax year and taxed at your highest personal rate, which will probably be (after your capital gain) at least 40%. There are no tapering reliefs here like there is in the UK. You pay tax on the lot.

Jane
Old Jul 14th 2006, 12:13 pm
Born to be ignored

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Remember:

- There's a CGT discount in Australia if you have owned a CGT Asset for at least 12 months (from the date of becoming a tax resident of Australia if owned on arrival)

- Capital gains arising before becoming a tax resident of Australia are

Best regards.
Didn't know about the first point, thank you. Could you please clarify your 2nd point?

Jane
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:31 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Oops ... not sure how I managed that ... the word to complete the second point is "ignored" ...

There are some free tax factsheets available here if you are interested:
www.collettandco.com

Best regards.

Originally Posted by JaneandJim
Didn't know about the first point, thank you. Could you please clarify your 2nd point?

Jane
Old Jul 15th 2006, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Oops ... not sure how I managed that ... the word to complete the second point is "ignored" ...

There are some free tax factsheets available here if you are interested:
www.collettandco.com

Best regards.
thanks alan, have been meaning to get in touch for a while now, just mega busy though!!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

milliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond reputemilliewoos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsordave
Just to re-ignite this one. Is it true that you can claim flights back to the UK to check on the property as a tax deduction? That'd be nice Thanks !
Dave

Does anyone know about this? I'd heard that this was the case from friends in Oz previously but I haven't managed to unearth any further information about it
Old Jul 16th 2006, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milliewoos
Does anyone know about this? I'd heard that this was the case from friends in Oz previously but I haven't managed to unearth any further information about it
I've heard this before too but when we asked our tax advisor he didn't seem that keen for us to persue that route - he said there were enough other expenses to do with the property that could be offset, without having to look at things like that...
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard this before too but when we asked our tax advisor he didn't seem that keen for us to persue that route - he said there were enough other expenses to do with the property that could be offset, without having to look at things like that...
Can you expand on these expenses suzimc? (or anyone else?) Thanks! Dave
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:51 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

With regards to tax deducting flights back to the UK. If you fly back just for the purpose of managing the property then you can tax deduct this. If you mix business and pleasure then you can only deduct a portion of it (depending on you proportion of business and pleasure). This tends to be rocky ground (tax-wise) which is probably why suzimc's advisor was not keen.

Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsordave
Can you expand on these expenses suzimc? (or anyone else?) Thanks! Dave
Mortgage, maintenance of the property.... not entirely sure exactly what else because my hubby saw the tax advisor, but that was what he told me after the meeting