Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice - I've kind of been duped...

Advice - I've kind of been duped...

Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

sandyring is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice - I've kind of been duped...

This is my scenario, about 2 years ago whilst backpacking, I worked for 3 months for a company based in Sydney in IT, they wanted to sponsor me, but at that point I wanted to finish my travels.

2 years later (May 2007) I got in contact with my boss at this company asking if there was a position, he sorted it all out (Company Sponsorship Visa 457), said I would get payed such and such and be doing what I was doing before with additonal areas...This was a step back, but worth it in my view to get to live in Australia and stupidly thought, well I can work my way back up.

So anyway, I arrived here in Sydney about 9-10 weeks ago, a few weeks before I was due to start I found out that this guy (my previous boss) was leaving, so when I arrived I find out I'm going right to the bottom of my career path and starting all over again. I work in IT, have done for 11 years now...

So Now I'm stuck in the scenario, where I am living where I want to, but my career has basically dropped 3 rungs to the bottom again!. I have spoken to my new boss about this, she said within 2 months things would change, they of course haven't and probably won't, why won't they change?, well since I have been here around 20 people have resigned, I am now the longest serving member within my department of 7.
In my mind it makes sense why they have put me in this position, taking into consideration the high staff turn over, putting someone in the position who has to stay in the role to stay in Australia is good thinking.

One of the reasons people have left is there is no progression, when someone resigns, they don't advertise internally, they just go externally straight away if at all as they are trying to cut back.

So now I need to consider my options, yes I can apply for a Skilled Migrant 175 but that takes a year, I seriously can't hold out for 1 year doing this it will seriously damage my career progression. It would appear that few companies are willing to sponsor, so I am in need of advice of what I should do....

Last edited by sandyring; Dec 11th 2007 at 11:23 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice - I've kind of been duped...

Originally Posted by sandyring
This is my scenario, about 2 years ago whilst backpacking, I worked for 3 months for a company based in Sydney in IT, they wanted to sponsor me, but at that point I wanted to finish my travels.

2 years later (May 2007) I got in contact with my boss at this company asking if there was a position, he sorted it all out (Company Sponsorship Visa 457), said I would get payed such and such and be doing what I was doing before with additonal areas...This was a step back, but worth it in my view to get to live in Australia and stupidly thought, well I can work my way back up.

So anyway, I arrived here in Sydney about 9-10 weeks ago, a few weeks before I was due to start I found out that this guy (my previous boss) was leaving, so when I arrived I find out I'm going right to the bottom of my career path and starting all over again. I work in IT, have done for 11 years now...

So Now I'm stuck in the scenario, where I am living where I want to, but my career has basically dropped 3 rungs to the bottom again!. I have spoken to my new boss about this, she said within 2 months things would change, they of course haven't and probably won't, why won't they change?, well since I have been here around 20 people have resigned, I am now the longest serving member within my department of 7.
In my mind it makes sense why they have put me in this position, taking into consideration the high staff turn over, putting someone in the position who has to stay in the role to stay in Australia is good thinking.

One of the reasons people have left is there is no progression, when someone resigns, they don't advertise internally, they just go externally straight away if at all as they are trying to cut back.

So now I need to consider my options, yes I can apply for a Skilled Migrant 175 but that takes a year, I seriously can't hold out for 1 year doing this it will seriously damage my career progression. It would appear that few companies are willing to sponsor, so I am in need of advice of what I should do....
If you can apply for a 175 then do it. Online applications are only taking around 3 months judging by posts on here.

Other than that it's another sponsor, but do you want to risk going through all this again?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:59 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
If you can apply for a 175 then do it. Online applications are only taking around 3 months judging by posts on here.

Other than that it's another sponsor, but do you want to risk going through all this again?
Be aware that if your position ceases to exist, you will either have to find another sponsor, or leave Australia within 28 days.
I would recommend putting in your 175, and discretely seeing if you can locate another sponsor.

Being tied to a less than ideal employer (as we have found ourselves) is one of the problems of the 457.

Good luck - hope it all works out as you want.
Steve
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
Be aware that if your position ceases to exist, you will either have to find another sponsor, or leave Australia within 28 days.
I would recommend putting in your 175, and discretely seeing if you can locate another sponsor.

Being tied to a less than ideal employer (as we have found ourselves) is one of the problems of the 457.

Good luck - hope it all works out as you want.
Steve

I don't even think they should look for a new sponsor - just in case

I'd just apply in my own right and ride it out
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:17 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even think they should look for a new sponsor - just in case

I'd just apply in my own right and ride it out

True - but if their sponsor is currently downsizing, there may be a risk of losing the job prior to the 175 being granted and having to leave the country.
Not an easy one either way.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevemich
True - but if their sponsor is currently downsizing, there may be a risk of losing the job prior to the 175 being granted and having to leave the country.
Not an easy one either way.

No it's not!.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:21 am
Just Joined

If it's only taking 3 months for a 175 then that's great, I was under the impression it was a year!. Thanks for info.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If it's only taking 3 months for a 175 then that's great, I was under the impression it was a year!. Thanks for info.

Have you got all the stuff together that you'll need?.

Sometimes it's the gathering of evidence that takes the longest But from applying to DIAC and getting a visa, it will only be a few months, certainly a lot less than a year.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Have you got all the stuff together that you'll need?.

Sometimes it's the gathering of evidence that takes the longest But from applying to DIAC and getting a visa, it will only be a few months, certainly a lot less than a year.
Just waiting for my certificates to be sent over from the UK.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

If it's only the fact that you're starting from the bottom that worries you I wouldnt worry about it - nearly everyone I know in whatever trade, no matter how high up in the UK, has had to start near the bottom again and work their way up.

The more important factors are whether you can afford to live on the salary and whether the company will close or it's just people leaving of their own accord. If you cant afford it or the company is likely to go down the pan then I'd start doing something about it.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:19 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
If it's only the fact that you're starting from the bottom that worries you I wouldnt worry about it - nearly everyone I know in whatever trade, no matter how high up in the UK, has had to start near the bottom again and work their way up.

The more important factors are whether you can afford to live on the salary and whether the company will close or it's just people leaving of their own accord. If you cant afford it or the company is likely to go down the pan then I'd start doing something about it.
I agree - I moved over on an internal company transfer, the Australian side of the company was not best pleased and gave me the lowest of the low areas to work in. I hated every minute but stuck it out looking back now after five years it was just another experience and I worked my way back up through the company then left to bigger and better things. A year on a CV is experience you don't need to spell it out that it was back tracking.

Good luck
Old Dec 13th 2007, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bridie

It's not really because I'm starting at the bottom, it's more of the case that the place where I work has had a 100% staff turnover within the last year (that's not a good pointer), they don't advertise any vacancies internal, they always just go external straight away + I have had quite a few agencies ringing me to say they have an ideal job for me and that I am vastly overqualified for what I am doing, however when they find I require sponsorship, their interest dwindles. My current colleagues who have a lot less experience and knowledge are moving on to better things elsewhere why I am stuck here!!....um...
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:31 am
Precociously Stupid

TsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant futureTsukinoDeynatsu has a brilliant future

It's not really because I'm starting at the bottom, it's more of the case that the place where I work has had a 100% staff turnover within the last year (that's not a good pointer), they don't advertise any vacancies internal, they always just go external straight away + I have had quite a few agencies ringing me to say they have an ideal job for me and that I am vastly overqualified for what I am doing, however when they find I require sponsorship, their interest dwindles. My current colleagues who have a lot less experience and knowledge are moving on to better things elsewhere why I am stuck here!!....um...

Make it known that you have so much experience, so many qualifications, and that you're interested in working for a company for a minimum of XX years providing you're given a suitable job (say a minimum of XX Level or whatever).

However, a company will have to sponsor you for a year until your 175 comes through.

If they like you, they'll tell any prospective companies this already and try to sell you, so you won't waste your time!

And it means others will be looking for jobs for you and you can focus on your 175 app/hating your job/going to bondi beach

i think Sapphire's Select's IT arm, Hudsons should have one too ^_^

good luck! try not to stress too much, you could always be working at Pizza Hut!