Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on how to get them to reply

Advice on how to get them to reply

Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on how to get them to reply

Over the past 4-6 weeks I have e-mailed 2 schools in the Cleveland Area and the Scout Association in Brisbane for information.

All have read the e-mails but no-one has replied, anyone any ideas? I have read loads of posts on here saying how helpful people have been by e-mail, have I just picked 3 most un-helpful???
Old Jun 27th 2007, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on how to get them to reply

Originally Posted by louise
Over the past 4-6 weeks I have e-mailed 2 schools in the Cleveland Area and the Scout Association in Brisbane for information.

All have read the e-mails but no-one has replied, anyone any ideas? I have read loads of posts on here saying how helpful people have been by e-mail, have I just picked 3 most un-helpful???
Nope Ive found exactly the same problem! Weve emailed schools and had no response think it may be better to stay up till 11pm and ring them - I think youll get a better response! Heck ive tried applying for jobs via email and have had nil response

good luck
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find that communication over here is terrible. You may ring for a job or maybe a tradie and they'll all say they'll call you back. They never do!

We wanted a carpenter to do some work, missus rang lots of aussie tradies, none of them got back to her or bothered coming round to price the job up. Luckily enough I got to know a british carpenter who came round, done the job and made a bloody good job.

I don't want to be an aussie basher but you'll find the most reliable people here are the immigrants (even the aussies know this)
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

All have read the e-mails but no-one has replied, anyone any ideas? I
2 things spring to mind.

1) Did you ask them to reply via email with an answer?
2) Have you checked your junk/spam folders?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
You'll find that communication over here is terrible. You may ring for a job or maybe a tradie and they'll all say they'll call you back. They never do!

We wanted a carpenter to do some work, missus rang lots of aussie tradies, none of them got back to her or bothered coming round to price the job up. Luckily enough I got to know a british carpenter who came round, done the job and made a bloody good job.

I don't want to be an aussie basher but you'll find the most reliable people here are the immigrants (even the aussies know this)
Unfortunately this seems to be endemic with Australian businesses. Replies to phone calls, emails and letters are unusual and far from the norm; many businesses seem to thnk you have nothing to do except keep ringing to chase up unanswered pleas for return calls. I have noiw stooped saying "Can you ask him to call me back" and "instead am saying automatically that I will call them again later.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

keithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant future

sorry,but its true,nobody ever rings you back for anything. i even went for a job interview three weeks ago and i`m assuming i didnt get it as i haven`t heard a thing,not even a letter!!!

Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:50 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

We too have found this - trying to arrange viewings for rentals was a nightmare, they just don`t call back. Like Pollyanna said phone them, it saves waiting whilst you could be doing other things.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for all your replies, at least I now know it's not only me

2 things spring to mind.

1) Did you ask them to reply via email with an answer?
No, I didn't ask them to reply I just presumed they would
2) Have you checked your junk/spam folders?
Yes, nothing there either
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all your replies, at least I now know it's not only me
It's not school holidays is it?
Old Jun 28th 2007, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hereshoping
It's not school holidays is it?
They may have been off some of the 4-6 weeks but not it all, they have their long break at Christmas
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

They may have been off some of the 4-6 weeks but not it all, they have their long break at Christmas
We had exactly the opposite before we came out 3 years ago. The schools we contacted actually rang us in the UK and were more than helpful. The rental agencies we contacted were also fantasic and we landed a rental before we arrived. However, tradies really do me P**S me off. They are pretty awful - that comes with them being able to turn away business of the shortage of tradesmen.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 4:03 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

I remember emailing an Ultra Tune franchise last year asking for a quote on a major car service.

To my surprise, the actual franchise owner replied with abuse. He was offended that I was "shopping around" for prices.

Needless to say, I went elsewhere.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:52 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billabong
However, tradies really do me P**S me off. They are pretty awful - that comes with them being able to turn away business of the shortage of tradesmen.

Real estate agents too.

S
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Yes, ring them, they will appreciate that, especially from the UK. We have another week of school hols in Queensland so I would wait until then, and ask to speak to " the principal"
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

The biggest problem is, it is actually hassle and too many people email.

Imagine if something comes into your inbox, how do you know who it really is.

Also many aussies and companies in AUs, real estate etc, get so much mail and enquiries they just delete.

Its nothing personal just the way it is.

very fustrating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.