Reload this Page >

Advice or help for newbie - Fitness Industry

Advice or help for newbie - Fitness Industry

Old Mar 31st 2009, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Joeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice or help for newbie - Fitness Industry

Hello

I'll soon be arriving in Brisbane, along with my folks and have been thinking about starting a career in the Fitness industry. I would like to get my qualifications as a gym instructor then gradually work my way up to Personal trainer standard.

Can anyone give me some advice as where to start. I've been in contact with the local Tafe's, but their courses start next year, so was hoping anyone knew of good and reputable training providers in the Brisbane area that I could contact in the mean time.

Thanks

Joey
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Advice or help for newbie - Fitness Industry

Oh well... lol
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:34 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few in Brisbane so you wont have any problems getting a place,just google fitness training or something along that line
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joeyyy
Hello

I'll soon be arriving in Brisbane, along with my folks and have been thinking about starting a career in the Fitness industry. I would like to get my qualifications as a gym instructor then gradually work my way up to Personal trainer standard.

Can anyone give me some advice as where to start. I've been in contact with the local Tafe's, but their courses start next year, so was hoping anyone knew of good and reputable training providers in the Brisbane area that I could contact in the mean time.

Thanks

Joey
The studio I go to is currently looking for trainers and I think requires a Cert III or Cert IV in fitness (+ insurance, whatever that might mean - I guess you insure yourself against being sued by clients?).

Have a look here for details of training providers in Qld for Cert III:

http://ntis.gov.au/Default.aspx?/tra...vider&state=03

Can't promise they're all in Brisbane you'll need to go through them and have a look, but this list offer training in Qld, more than likely SEQ.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh well... lol
Your first post at 4:08am Brisbane time. You didn't get any answers because we were all sound asleep. Your second post was at a more reasonable 8:22am when most of us should be awake.

I see you're new, so just keep in mind the time difference when you're posting. Sometimes it might take us a while to get back to you.

Now, regarding your question.... as other posters have mentioned you usually need some sort of certificate from a TAFE.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcworld
The studio I go to is currently looking for trainers and I think requires a Cert III or Cert IV in fitness (+ insurance, whatever that might mean - I guess you insure yourself against being sued by clients?).

Have a look here for details of training providers in Qld for Cert III:

http://ntis.gov.au/Default.aspx?/tra...vider&state=03

Can't promise they're all in Brisbane you'll need to go through them and have a look, but this list offer training in Qld, more than likely SEQ.
BCworld - that was a great link you sent me. So many providers on there that are registered - thanks alot

So TAFE isn't the only option
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 8:35 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

BCworld - that was a great link you sent me. So many providers on there that are registered - thanks alot

So TAFE isn't the only option
No worries Joeyyy......this one looks promising.

http://www.qaf.com.au/cert3.html
Old Apr 6th 2009, 2:18 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Joeyy,

I qualified as a Personal Trainer in Melbourne, and got my Cert III & IV here. Not sure who does the training courses in Brisbane, but I think BC has given you the links for that.

One thing I'd say is to avoid the places that do these courses in a couple of weeks. When I see other PT's that have gone through these types of course it really shows.... A really good quality course will pay you dividends for a long time.

After getting qualified you'll need liability insurance and then registration with one of the regulating bodies such as Fitness Australia. To find out who does the best & most respected courses in Brissie, try contacting them:

http://www.fitness.org.au/scripts/cg...FITNESS/ccms.r

All the best with the fitness industry. It's hard and the pay will never make you rich, but it is rewarding.

John
Old Apr 6th 2009, 7:52 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Get a Cert IV in Fitness minimum. Not many places employ floor instructors anymore (who need a Cert III). Most prefer the business model of having instructors paying rent to the gym and taking money from clients directly and are mostly self employed.

The Diploma of fitness is generally considered a bit of a white elephant at the moment content wise. Although some may do a diploma, if for example, they didnt have a degree in something else as this opens further opportunities meeting formal education standards, which is required by say the police force.

That said there are a few independent personal training studios that pay a flat rate, but thats the exception rather than the rule.

The quality of the course provider is important. AIF are a big provider here and churn out Cert IVs like it was going out of fashion. The difficulty is that the industry doesnt accept these fast track programs as well as others. Be picky in who you use to train you.

Like everything in the fitness industry though, personality and perhaps more importantly, your own look, play a massive part in this. Nobody wants to be trained by someone that looks as if they dont train themselves. Your own training will show experience in using equipment and discipline. I have a couple of gym managers who say that's the most important thing that they look for in a trainer, and qualification is the bit of paper required, but your own body and fitness give the game the away in the first few moments of an interview with a prospective employer.
Old May 25th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Centurion
Get a Cert IV in Fitness minimum. Not many places employ floor instructors anymore (who need a Cert III). Most prefer the business model of having instructors paying rent to the gym and taking money from clients directly and are mostly self employed.

The Diploma of fitness is generally considered a bit of a white elephant at the moment content wise. Although some may do a diploma, if for example, they didnt have a degree in something else as this opens further opportunities meeting formal education standards, which is required by say the police force.

That said there are a few independent personal training studios that pay a flat rate, but thats the exception rather than the rule.

The quality of the course provider is important. AIF are a big provider here and churn out Cert IVs like it was going out of fashion. The difficulty is that the industry doesnt accept these fast track programs as well as others. Be picky in who you use to train you.

Like everything in the fitness industry though, personality and perhaps more importantly, your own look, play a massive part in this. Nobody wants to be trained by someone that looks as if they dont train themselves. Your own training will show experience in using equipment and discipline. I have a couple of gym managers who say that's the most important thing that they look for in a trainer, and qualification is the bit of paper required, but your own body and fitness give the game the away in the first few moments of an interview with a prospective employer.
Guy's what's the industry like in Australia at the moment? I'm doing my PT in the UK with a company called future fit. What sort of hours are you putting in and how much is it paying.

My level 2 gym instructor is the only qualification I really have in the UK. I'm looking to maybe build on this and coming over to study and gain PR, but have no idea if it would work as it's the building trades that are in fashion for PR.

My unrelated profession although well paid and required 2 years of study does not get any points for migration. I have done the level 2 because I enjoyed fitness so much I wanted to teach others.

Are there any companies who recruit internationally and would it be hard to find part time work if I came over.

Any info would be a great help as I'm looking at having to do a building trade to get over at the moment.