Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting salary from the UK?

Advice on getting salary from the UK?

Old Dec 10th 2003, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Plessiez is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice on getting salary from the UK?

Hello fellow expats, this is the first time I've found this forum.

I've been working here in Australia since January but I'm still employed and paid by a company in the UK.

I get my salary into a bank account in the UK and transfer it here. With charts of the Australian dollar looking like the north face of Everest at the moment, does anyone have any advice on what I can do to mitigate losing any more of my salary with each passing month?

Is anyone else here in a similar boat, and do I just have to ride it out and hope that the dollar starts to fall again?

Many thanks

Jonathan Smith
Old Dec 10th 2003, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

If the company employing you doesn't have a branch in Oz, you are probably stuffed and have to take it in GBP.

Somebody has to take the hit on the FX rates and presumably they don't have a treasury dept. hedging CCY fluctuations, so it will be you.

If they do have a branch in OZ, get them to agree a salary and pay you in AUD.

Maybe you could consider talking to them about a re-adjustment of you salary term due to the changing FX rate. However, they are still going to pay you in GBP and to them would simply be a salary increase/review.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on getting salary from the UK?

Originally posted by Plessiez
Hello fellow expats, this is the first time I've found this forum.

I've been working here in Australia since January but I'm still employed and paid by a company in the UK.

I get my salary into a bank account in the UK and transfer it here. With charts of the Australian dollar looking like the north face of Everest at the moment, does anyone have any advice on what I can do to mitigate losing any more of my salary with each passing month?

Is anyone else here in a similar boat, and do I just have to ride it out and hope that the dollar starts to fall again?

Many thanks

Jonathan Smith
If your getting UK rates whilst working in Oz then i would stick to that you may find your better off anyway even with the exchange rate, you may have to do your sums.

Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

I agree, if your being paid the same salary as you were in the UK, then your probably doing OK. In the long term the UK pound will fair better than the ozzie dollar.