Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice On Furniture, Please!

Wikiposts

Advice On Furniture, Please!

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Advice On Furniture, Please!

Hi

I posted this on Adelaide Brits and it was suggested I try here!

I'm sorry if Mr Mover has already answered a query like this before - I started to read through all of the old threads, but became bleary eyed!

So, if you don't mind, I'll rake it up again!

Most of my stuff is antique pine, oak or fruitwood! It's old stripped and waxed - there's some with signs of old insect activity ( which is usual for this furniture).
It seems, if I list it as Antique, I will need to provide expert signed(LAPADA) certificates! Can I just say - for instance - Wood Chest Of Drawers?
Has anyone else had any experiences good or bad with old furniture?
I've seen Antique shops, on the net, in and around Adelaide - where I'm heading - so they must ship it in somehow.

Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks.
:PARTY:
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Davenshell is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have a lot of antique furniture which we are shipping out next month I'll be interested in any replys,a friend of mine ships furniture to the states as a buisness and they just wax and polish the wood,apparantley our sort of woodworm doesn't survive in the warm dry climate.They do a container a month and never have any problems.
David
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 6:27 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice On Furniture, Please!

Mr M did reply to a Q recently re wood worm marks

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=166061
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 8:55 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice On Furniture, Please!

Originally posted by gdcollectables
Hi

I posted this on Adelaide Brits and it was suggested I try here!

I'm sorry if Mr Mover has already answered a query like this before - I started to read through all of the old threads, but became bleary eyed!

So, if you don't mind, I'll rake it up again!

Most of my stuff is antique pine, oak or fruitwood! It's old stripped and waxed - there's some with signs of old insect activity ( which is usual for this furniture).
It seems, if I list it as Antique, I will need to provide expert signed(LAPADA) certificates! Can I just say - for instance - Wood Chest Of Drawers?
Has anyone else had any experiences good or bad with old furniture?
I've seen Antique shops, on the net, in and around Adelaide - where I'm heading - so they must ship it in somehow.

Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks.
:PARTY:
as i mentioned in an earlier post, unless their is signs of live borer activity, you will have no problems, noting furniture as antique ,will require certification ,as you stated, this will then cause customs to look closer at your shipment , unless you require high insurance coverage ,or plan on selling these items in the antique market, i would not bother.......... MM
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default taking old furniture

Originally posted by Davenshell
I too have a lot of antique furniture which we are shipping out next month I'll be interested in any replys,a friend of mine ships furniture to the states as a buisness and they just wax and polish the wood,apparantley our sort of woodworm doesn't survive in the warm dry climate.They do a container a month and never have any problems.
David
Hi

Where are you going?

Would welcome any feedback re your shipment, as you will be there before us!!:PARTY:
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: taking old furniture

Originally posted by gdcollectables
Hi

Where are you going?

Would welcome any feedback re your shipment, as you will be there before us!!:PARTY:

This reply was meant for Davenshell, not used to this system yet - sorry!:PARTY:
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Davenshell is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem, container arrives middle of August, the packers are here for 3 days. We're heading for Melbourne area, arrive September 15th. Some of our furniture and collectibles have been packed for 2 years It'll be strange to see it all set out. Any questions send me a message.
David