Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice :Flying with kids

Wikiposts

Advice :Flying with kids

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 1:11 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice :Flying with kids

My husband has already emigrated and I am flying out on my own on the 16th August with Emirates. I have a 3 year old and a 20 month old. Any advice or am I just mad!!

Any advice welcome.

Last edited by wargod; Jul 23rd 2006 at 1:17 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice :Flying with kids

Originally Posted by wargod
My husband has already emigrated and I am flying out on my own on the 16th August with Emirates. I have a 3 year old and a 20 month old. Any advice or am I just mad!!

Any advice welcome.
well good luck!
no tobe honest i've never flown on my own with children as young as yours - mine was five when i first took him to sydney. we flew singapore air and the cabin crew were brilliant - really made a fuss of him, one of them kept bringing treats from the galley - which he didn't eat BTW.

sorry this isn't much help, hopefully they will sleep at the same time, my friend has flown (on her own) from Sydney with a toddler and she said that the cabin crew were brilliant with helping her and the toddler (thinkshe flew Malyasian), they kept an eye on him when she needed the loo etc. When he did play up and she couldn't settle him, they took her to one side - made her a drink while someone else entertained her son - how good was that!.

Wish you luck, i'm sure someone on here will help you
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

chugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura aboutchugo101 has a spectacular aura about

Any advice welcome.
Very brave I'd say!! We're flying out on 26th August with Emirates and my children will be 4 & 2. Luckily I have my hubby to share the task. We never fly anywhere without our portable DVD player as this seems to keep our 2 entertained for hours. We just take a selection of all their favourite programmes on DVD ie. Peppa Pig, Sponge Bob Square Pants, Thomas the Tank etc..
We're also hoping that if we keep them awake all day they'll sleep for a few hours on the first leg of our flight (we leave at 9:10pm)
There are also new Crayola 'magic' colouring sets out now which we've bought a couple of from tescos; they change colour on the paper but aren't actually coloured so don't make a mess. (that should use up another few minutes!), we also take a couple of books and a million bags of their favourite crisps (I'm such a great parent!)

I wish you all the luck and if I have any more ideas I'll let you know.......
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 5:50 am
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Any advice welcome.
All I can say is try not to worry about what other passengers think - the more you worry the more stressed you'll get which will transmit to your kids. Besides what's one sleepness night for them, just a taste of life as a parent and you will never see them again
Martyn
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 6:26 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice welcome.
Hi there,

Is youngest travelling on your knee or do they have there own seat? If having own seat have you asked the airline for a skycot? it attaches to seat for young ones to sleep in and are a god send.

Have a good flight
A
xx
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Darren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant future

Any advice welcome.
Hi we have two girls, one 3.5 and one 2. We decided to opt for a night flight- 7pm Malaysian airlines August 20th- and with a bit of luck they should sleep for most of the first leg. That's the theory anyway!!

Good Luck
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Spainy is an unknown quantity at this point

Any advice welcome.
Hi
We flew out a year ago on Singapore. And i can add that the cabin staff were great. Our son was 14 months and we had a skycot for him which we never used, to be honest he was too big for it, but it did get us a bulkhead seat which was handy! with the slight extra legroom he was able to sit and play on the floor for a while. That said, yes it is a stressful journey and i will reiterate what was said about the other passengers. Don't worry about them! I wish you luck.
Ian
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:05 am
Just Joined

ronda4 is an unknown quantity at this point

When flying with our two young children I found stickers to be useful in an emergency landing, adding 3 hours to our flight time. Stickers were all over my face but children were smiling!!

All the best for the flight
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:22 am
M J
BE Enthusiast

M J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond reputeM J has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tin
All I can say is try not to worry about what other passengers think - the more you worry the more stressed you'll get which will transmit to your kids. Besides what's one sleepness night for them, just a taste of life as a parent and you will never see them again
Martyn

I agree.
If you're calm you will deal with things much better.The slightest increase in stress levels and kids pick up on it.You can only do your best.Sod the other passengers,i bet they would do a horrifying job in your shoes.
I guess i can only say that i would take as many distraction items with me as poss such as colouring stuff someone else mentioned.On another thread similar a little while ago,one mum took with her surprise gifts distributed every so often to keep hers occupied.I thought that was a good idea.
Good luck anyway and a pat on the back for doing it by yourself!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice welcome.
we flew out in April with 2 kids (4 & 2) with singapore on a night flight. We kept one of the hand luggage bags full of toys, colouring sets, small travel gifts (try ELC, tesco etc) & had plenty of snacks (apricots, cream crackers, sultanas, as well as the usual stuff & drinks. Fortuantly my two slept for most of the flight & were engrossed in the in seat monitors.
Good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

CarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant futureCarlaA has a brilliant future

Any advice welcome.
Re worrying about other passengers' reactions (if you do), I used to get really concerned that my kids would bother others. But now that I'm one of the 'other passengers' myself I find my only reaction to seeing a parent struggle is to think:"Thank God that's not me!" Other people's children never sound as loud and insistent as mine seemed to - because they are not my responsibility and so I can put on my headphones and tune them out.
People with any sense will sympathise.
Also, many people are very bored on a long flight, so if you are lucky you will sit near a grandparent, parent, or even a child who sees a spell entertaining one of yours as a way to break the monotony of the flight. You certainly are more likely to get to know your fellow passengers when you travel with kids. I remember standing waiting for a stroller at the exit from a flight to the States with almost every person passing me saying goodbye (by name) to my 6 month old son!
I hope your flight goes really well. If you can stay reasonably sane with your two kids at home, you won't find it that much harder on a plane.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Don't have any advice but I hope that they flight goes well.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Any advice welcome.
I'm not long back from a visit to the UK with a 17 month-old and I can confirm you are mad, it's God-forsaken hell.

No sweetners, no BUTs, you won't like the experience. Getting 'the routine' established after you return is actually worse than the flight. Especially if you happen to be feeling second-hand yourself.

Now, that's not to say my daughter was badly behaved or the aircrew (Singapore) were inattentive ... Flight Centre getting our basinette booking wrong didn't help, they can rot in hell for all eternity with their stupid adverts and the ridiculous-looking pilot ... BUT, the whole experience is not to be recommended. Leave the youngest sprog if you can, memories will soon fade ...

To help the experience ... be organised ... take plenty of sterilised bottled water in WATERTIGHT bags ... try to get the bulkhead seats, they make all the difference ... don't give a monkey's about anyone around you and their childless empty lives ... have a 'change bag' with all the bits handy (if required) and replenish this after each visit ... no, really, BE ORGANISED ... be prepared ... drink booze if you want, to hell with recommendations (within limits) ... sleep when they do ... rotate the toys so you have something 'different' at regular intervals ... console yourself that each minute passed is one that won't need to be revisted.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Deadmeat; Jul 23rd 2006 at 9:51 pm. Reason: Like anyone cares about a spelling error
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

andyspud is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Advice :Flying with kids

Any advice welcome.
wargod

My hubby's gone too and i'm flying out on 17 aug with Singapore with three children in tow.

I think it will be ok they are 7,5 and 2. A close friend is putting together flight bags each for them so none of use will know whats inside so that should be fun. Last time we flew over the older two watched cartoons and gamed all the time they were awake.

I have also been told by many people that the stewards are very attentive if your on your own with kids

good luck and best wishes
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:38 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice welcome.
Well I would say you are verging on MAD!!

My tips would be take lots of little presents for them both wrapped up and produce on a as needed basis!! I have bought travel games,cards colouring stuff making stuff, you name it i have bought it, my kids are 7 and 3!! So a little older than yours!!

I have also bought both of mine personal headsets and some of the CD's with stories on, they sell them in WH Smith!!

Taking lots of food to!!

Someone recommended a herbal remidy which is Valerian Root meant to keep kids calm!!?? No idea if it works but will be trying before we fly!!

Sure you will be fine, all my friends that have done it before say it is never as bad as you think it is going to be!! I keeeping my fingers crossed they are right!!!

Good Luck anyway!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.