Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Florida???

Advice on Florida???

Old Aug 26th 2004, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Florida???

Can anyone suggest a good place to swim with Dolphins in Florida from their own experience? Preferably from Ft Lauderdale, south....

I have found a couple of places that do it, but they offer pretty different experiences and would like to get recommendations from people that have done it...The sites I found were Dolphins plus ( http://www.dolphinsplus.com/index.html ) and Theatre of the sea ( http://www.theaterofthesea.com/special-program.html )

Would hate to build up my hopes and then be disappointed....

Cheers

Hels
Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Florida???

Originally Posted by Hels
Can anyone suggest a good place to swim with Dolphins in Florida from their own experience? Preferably from Ft Lauderdale, south....

I have found a couple of places that do it, but they offer pretty different experiences and would like to get recommendations from people that have done it...The sites I found were Dolphins plus ( http://www.dolphinsplus.com/index.html ) and Theatre of the sea ( http://www.theaterofthesea.com/special-program.html )

Cheers

Hels
My brother and his family did it two years ago I think at Theatre of the Sea. They had a great time but if no one else comes forward I will check with him in the morning.

My girls just did it in Portugal a couple of weeks ago - loved it, great experience.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
My brother and his family did it two years ago I think at Theatre of the Sea. They had a great time but if no one else comes forward I will check with him in the morning.

My girls just did it in Portugal a couple of weeks ago - loved it, great experience.

Hey, thanks for that. I wasnt sure if anyone would be able to help, but thought I would ask on the off chance.

I have tried to get a hold of my friends in Ft Lauderdale but have a feeling they are away. I want to try to book it so we can be sure of doing it on a day we want to...

I will appreciate any info you could find out...

Cheers

Hels
Old Aug 27th 2004, 10:13 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

As another option, I'm pretty sure the Miami Seaquarium also offers swimming with the dolphins. I've never done it there I couldn't tell you what it's like.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 10:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. Got it completely wrong. Brother and family did it at Seaworld, Orlando. Loved it but quite expensive. SIL can't remember how much - not a lot of use. She did mention one which I think is the dolphin plus one which is down at Key Largo - she thinks it is done in the sea.

I have def heard of Theatre of the Sea from somewhere so will ask around mates.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Hels
Isn't this in the wrong place??
I swam with wild dolphins in southern Egypt. Brilliant. Also with captive ones in Mexico which was fantastic as they push you along with their snouts.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all
Smile Re: Advice on Florida???

We are swimming with dolphins at Discovery Cove in Orlando this September ( 31 days and counting !!)- sorry this is probably miles from Fort Lauderdale but not very up to date with Florida geography !!!

Anyway it costs £130 each and involves a whole day at the theme park which has huge man made beaches and loads of tropical fish and sting rays that you can snorkel with- there is then a allocated dolphin encounter which lasts about 30 mins

there is a web site if you want more info- cant remember what it is but can let you know if your interested

nat xx
Old Aug 27th 2004, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by natty
We are swimming with dolphins at Discovery Cove in Orlando this September ( 31 days and counting !!)- sorry this is probably miles from Fort Lauderdale but not very up to date with Florida geography !!!

Anyway it costs £130 each and involves a whole day at the theme park which has huge man made beaches and loads of tropical fish and sting rays that you can snorkel with- there is then a allocated dolphin encounter which lasts about 30 mins

there is a web site if you want more info- cant remember what it is but can let you know if your interested

nat xx

Nat,

That would be great! I would appreciate looking at that website, if you dont mind. Trying to gather as many options as possible, thanks

moneypen,

Thanks for that. If you do get a chance to talk to anyone that would be a big help. Thanks.

Hels
Old Aug 27th 2004, 5:49 pm
togooff&things

My sister lives in Coral Springs, Ft Luderdale. That's where were going en-route to OZ. I will ask her when I call her later on and see if she knows.

Old Aug 27th 2004, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

sumpti is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Advice on Florida???

Cheers

Hels

Went to Discovery Cove a couple of years ago and swam there, truly amazing experience, with the opportunity to swim in with Stingray and Sharks (they are behind a glass unit!) The whole day was an amazing experience!
Friend of mine also went down to the Keys and swam down there........
Enjoy it, hoping to do again when we go back in November!
Old Aug 27th 2004, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by togooff&things
My sister lives in Coral Springs, Ft Luderdale. That's where were going en-route to OZ. I will ask her when I call her later on and see if she knows.

That would be awesome!! Thanks!!

I have been trying to call our friends in Ft Lauderdale who we are staying with but I think they are away. Any local recommendations would be great, thanks.

Sumpti.....Yeah, somone else mentioned Discovery Cove on here earlier. I am trying to find the website to have a look at it. It certainly sounds like it could be a good day.
Old Aug 27th 2004, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

sumpti is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be awesome!! Thanks!!

I have been trying to call our friends in Ft Lauderdale who we are staying with but I think they are away. Any local recommendations would be great, thanks.

Sumpti.....Yeah, somone else mentioned Discovery Cove on here earlier. I am trying to find the website to have a look at it. It certainly sounds like it could be a good day.

Hels,
its www.discoverycove.com

the day is fantastic and I can say the food is just as good, they provide you with all your wets and sunlotions too.....we had a fantastic time, boys were too young to go in with the dolphins at the time, but they could go in with the stingray and around the coral area when you dive down and see the sharks coming toward you....whoa! can you tell I'm excited,!!!! It was an amazing experience that I would recommend to anyone!
Em (sumpti)
Old Aug 27th 2004, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sumpti
Hels,
its www.discoverycove.com

the day is fantastic and I can say the food is just as good, they provide you with all your wets and sunlotions too.....we had a fantastic time, boys were too young to go in with the dolphins at the time, but they could go in with the stingray and around the coral area when you dive down and see the sharks coming toward you....whoa! can you tell I'm excited,!!!! It was an amazing experience that I would recommend to anyone!
Em (sumpti)

Em,

I have just looked through the Website...It does look awesome. I will definatly look at the logistics of it because Orlando is 3 hrs north of Ft Lauderdale where we will be. If we can make it up there, it certainly looks like it could be a go-er!!

Thanks for that

Hels
Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:23 pm
togooff&things

Afraid my sister said, only in Flordia keys, East Coast or Cape Canaveral (which is snorkling). Not clear enough water in Ft Lauderdale. Sorry!

Old Aug 27th 2004, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by togooff&things
Afraid my sister said, only in Flordia keys, East Coast or Cape Canaveral (which is snorkling). Not clear enough water in Ft Lauderdale. Sorry!

Thats quite ok though because we had planned to take a couple of days down to the Keys. Just hadn't planned to go to Orlando. So I guess the Keys it is!!

Thanks for everyones input though....I really appreciate it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.