Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice for car hire melbourne

Advice for car hire melbourne

Old Sep 1st 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice for car hire melbourne

Any one got any tips or companies they would recommend for car hire from melbourne, we are on our way to phillip is so would like to drop off nearer there although i have checked out avis cos they have a comp in Wonthaggi and they are fully booked already!! We arrive early Nov, thanks in advance for replies.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for car hire melbourne

Hi

We hired a car from Budget in Southbank, Melbourne. Got a free upgrade, unlimited mileage and paid extra insurance got 6 days for £185.00. Car was really new. We will use them again.
Old Sep 1st 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

iainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura aboutiainandsam has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AJCS
Hi

We hired a car from Budget in Southbank, Melbourne. Got a free upgrade, unlimited mileage and paid extra insurance got 6 days for £185.00. Car was really new. We will use them again.
Thanks for that did you pick up from the airport or do you have to get to Southbank?
Old Sep 1st 2008, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

We hired from the airport with Thrifty. I know that if you pick-up away from the airport it's cheaper etc. but we wanted the convenience of getting it at the airport esp as we had a just 3yr old travelling with us.

I've also hired with Thrifty locally for visiting family and they consistantly come up cheaper for us (web deals). Most hire co's will let you return the vehicle to another destination for a small charge (the computer booking page may reject this so best to phone them about that)
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iainandsam
Any one got any tips or companies they would recommend for car hire from melbourne, we are on our way to phillip is so would like to drop off nearer there although i have checked out avis cos they have a comp in Wonthaggi and they are fully booked already!! We arrive early Nov, thanks in advance for replies.
Hi Iain
We will be in Melbourne in 2 weeks and also need to get a hire car and am a bit worried when you say that avis are fully booked up. Is that from the airport? Usually the car hire companies over here always have plenty of cars for hire. Is it usual for them to be booked out in Oz?
I was going to wait till we got to Melbourne airport to choose a car and to see what the best deal is.
Should I book online already now?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Hi Iain
We will be in Melbourne in 2 weeks and also need to get a hire car and am a bit worried when you say that avis are fully booked up. Is that from the airport? Usually the car hire companies over here always have plenty of cars for hire. Is it usual for them to be booked out in Oz?
I was going to wait till we got to Melbourne airport to choose a car and to see what the best deal is.

I just checked this online as i wanted to drop off in Wonthaggi instead of going back to airport and i too was surprised they are booked up this early maybe its because i wanted to drop off in different location, check out your dates etc.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

AJCS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that did you pick up from the airport or do you have to get to Southbank?
Hiya

We picked it up at Southbank. dropped it off at the same place.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Hi Iain
Hi

It may be because of school holidays - they start in 3 weeks so if your hire car goes over that period it may explain it. Try looking at one week's car hire and see if that works better.

On-line quotes can usually give better prices than phoning around.

I personally wouldn't be wanting to shop around for car hire when you've just arrived from that flight.

Good luck.

Carolyn
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:20 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.holidayautos.com/ is a good place to start, followed by expedia, priceline, then hertz, avis, budget, europcar... Then if you're a member of a trade union or the Automobile Association/similar, try going through their website for codes etc. Then look for local independent players... It depends how much you want to save money.

I definitely wouldn't just show up at the airport and try choosing there - not only would you be getting the no-discount "rack rate", you'd also run the risk of getting stuck with e.g. nothing but Mercs!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:38 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
Hi

It may be because of school holidays - they start in 3 weeks so if your hire car goes over that period it may explain it. Try looking at one week's car hire and see if that works better.

On-line quotes can usually give better prices than phoning around.

I personally wouldn't be wanting to shop around for car hire when you've just arrived from that flight.

Good luck.

Carolyn
School Holidays start Friday 12th for 3 weeks (although some schools its only for 2 weeks and that may be starting the week after)

Please do not turn up to the airport unbooked. Last time I collected a car from melbourne their were 8 people waiting with very worried looks on their faces, having already been to the other players Avis was their last hope before taxi.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

You could drop off in Dandenong, it is approx 1hr 10 min from Philip Island
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

What sort of car do you suggest hiring for lots of luggage prob 4 x suitcases plus 4 x hand luggage. Have been looking at Mitsubishi 380?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 9:03 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of car do you suggest hiring for lots of luggage prob 4 x suitcases plus 4 x hand luggage. Have been looking at Mitsubishi 380?
You will get whats available and what they have in the fleet at the time.

You need to choose a class (but ask what is in that class as they do differ between companies ie Avis to Hertz)

The express bus from airport to CBD is apparently very efficient - you could hotel it for one night then pick your car up fresh and revived in the AM?

The 380 is a great car when compared with the cmdore or falcon. But boot space may not fit all of that in. We only managed to get our pram bag (size of golf bag) and one large suitcase in.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

We used thrifty. Cheaper than others incl rentabomb etc.
Trouble is, the excess is horrendous - about $2500 (like most other co's)
So rent of $21 a day had $16 a day added to reduce excess to a measly $400!

Did pick up in Melbourne, as driving after the flight seemed mad. Checked drop of elsewhere in Melbourne and daily rate went up to $32 or so.

The car was a medium 5 door hatch (nissan tilda) and quite roomy for 3 of us, but with 4 large cases plus hand luggage was a tight squeeze in the end.

The car was covered in small scratches and dents and they said they didn't care about these (but I made the guy mark loads on his sheet). So a small scratch is unlikely to cost you that excess.

Also on pickup they told me the tank guage on the tildas only shows 3/4 when it has been filled. When I dropped it back it showed full. I told them, they checked it and refunded me $16 ! Not sure if it was a try-on, but worth checking. We actually found them helpful and friendly, so like to think it was genuine.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

samay is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by carlap
We used thrifty. Cheaper than others incl rentabomb etc.
Trouble is, the excess is horrendous - about $2500 (like most other co's)
So rent of $21 a day had $16 a day added to reduce excess to a measly $400!
If you are planning to hire a car more than once while visiting Australia it may be worthwhile to take out Car Hire Excess Insurance before you leave the UK. http://www.insurance4carhire.com is underwritten by AIG and you can also download a guide to car rental from the website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.