Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on calling cards please

Advice on calling cards please

Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice
Default Advice on calling cards please

Are these the most cost effective way to call the UK? Can anyone recommend a good one? I think I prefer something that does not have a connection fee and preferably that I can top up online.

Appreciate any suggestions!
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Advice on calling cards please

A very popular and price competitive option comes from using Skype (www.skype.com) to make telephone calls from your computer, intead of using calling cards.

Just in case you do not know, services like Skype allow work in two modes, one where you can call someone else's telephone at very low cost, the other mode allowing one to talk for free to someone else logged onto their computer.

For instance, my wiufe calls her relatives in Hong Kong from here in Melbourne. One hour on Skype costs about one Euro.

Neil
Old Jan 25th 2006, 11:28 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use skype, but sometimes I just like to pick up the phone and for that I use Talk Tomato phone cards, used a few since I have been here but Talk Tomato is def the best I have tried.
The last one I bought I paid $50.00 and got $5.00 free and had 5000 minutes to the UK. Only problem is it only lasts for 3 months and I still have 1800 minutes left and a month to use them in so next time I will stick to the $20.00

I have managed to find these in most News Agencies.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

sid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nicesid_s is just really nice

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
I use skype, but sometimes I just like to pick up the phone and for that I use Talk Tomato phone cards, used a few since I have been here but Talk Tomato is def the best I have tried.
The last one I bought I paid $50.00 and got $5.00 free and had 5000 minutes to the UK. Only problem is it only lasts for 3 months and I still have 1800 minutes left and a month to use them in so next time I will stick to the $20.00

I have managed to find these in most News Agencies.
Thanks, I'll give this a go. We haven't got our PC's yet so might investigate skype a little later.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:33 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Sid,

We use Say G'day but I think there's a few very cheap ones.

Only time they fail is at times like xmas when because of the volume of calls you can't always get a network connection.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid_s
Are these the most cost effective way to call the UK? Can anyone recommend a good one? I think I prefer something that does not have a connection fee and preferably that I can top up online.

Appreciate any suggestions!
Talking Cow another good one for calling the UK

John
Old Jan 27th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we use supersaver, which you can buy at Coles.

50 dollars gives about 3000mins to UK and you can attach it to your home phone so that you don't have to dial in long voucher numbers each time.
They have been really good- about 2c per min to UK.
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We use OzCall which costs about 1c per minute to the Uk and there is no limit on how long the credit lasts.

Good service!!
Old Jan 27th 2006, 1:22 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

I asked the same question and got put onto www.melbourneconnect.com.au there you can compare lots of different cards. You dont have to be calling from Melbourne. You buy online and you jet your card PIN instantly.

Beware of hidden costs on some cards like local call added on top per minute etc.

We have been using for about 6 months now the Eurolink card it's $8.99 for approx 550 minutes I think it expires in 6 months but mine only last about 2 weeks with the amount of phone calls I make!

It's worth a look.

Louise
Old Jan 27th 2006, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Matt76 is an unknown quantity at this point

AAPT (as your main phone provided) used to be reasonable to. A call would be capped at $1.80 for upto 30 mins to uk landline. Expensive to mobiles though.

If your going to call mobiles a lot we now have a Engin box that connects to our broadband, think there's a monthly connection fee though but the calls area cheap as chips.