Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying a van

Advice on buying a van

Old Jun 27th 2005, 7:08 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Advice on buying a van

I'm after buying a van when I arrive in Perth in September (fingers crossed)
I have a covenant on my property which states that no commercial vehicles can be parked on the road or driveway after 6pm.
So I need a van which will fit in my garage and I can fit 8x4 sheets in it.
Any ideas?
Old Jun 27th 2005, 9:22 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Advice on buying a van

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Any ideas?
What about a Toyota Townace?
Old Jun 27th 2005, 9:25 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

I have a covenant on my property which states that no commercial vehicles can be parked on the road or driveway after 6pm.
Any ideas?
All the usual caveats apply (i.e. I'm not a lawyer) but I don't think anyone is going to object to you having a normal size van in your driveway. This condition is used to stop people parking large trucks (lorrys in Pom-speak) etc. in residential areas.

As for vans, most of the new vans in Oz come from companies like Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, etc. They all have Aussie websites.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 11:47 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas?
I've been chasing insurance companies all day and had loads of problems trying to sort out our vehicle after a recent smash. I enquired about commercial insurance and now have it on good authority that our Courier Ute was insured correctly for it's use also that it's not classed as commercial.
I think by commercial they are referring to a bigger vehicle i.e a medium rigid upwards. You should be ok with any of the small Ute's and panel vans available here. Lwb transits or the hi ace type vans will take an 8x4 sheet just. Though with racks any of the Toyota hilux, Ford courier, Nissan nivara or Holden rodeos will take the required sheets. You can claim a 100% work usage deduction if your vehicle is capable of carrying a tonne or more.
Good luck
Have a look at www.redbook.com.au for second hand prices and comparrisons