Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying property

Advice on buying property

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

2517_Lon has a spectacular aura about2517_Lon has a spectacular aura about2517_Lon has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice on buying property

Hi all
I was wondering if someone could please give me advice.
My husband and I are in the process of moving to Australia, but because of work commitments it won't be until next year.

In the meantime we have decided that instead of buying a property in London, we hope to buy a property in Brisbane. I'm going over to visit relatives in November so I thought it might be a good time to look.

Has anybody done this? What are the pitfalls?

And does anybody know if the UK banks will give a mortgage to buy a property in Oz, and if so how easy it is it?

Or should we just bide our time until then and buy when we land?

Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 1:55 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on buying property

Great time to buy. Brisbane prices have dropped.....But shit time to get a mortgage.
Life eh?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

No chance getting a mortgage in the UK for it. And even if you could why would you if you - assuming you will be working and earning money here?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steen1976
No chance getting a mortgage in the UK for it. And even if you could why would you if you - assuming you will be working and earning money here?
2 - 3 % interest rates.

of course if the pound was to strengthen (due to rising interest rates) you might find repayments becomming rather extreme as you would get a double whammy.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:01 am
Just Joined

2517_Lon has a spectacular aura about2517_Lon has a spectacular aura about2517_Lon has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for this. It's confusing times. I think that we need a reality check and are trying to be too organised planning in advance.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:17 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few variables:

a) Do you have Permanent Residency? if temporary you cannot buy without special dispensation.

b) When you transfer your sterling I expect you have to downsize your expectations quite a bit. It would tie you in to a market here which is just starting to come down from its bubble and converting currency when the UK is (probably) close to its weakest.

c) I think it's 99.999% unlikely you would be given a mortgage in the UK to buy in Australia. The lender would have no security over the asset.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you use the time when you visit to really research and get a good feeling for different areas. Have a look in real estate offices for a rough estimation of prices, bearing in mind a year could show quite a bit of change. Have a look at the schools, if applicable, facilities, shopping etc.. At least then when you return with hubby you will know a wee bit about certain areas, certainly areas you may wish to avoid also!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
There are a few variables:

a) Do you have Permanent Residency? if temporary you cannot buy without special dispensation.
Really? Do you have links for information around that?

How do foreign buyers purchase property then? You know, all those chinese investors piling up their belts with properties in Australia.

And, I would like to know how that would go with being a kiwi seeing as technically you are on a temporary visa.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana

How do foreign buyers purchase property then? You know, all those chinese investors piling up their belts with properties in Australia.

And, I would like to know how that would go with being a kiwi seeing as technically you are on a temporary visa.
Most 'foreigners' need permission to buy property in Australia from the FIRB. There are some exceptions (being an NZ citizen is one). All the details are on the FIRB website.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:02 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana

There aren't lots of Chinese investors buying properties in Australia any more. The government obviously decided its policies could produce a colossal housing bubble on their own!
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Getting FIRB approval to buy a residential property is pretty routine, more like a rubber stamp, we did this in 2006.

I agree with a previous poster that there is quite some risk in buying a property in one currency with money borrowed in another currency.

No-one knows which way it will go, but it is a fact that the A$ is historically strong and the pound relatively weak at the moment.

I just wouldn't go there; a big financial piece of your life outside your control.

Good luck