Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying a laptop please !!

Advice on buying a laptop please !!

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:10 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice on buying a laptop please !!

wsbtroyno21,
this is to let you know that your thread is safely hijaaaaaaaaked

- Bart
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:40 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
We are thinking about buying a laptop. I have been looking on the internet and as with most things the choice and price range is huge. I had a look at Dell's Australian website and they are offering free delivery, free screen upgrade, free memory upgrade and free hard drive storage upgrade. ( http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...=au&l=en&s=dhs )

Has anyone used Dell before? Are they any good or would we be better just buying from a shop?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Wendy

We.......

I wanted a bloody boat............

ZX............

Last edited by zx10r_aus; Jan 3rd 2006 at 8:13 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:11 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
We.......

I wanted a bloody boat............

ZX............
Jim.....you can't beat em' mate......sometimes wise not to even try!

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:15 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ

Well she said that I could buy a boat, and now she's going out and buying laptop. I'm gunna have to start recording every conversation we have....

ZX........
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

We are thinking about buying a laptop. I have been looking on the internet and as with most things the choice and price range is huge. I had a look at Dell's Australian website and they are offering free delivery, free screen upgrade, free memory upgrade and free hard drive storage upgrade. ( http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...=au&l=en&s=dhs )

Has anyone used Dell before? Are they any good or would we be better just buying from a shop?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Wendy
Hi Wendy

I have heard bad things about dells in the past. We bought a laptop for the same reasons as you, didnt want to be without a pc for 3 months and for digital camera etc.

We went with an ASUS in the end from laptopcraze.com. We have had it a few months now and love it. great machine. The reason we picked ASUS though is they do 2 years international warranty as standard and have places in australia.

Hope this helps

Laura
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 9:08 pm
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
As part of my job, I have to use a lap top a lot when travelling and they got a lot of use and abuse.
Dell is perfect for this and reliable.
I do agree that the support centre in India is far from perfect and I don't understand how they can justify employing staff with such poor command of the English language.
I would add - DO NOT BUY A DELL PRINTER. Apart from being "average" quality, they plough through ink, cartridges are expensive and only available through Dell and it is impossible to default the print setting to economy mode.

I have a small but powerful Dell lap top, 3.5 yrs old now so getting on a bit. I dock it at home to a decent flat LCD screen and full size keyboard and mouse. I would recommend doing the same.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew........good advice especially about NOT buying a Dell printer....Cheers !!!

Wendy
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 9:09 pm

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pity Bart, you do a terrible job of it!!

(Wendy, soz for hijacking your thread - I'm off now)!!

PMSL.......you can hijack my thread anytime........its bloody hilarious......

Wendy
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 9:12 pm

hey Rob

Don't you go bloody encouraging him mate !!!!

HE was the one who mentioned getting a flamin' laptop....his "wish list" has been never ending since we got here....lol. :scared:

Wendy

PS ...I dunno.....all you bloody truckies stick together dontcha !!!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hi Wendy

I have heard bad things about dells in the past. We bought a laptop for the same reasons as you, didnt want to be without a pc for 3 months and for digital camera etc.

We went with an ASUS in the end from laptopcraze.com. We have had it a few months now and love it. great machine. The reason we picked ASUS though is they do 2 years international warranty as standard and have places in australia.

Hope this helps

Laura

Thanks Laura...I will check out the website you mentioned....

Wendy
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:35 pm
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

Sorry to put the thread back on track, but here is a good deal: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/822202
We have one of these, albeit a slightly older model and it has been great. We had some extra RAM put in and we use it more than the desktop. It was mentioned that it would be used for a digital camera. This model has a port for the various popular memory cards. We use a Sony MemoryStick PRO. Also COMPAQ is now part of Hewlett Packard - one of the biggest computer manufacturers in the world. Also has worldwide warranty due to the portable nature of the product.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i've got an IBM ThinkPad X41 Tablet.... i can flip the screen and write on just like it was a notepad.....

have to say a bloody love it!! xmas pressie from my dad and i think it's the pups nuts!

not much good tho if you don't really want a tablet!
Old Jan 4th 2006, 1:23 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

hey Rob

Don't you go bloody encouraging him mate !!!!

HE was the one who mentioned getting a flamin' laptop....his "wish list" has been never ending since we got here....lol. :scared:

Wendy

PS ...I dunno.....all you bloody truckies stick together dontcha !!!
Wendy, bet my wishlist is longer than Jim's already!! Wannit, wannit, wannit
As for a boat....do you have any water in ACT?
Old Jan 5th 2006, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Wendy, bet my wishlist is longer than Jim's already!! Wannit, wannit, wannit
As for a boat....do you have any water in ACT?

Jim has a very BIG wishlist.......but he doesn't like to brag about it...

We have heaps of water in the ACT......Lake Burley Griffin and Lake Tuggeranong are a short drive from wher we live. And there are plenty of other lakes and rivers. The coast is only an hour or two's drive away. Canberra has so much open space and parks it is unbelievable.

Wendy

PS Glad to see you back on the forum....your sense of humour is much needed !!
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by andrew63
As part of my job, I have to use a lap top a lot when travelling and they got a lot of use and abuse.
Dell is perfect for this and reliable....
Andrew
Some have other views http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/?p=69

at end

"Tim Beyer’s made good analysis of the Apple situation in his Motley Fool article earlier this year. He speculates that Apple’s intentions are “to lure those buying computers from Dell - or Gateway, or Acer, or even iPod partner Hewlett-Packard - into trying a Mac.” Indeed, with Apple-designed Intel hardware on the market, it’s hard to imagine anybody bothering with the “value added” PC manufacturers. They don’t even have to run Mac OS X. If it’s a matter of spending a few hundred extra dollars to have a PC that looks like their iPod and meets Apple’s high component quality standards, they’ll pick Apple over Dell every time.

The icing on this cake? I own a Dell. It was my first experience with PC hardware ownership, which means it was also my first experience with the “privilege” (necessity) of having to buy industry-standard replacement parts when things “just break.” And this is the “user-friendly” end of the PC hardware spectrum? The damn thing sucks. I have to keep a PC around, particularly for porting work that I do from Windows to the Mac, but everything about this box makes me cringe. It’s been a few years since I bought it, so I’m due for an upgrade. But my next PC will run on Apple hardware. I expect yours will, too."
Old Jan 7th 2006, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Ah yeh, and I forgot to mention that unless you want to lug around a mouse as well (or a trackball ... they are like upside-down mice that don't move, very handy for limited desk space) you have to make sure you can get along with the touch-tablet or whatever the mouse-substitute is (sometimes a raised pressure-sensitive bud cheekily called a 'nipple' ... or maybe that's just me ...).

Nothing worse than not being able to move that cursor that way you want reliably ... or even worse, not being able to type because the keyboard/touchpad are badly designed.

On the call-centre issue, I could give a monkey's if they are based in the Tora Bora Mountains and all proceeds are going to fund radical clerics and their evil doings ... as long as they send me a replacement memory stick within 5 working days when I tell them "yes I know what I'm doing" and "yes it's definitely a memory problem"!

Sure, <insert sweeping anti-globalisation statement based on reading "No Logo" here> it'll be taking jobs away from the local economy but from what I've seen most people out of work here don't want to work ... give the sub-continent a go, they've done wonders for the medical profession and making sure corner shops stay open when you want 'em too

Regards,
Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.