Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying a laptop please !!

Advice on buying a laptop please !!

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:24 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on buying a laptop please !!

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
We are thinking about buying a laptop. I have been looking on the internet and as with most things the choice and price range is huge. I had a look at Dell's Australian website and they are offering free delivery, free screen upgrade, free memory upgrade and free hard drive storage upgrade. ( http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...=au&l=en&s=dhs )

Has anyone used Dell before? Are they any good or would we be better just buying from a shop?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Wendy
As part of my job, I have to use a lap top a lot when travelling and they got a lot of use and abuse.
Dell is perfect for this and reliable.
I do agree that the support centre in India is far from perfect and I don't understand how they can justify employing staff with such poor command of the English language.
I would add - DO NOT BUY A DELL PRINTER. Apart from being "average" quality, they plough through ink, cartridges are expensive and only available through Dell and it is impossible to default the print setting to economy mode.

I have a small but powerful Dell lap top, 3.5 yrs old now so getting on a bit. I dock it at home to a decent flat LCD screen and full size keyboard and mouse. I would recommend doing the same.

Andrew
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:29 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andrew63
As part of my job, I have to use a lap top a lot when travelling and they got a lot of use and abuse.
Dell is perfect for this and reliable.
I do agree that the support centre in India is far from perfect and I don't understand how they can justify employing staff with such poor command of the English language.
I would add - DO NOT BUY A DELL PRINTER. Apart from being "average" quality, they plough through ink, cartridges are expensive and only available through Dell and it is impossible to default the print setting to economy mode.

I have a small but powerful Dell lap top, 3.5 yrs old now so getting on a bit. I dock it at home to a decent flat LCD screen and full size keyboard and mouse. I would recommend doing the same.

Andrew
Another Xeno(phobic) Effect
- Bart
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:31 am
Just Joined

phllb is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Advice on buying a laptop please !!

Hi Wendy,

I don't consider myself an expert but seeing as I have been working in IT for 10 years now perhaps my advice will help you out - I bought a Dell desktop much to my surprise (I always thought Dell was no good and had heard lots of bad things about them), but I have to say apart from the ATI graphics card being a bit buggy due to Windows more than the card, I have been very happy with my purchase for what I describe as a "package pc" i.e. one I have not built myself.

It has been reliable and consistent once I upgraded the driver from the ATI website and there is plenty of room for upgrade so if that is anything to go buy, then a Dell laptop would probably be ok - but are you going to get a 64 bit pc?

Philip.

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
We are thinking about buying a laptop. I have been looking on the internet and as with most things the choice and price range is huge. I had a look at Dell's Australian website and they are offering free delivery, free screen upgrade, free memory upgrade and free hard drive storage upgrade. ( http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...=au&l=en&s=dhs )

Has anyone used Dell before? Are they any good or would we be better just buying from a shop?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Wendy
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:34 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Tell us what exactly do you want...
This thread goes as if "every mouth has it own taste", replace mouth = experience.
If you tell us your specs, I think there will be more i/p to this.
I took lots of feedback from BE, but did what I found to be best in budget sense. Also there were lots of valuable i/p from BE which helped me to make decisions...
- Bart
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:34 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
Was it imp to put "Indian support centre". nyways people across Europe and in Australia a bit sentimental about India, you are adding fuel to it..

We should stop being sarcastic or being anti religious... This will solve world 1/2 of the problem. Other 1/3 can be solved by environmental problems..

- Bart
Bart

Who the hell was being sarcastis OR Anti-religous?????

The poster was simply highlighting that the Indian Support Centre wasn't very good!
Hell, it could have been in Outer Mongolia...who cares? The fact is, it's an important factor when buying new equipment, and one that should be taken into account!!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:38 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Bart

Who the hell was being sarcastis OR Anti-religous?????

The poster was simply highlighting that the Indian Support Centre wasn't very good!
Hell, it could have been in Outer Mongolia...who cares? The fact is, it's an important factor when buying new equipment, and one that should be taken into account!!
And my question is how did you know that your call was picked up by Indiaaaaaaaaaan?
Those Taiwan, Indonesian etc call centre guys are so crapy, its all blamed on Indian in name of Asian...
I found it to be so stupid they cant even pronounce the name properly, well "Blame it on Rio ", if you remember Michale Caine ...
And you should not ask me why I know that much about Dell...
- Bart
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:51 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

And my question is how did you know that your call was picked up by Indiaaaaaaaaaan?
Those Taiwan, Indonesian etc call centre guys are so crapy, its all blamed on Indian in name of Asian...
I found it to be so stupid they cant even pronounce the name properly, well "Blame it on Rio ", if you remember Michale Caine ...
- Bart
Bart

A suggestion!

Go away, learn to make your posts understandable in plain English, then come back, and perhaps we can then debate the issue!!
As it stands at the moment, I haven't got a clue what the heck you are on about!!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:55 am
Nos De Caraid...

Bart

A suggestion!

Go away, learn to make your posts understandable in plain English, then come back, and perhaps we can then debate the issue!!
As it stands at the moment, I haven't got a clue what the heck you are on about!!
oops, and I wrote german.
Pal I dont know more how to put is simple. I think I should start like this, just the heck of it
A = Aamerica
b = baalgeria
c = kambodia
d = doobai

- Bart
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 5:59 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

- Bart
Dells support centre is in India.
Not for much longer due to complaints...http://www.technewsworld.com/story/32248.html

Andrew
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:00 am
Account Closed

oops, and I wrote german.
Pal I dont know more how to put is simple. I think I should start like this, just the heck of it
A = Aamerica
b = baalgeria
c = kambodia
d = doobai

- Bart
I despair

I must admit to a quiet chuckle when I read yor posts though!!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:02 am
Nos De Caraid...

I despair

I must admit to a quiet chuckle when I read yor posts though!!
"I am here to annoy you"

- Bart
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:05 am
Account Closed

"I am here to annoy you"

- Bart
That's a pity Bart, you do a terrible job of it!!

(Wendy, soz for hijacking your thread - I'm off now)!!

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:05 am
Nos De Caraid...

Not for much longer due to complaints...http://www.technewsworld.com/story/32248.html

Andrew
hmm now I wonder...!
They said they are moving the jobs from Banglore and moved to to North of Delhi (somewhere, but no in Delhi)
Thanks to Kevin Rollins
- Bart
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:07 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew
That doesn't come as a big surprise.

Thats the advantage here in Holland. Outsoucing of this sort of thing is a bit more difficult because theres not that many people in the world that speak Dutch !!
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:09 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by furkew
That doesn't come as a big surprise.

Thats the advantage here in Holland. Outsoucing of this sort of thing is a bit more difficult because theres not that many people in the world that speak Dutch !!
Dont worry Dutch market is not so big, the day it grows like Japan, US, Europe then you will see people learning Dutch.
btw, Indians are learning Japanse as they feel the hugh market is in Japan then Europe.
Its SOS for European customers
- Bart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.