Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice on builders licence

advice on builders licence

Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about
Default advice on builders licence

Hi, i am heading for Queensland and have been in the trade 20yrs, i have passed my vetassess assessment and applied for the 175 visa. I have emailed tafe and bsa as i have heard you can do online course whilst still in uk to speed up getting a builders licence when arriving in Oz. I have not heard from either and don't know if it is just me but i keep going around in circles on their websites!
Can anyone offer any advice as to be able to do the couse online?
Thnx Tim
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: advice on builders licence

Originally Posted by jollyswagman
Hi, i am heading for Queensland and have been in the trade 20yrs, i have passed my vetassess assessment and applied for the 175 visa. I have emailed tafe and bsa as i have heard you can do online course whilst still in uk to speed up getting a builders licence when arriving in Oz. I have not heard from either and don't know if it is just me but i keep going around in circles on their websites!
Thnx Tim
Try this

http://www.oli.tafe.net/oli/owa/oli_...13268A1014B8AF
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura aboutjollyswagman has a spectacular aura about

Will do thnx mate!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

That link didn't work and I would love to see where my OH could do this on line.

Thanks

Carrianne
Old Aug 16th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

That link didn't work and I would love to see where my OH could do this on line.

Thanks

Carrianne
Sorry, dont know why I cant make that link work! here is the home page

http://www.openlearning.tafe.qld.gov.au/

Go to "courses & carreers" at the top navigation bar, Then " search for a course" then "View course list"

Cert IV Building is in that list
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:21 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windog
Sorry, dont know why I cant make that link work! here is the home page

http://www.openlearning.tafe.qld.gov.au/

Go to "courses & carreers" at the top navigation bar, Then " search for a course" then "View course list"

Cert IV Building is in that list
Can't find anything that will help him on the list. It will be a little difficult to do the practical stuff online. I don't think what he wants to do is possible.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:29 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thnx Tim
Try these guys......http://www.csq.org.au/index.php?opti...481&Itemid=361
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Thnx Tim
Hi, I have got my bsa license in shop fitting and dry wall plastering which took a few weeks from start to finish. You will not need a builders license straight away unless you are going to go straight into building your own projects as soon as you get here.

If you intend on working as a subbie for another company to start with all you need is your blue card safety training certificate which is a 4 hour course and costs around $100.00.

You also need an ABN Australian Business Number which is done online when you get here and have an address, this takes about a week to ten days to come through.

The builders license is not that easy to get. If you are an experienced builder and have completed lots of different building projects it will be easier but you will need plenty of evidence. You will need references, photos, testimonials from various companies and clients etc. You still have to do a course here but with previous experience takes about 6 months on a part-time basis.

As I said before unless you intend on going straight out on your own you will not need these licenses to get yourself started.

I did my blue card training and another couple of courses through The Master Builders. Drop them a line or google them for an email address and I am sure they can point you in the right direction. Going through them they put me in touch with a company called ACTS Australian Construction Training Services who came out to the site I was on and assessed me, did some coursework in their offices and certified me in my trades so I could gain my relevant BSA licenses.

It does seem like a lot of hard work but its just the way things are here and it gets clearer when you are here and doing the stuff you need to do.

What do you intend on doing when you get here and where are you headed for...?

Good luck, Mick