Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice for a buddie....Drug conviction

Advice for a buddie....Drug conviction

Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:22 pm
Aid
Just Joined

Aid is a jewel in the roughAid is a jewel in the roughAid is a jewel in the roughAid is a jewel in the roughAid is a jewel in the rough
Post Advice for a buddie....Drug conviction

Hi all, shared my plans (which are progressing nicely) with a buddie who confessed he would like to go to Oz but has never progressed it because he thinks he is a non starter.... over 10 years ago he got busted for cannabis possesion- so has a drug related criminal record.... many years later he is an upstanding famliy man by anyones standards.... the conversation then yeilded that his mum and dad were 10-pound Poms in the 60's but unfourtunatly split up and both came back to the UK.......

I've suggested he get an Agent to discuss options and possibly reinstate his parents visas and follow the next of kin route, with a plea acknowlwding his old convictions etc.....

what is anyone elses, thoughts and experiences in this kind of scenario.

cheers all.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for a buddie....Drug conviction

Originally Posted by Aid
Hi all, shared my plans (which are progressing nicely) with a buddie who confessed he would like to go to Oz but has never progressed it because he thinks he is a non starter.... over 10 years ago he got busted for cannabis possesion- so has a drug related criminal record.... many years later he is an upstanding famliy man by anyones standards.... the conversation then yeilded that his mum and dad were 10-pound Poms in the 60's but unfourtunatly split up and both came back to the UK.......

I've suggested he get an Agent to discuss options and possibly reinstate his parents visas and follow the next of kin route, with a plea acknowlwding his old convictions etc.....

what is anyone elses, thoughts and experiences in this kind of scenario.

cheers all.
Sure this one has been on here several times and as far as I know custodial sentence of over 12 months is only thing that will prevent immigration to Australia. So tell you mate not to worry
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:28 pm
Aid
Just Joined

Aid is a jewel in the roughAid is a jewel in the roughAid is a jewel in the roughAid is a jewel in the roughAid is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Advice for a buddie....Drug conviction

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Sure this one has been on here several times and as far as I know custodial sentence of over 12 months is only thing that will prevent immigration to Australia. So tell you mate not to worry

good work fella, I'll tell him to chill..... but not to much

TVM,
Aid.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

So tell you mate not to worry

.......roflmao
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

laverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nice

as long as he didnt do a stint of 12 months in prison, shouldnt be a problem , (have to check if community service is also a regulation of disaproval).
i had done time about 2 yrs before i applied to emmigrate, i was honest, sent all my court papers to agent, and just over a year later got the green light to validate visa's, now were in Oz. personally think my agent done a grea job on my application, without him i doubt id have got it as many agents pondered my application then said possible, others just said out right NO CHANCE.
also my agent was/is in Australia which think helped too.

let me know if ya need to know anything, and let me know how it goes for him.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:38 pm
Aid
Just Joined

Originally Posted by laverda down under
as long as he didnt do a stint of 12 months in prison, shouldnt be a problem , (have to check if community service is also a regulation of disaproval).
i had done time about 2 yrs before i applied to emmigrate, i was honest, sent all my court papers to agent, and just over a year later got the green light to validate visa's, now were in Oz. personally think my agent done a grea job on my application, without him i doubt id have got it as many agents pondered my application then said possible, others just said out right NO CHANCE.
also my agent was/is in Australia which think helped too.

let me know if ya need to know anything, and let me know how it goes for him.

Hey thanks for that, I'm meeting him for a beer tommorow...today... well in 11.5 hrs! so may want to ask for agent referal etc and will ping you if needed... Congrats on your successfull migration btw.

thanks for your help.
aid.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 11:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the only character related issue that can prevent migration. Your friend should get professional advice from an agent experienced in character matters (not all agents know much about this).

Jeremy
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:03 am
Aid
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not the only character related issue that can prevent migration. Your friend should get professional advice from an agent experienced in character matters (not all agents know much about this).

Jeremy

thanks for this I guess me saying he is a smashing chap does not count as a character reference!

I hear ya , thanks for your input.
Aid.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

laverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nice

Hmmm odd that...i was never asked to get charachter statements. guess they thought i was a nice fella ... lol
end of the day, if you get all points, pass tra, pass police checks, pass medical...your still not garunteed to be accepted.. simple as that just means you have a bloody good chance.