Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Brisbane suburbs appreciated

Advice on Brisbane suburbs appreciated

Old May 11th 2016, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Lorib786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Brisbane suburbs appreciated

Hi, we have started the visa process and we are hoping to move to Brisbane in the next 12 months. We would like advice on the best family friendly suburbs please. We have a 10 year old and a 9 month old baby and would like to live somewhere with good transport links, schools, soccer clubs and shopping, affordable housing and within 20 miles of CBD......asking an awful lot I know 🙈 Any advice is very much appreciated 😄
Old May 11th 2016, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Brisbane suburbs appreciated

Most suburbs within 20 minutes of the Brisbane CBD would fit your needs. Style of housing may differ and you may prefer an area with newer homes rather than traditional Queensland style homes. Public transport is pretty good in most inner suburbs, the suburbs south of the city probably have the best busway if that's important to you. There are large Westfield shopping centres at Chermside, Carindale, Garden City (Mt Gravatt) and Indooroopilly. The closer you are to the city, the more choice you will have with both private and decent state schooling.
Old May 12th 2016, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Lorib786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank-you Kim 😀 That's very helpful X
Old May 29th 2016, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Belle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I'm moving to Brisbane in August with my 18yr old and 12 yr old. My youngest will be attending Brisbane Boys College in Toowong so I will be looking at areas around Indooroopilly, The Gap, Upper Kedron, Everton Park.
I drove round these places last February and they looked nice from what I saw.
My brother lives in Mount Gravatt East, I like that area too but too long winded to get through rush hour traffic for school, so really looking for places North of the river.
Hope this helps!
Old May 31st 2016, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

WilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud of

I live in the gap and work in toowong the traffic isnt too bad if you know the little shortcuts. The Gap seems to me to be a great place to stay for us. Walking distance to parks and a decent bus service in to town.
Old May 31st 2016, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Belle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond reputeBelle121 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah that's interesting to know. How long does it take roughly in rush hour to get to Toowong?
Old May 31st 2016, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

WilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud ofWilliamStacey has much to be proud of

I can do it in about 20-25 mins most mornings. not too long, it would take about an hour on public transport i'm led to believe
Old May 31st 2016, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Belle121
Hi, I'm moving to Brisbane in August with my 18yr old and 12 yr old. My youngest will be attending Brisbane Boys College in Toowong so I will be looking at areas around Indooroopilly, The Gap, Upper Kedron, Everton Park.
I drove round these places last February and they looked nice from what I saw.
My brother lives in Mount Gravatt East, I like that area too but too long winded to get through rush hour traffic for school, so really looking for places North of the river.
Hope this helps!
I live in Jindalee and work in Toowong, it takes 10 minutes for me to get to work but my start and finish times are not in peak hour. It would be at least double that during peak hour.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kim67
I live in Jindalee and work in Toowong, it takes 10 minutes for me to get to work but my start and finish times are not in peak hour. It would be at least double that during peak hour.
Yeah chopper dave is always talking about the jindalee bridge, i miss most of it though
Old Jun 1st 2016, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for replying. Interesting stuff. I'm surprised that public transport is that slow from the Gap! But I guess stopping every 5 mins does make it slow.
So, Kim67, no problems getting over the river then?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Belle121
Thanks everyone for replying. Interesting stuff. I'm surprised that public transport is that slow from the Gap! But I guess stopping every 5 mins does make it slow.
So, Kim67, no problems getting over the river then?
No, not usually. A couple of days a week I travel from Jindalee to South Brisbane during peak hour. I used to take the kids with me and they'd catch the bus from South Brisbane to Kelvin Grove. It would take about 45 minutes Jindalee to South Brisbane. I now go through the tunnel to Kelvin Grove, drop the kids and then from Kelvin Grove to South Brisbane across the William Jolly bridge and it takes me about 30 to 40 minutes. Coming home can be a bit of a nightmare, the traffic usually frees up just before the Jindalee Bridge.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

So, all do able then. Thanks for that kim67 :-)
Old Jun 1st 2016, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

I think the reason the public transport is so slow from the gap is that there isn't a direct bus. you need to get 2. I don't know where you switch because i drive but i know there is a swap