Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice - Becoming a lawyer in QLD

Advice - Becoming a lawyer in QLD

Old Sep 21st 2008, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

andy.n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice - Becoming a lawyer in QLD

is there anyone from the UK that has moved to Australia that works in the legal sector??
if so, please get in touch as i have just moved to Sunshine Coast from London after graduating. ive got my LLB Law degree but want advice on the next step?... Diploma in Legal Practice or traineeships? wat they are like? how expensive? how difficult?

i have checked out Queensland Law Society website but was wondering if there were any people with experience that could share any wisdom they may have....

Cheers... ANDY
Old Sep 21st 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

best4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice - Becoming a lawyer in QLD

Hi Andy, a friend of mines daughter lives in Brisbane and she moved to Oz a couple of years ago from the UK. She is in charge of a lawyers practice out there. I will email her mum and ask her if she is able to help you.

Last edited by best4ever; Sep 21st 2008 at 4:26 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Ah wow, that would be amazing!..

i dont know if the forum shows up my email address but its <<snip>>
thanks!

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 22nd 2008 at 11:42 am. Reason: email address removed for privacy reasons - member can be contacted via his profile
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

simsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nicesimsy is just really nice

Hi Andy

i have just queried this with the University of Queensland as I also have LLB (Hons).

however they said that I would need to bring my uk degree up to australian standard as their degrees actually take 4 years instead of our standard 3 years. off hand they thought i might need to take an extra 6 units so that it would be classed as an australian degree to then progress on to legal practice course. however she did ask me for a complete breakdown of every subject that i studied and she would then be able to tell me exactly what was needed. they charge about £250 just to have a look at it.

so far i havent had enough enthusiam to take it any further than that but i hope it gives you a bit of useful info.

nicola
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andy.n
is there anyone from the UK that has moved to Australia that works in the legal sector??
if so, please get in touch as i have just moved to Sunshine Coast from London after graduating. ive got my LLB Law degree but want advice on the next step?... Diploma in Legal Practice or traineeships? wat they are like? how expensive? how difficult?

i have checked out Queensland Law Society website but was wondering if there were any people with experience that could share any wisdom they may have....

Cheers... ANDY
Hi

I'm not sure I can give you advice based on my own experience as I was already a practising solicitor in the UK before I moved here (so the process was different) and in any event the rules changed in April this year so even for qualified overseas lawyers the route to qualification is not the same as the route I took. But I think Simsy is right in that the first step is still to get your UK academic qualifications assessed by one of the universities that is approved by the Legal Practitioners Admissions Board.

You might want to start by contacting the Legal Practitioners Admissions Board if you haven't already done so. Their details are as follows:

Legal Practitioners Admissions Board
Queensland Law Society
Law Society House
179 Ann Street
GPO Box 1785
Brisbane QLD 4001

ph: 07 3842 5984
fax: 07 3221 7193

email: [email protected]

see:

http://www.qls.com.au/content/lwp/wc...tice/Admission

You might also want to look for posts by YoSemite who posts on here as she is/was studying law at Bond University and I think has posted in the past about the next steps (practical training requirement, traineeships etc). You could also try sending her a PM.

F5
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 10:38 am
Just Joined

thanks for everyones replies.

today i have had an email back from a lady at QUT in Brisbane and she said they can assess my english degree for $200 so that seems quite reasonable, will have to gather information on all my units studied, that will be fun!!.... she said it takes 3 weeks and i can go from there i suppose.. im sure that once you get yourself into an institution for units and exams then you get support of their careers department for taking the next step, which is the invaluable help i am going to need as when you move somewhere new there is inevitably the complete lack of contacts or people to help...

god knows what im gonna do for money in the meantime, would get bar work like when i was at uni in England but you need a Certificate to do that.

will let u know how i get on..
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

best4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Andy I have sent you a private message. Friends daughter in Brisbane willing to have a chat with you but needs some details. Good luck