British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Advice around getting a Motorbike license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/advice-around-getting-motorbike-license-685796/)

Tonyc88 Sep 17th 2010 2:38 am

Advice around getting a Motorbike license

Hi all,

I have a general question about getting a motorbike license - some facts first
  • I'm here on a 457 Visa (Temp). I'm 29 yrs old.
  • I have an UK CAR license. I do NOT have a UK bike license. I want to learn.
  • I can't get an Aus license for 6 months as i'm on a temp visa (as opposed to perm visa people who must transfer a license within 3 months)
  • I'd actually like to keep my UK license for car driving (only fines for speeding! no points!) and have an Aus one for motorbike. Is this possible?

So, I can't transfer my UK license yet so I need to start fresh on a bike license. By the looks of things i'll need to do the usual course (Beginner course, P1, P2 etc)

Can anyone think of any issues with the above process? Should I wait until I can transfer my UK can license to an Aus one? Any benefit in this?

Are there still benefits in being over 30 years old with regards to Bike licenses?

Can you recommend a place to do the initial course around Sydney?

Rossi Sep 17th 2010 1:39 pm

Re: Advice around getting a Motorbike license

You can get an Aus license straight away...... the 6 months thing is the maximum you are allowed to drive before getting an Aus one

Anyone contemplating getting their license should do so ASAP, there's rumours of the restrictions to smaller engines and P plates being extended to 3 years (currently one)

Queensland is the only state at present who still do Q-Ride ( over 25 driving for 5 years may take test on a bigger bike and qualify for a "full" license without the P Plate restrictions

mbike Sep 17th 2010 7:45 pm

You don't need to give up your uk licence when you get the Oz one .

Swerv-o Sep 18th 2010 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Tonyc88 (Post 8854385)
Hi all,

I have a general question about getting a motorbike license - some facts first
  • I'm here on a 457 Visa (Temp). I'm 29 yrs old.
  • I have an UK CAR license. I do NOT have a UK bike license. I want to learn.
  • I can't get an Aus license for 6 months as i'm on a temp visa (as opposed to perm visa people who must transfer a license within 3 months)
  • I'd actually like to keep my UK license for car driving (only fines for speeding! no points!) and have an Aus one for motorbike. Is this possible?

So, I can't transfer my UK license yet so I need to start fresh on a bike license. By the looks of things i'll need to do the usual course (Beginner course, P1, P2 etc)

Can anyone think of any issues with the above process? Should I wait until I can transfer my UK can license to an Aus one? Any benefit in this?

Are there still benefits in being over 30 years old with regards to Bike licenses?

Can you recommend a place to do the initial course around Sydney?

Watch this bit - they will save the points up for you and apply them if you get a local licence in the future.

S

Tonyc88 Sep 18th 2010 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Rossi (Post 8855217)
You can get an Aus license straight away...... the 6 months thing is the maximum you are allowed to drive before getting an Aus one

Hi, I think you're confusing me with a PR visa holder. THey have to change license within 3 months.

As i'm classed as a temporary visitor (457 visa) I CANT swap my license till i've been here 6 months!

"As a temporary overseas visitor, you will only be eligible to apply for a NSW licence once you have been in Australia for a continuous period of at least six months immediately prior to licence application."

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...swlicence.html

...however I can go get a learner license.

DadAgain Sep 19th 2010 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Rossi (Post 8855217)
Queensland is the only state at present who still do Q-Ride ( over 25 driving for 5 years may take test on a bigger bike and qualify for a "full" license without the P Plate restrictions

Not true as of 1 July 2008. (I know this 'cos I got my licence in June '08! JUST in time!). Q-Ride now does get you from no experience to riding alone in a matter of hours - but you are faced with a restricted "LAMS" (250cc ish - although some restricted 600's qualify) restriction for a year.

Either way thats irrelevant for the OP as he's in Sydney! :D

Rossi Sep 20th 2010 9:22 am

Bugger........... I stand corrected ;)