Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on the application process

Advice on the application process

Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all
Post Advice on the application process

We are currently in the process of applying to come out under the general skilled sub group 136a.

Does anyone have any idea how long these applications take realistically the migration web site states up to 6 months?

Regards

Jon
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on the application process

Originally Posted by jonjon
We are currently in the process of applying to come out under the general skilled sub group 136a.

Does anyone have any idea how long these applications take realistically the migration web site states up to 6 months?

Regards

Jon
Jon
I would say 6 months is being very optimistic, ours took 2 years. You have to pass skills testing first, this took us ages, then the main application.
I'm sure others will reply with more accurate answers though
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

many thanks

skills are currently being assessed and we have been told they will be back within 4 weeks from the (AIM) all being well, Wifes are going off next week and againt they have confirmed 4 week turnaround (amazing what they can do when you pay $700.00)

Many thansk for the reply, first time on the site and trying to find out as much inforamtion as possible
Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:00 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonjon
many thanks

skills are currently being assessed and we have been told they will be back within 4 weeks from the (AIM) all being well, Wifes are going off next week and againt they have confirmed 4 week turnaround (amazing what they can do when you pay $700.00)

Many thansk for the reply, first time on the site and trying to find out as much inforamtion as possible
doesnt the main applicant only get their skills assessed? i may be wrong however??!!.........

will you be ready to put in your main application once the skill (skills?) assessment coem back?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:04 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

AIM is incredibly hard - I guess you are going as General Manager? I got my skills assesment back in about 4-5 weeks after some supplemental questions and late night calls.

After that - our actual visa took 4mths , same as you 136 skilled independent. We had to lodge the 100k bond, that added 4 weeks (plus screw ups from DImia).

I think that Dimia dont review the AIM ones as much as others like TRA because there are fewer of them and aim is a total pig to get. I only know 2 other people who got GM from AIM and one ofthe agents commented that its extremely rare . I did all mine DIY.

If you want to fast track I suggest you front load meds + Police checks - that menas max of 12mths to validate form date of meds and PCC's. If you're in that mood then do it - we did.

Also - start filling in draft version of SK47 form, prepare all the paperwork , you need things like full birth certificates -read it properly, prepare it like you were going to send it - and have it all ready for when skills come back. You can always give AIM a ring their manager their is quite friendly (or was to me) and helpful .

Good luck - pm if any more q's about AIM etc.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

No we are already in the process of applying to get our skills assessed via the ausrtalian institue of managment and vetassess. Once these come back the main application will go in to the department of imigration including the skills assessments

the concern i have is that it has taken my 10 to 12 weeks to get to point when the primary application goes in does it then take another 6 months on top for the main application ?
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:08 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

It can take 6mths - it can take a year...

Ours took 4mths from the date of posting the 47sk form to Aus DIMIA to getitng the visas back in our passports.

That was with AIM Gen Mgr skills + 100K$ bond, and front loading Meds + PCC's
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

MAny thanks Spalen

Yes i am trying to get in under skills 1213-11 HumanResoruces Manager (60points) , have been doing this for 10 years and am a fellow of the CIPD so i hope this will go in my favor. if we do get inb on this we get 130 points without the need for the bond so i am hoping this works out. Time will tell. $ months is not bad going i and i would be more than happy with that. We too are doing the DIY route mainly due to the cost implcations and once you get your head around it it doesn't seem that bad..

at the moment everything is dependent on the AIM (time will Tell)

are you already put there or when are you going

regards

jon

Originally Posted by spalen
Hi

AIM is incredibly hard - I guess you are going as General Manager? I got my skills assesment back in about 4-5 weeks after some supplemental questions and late night calls.

After that - our actual visa took 4mths , same as you 136 skilled independent. We had to lodge the 100k bond, that added 4 weeks (plus screw ups from DImia).

I think that Dimia dont review the AIM ones as much as others like TRA because there are fewer of them and aim is a total pig to get. I only know 2 other people who got GM from AIM and one ofthe agents commented that its extremely rare . I did all mine DIY.

If you want to fast track I suggest you front load meds + Police checks - that menas max of 12mths to validate form date of meds and PCC's. If you're in that mood then do it - we did.

Also - start filling in draft version of SK47 form, prepare all the paperwork , you need things like full birth certificates -read it properly, prepare it like you were going to send it - and have it all ready for when skills come back. You can always give AIM a ring their manager their is quite friendly (or was to me) and helpful .

Good luck - pm if any more q's about AIM etc.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:23 pm
ah-beng

Got our visas on about march 17th and arrived in Australia on March 23rd -didnt muck about.

Been living in Brisbane since then and loving it. Started work for same company I used to work for in UK over here in Aus on July 4th and just realised Ive done 15 long haul flights since July 4th ! ( and got a platinum qantas frequent flyer card....). But enjoying it immensely.

You shoud not have a problem finding work - professionals are in demand in Aus