Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice from all you in Brisbane and Adelaide

Advice from all you in Brisbane and Adelaide

Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Buena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the roughBuena Vista Social Club is a jewel in the rough
Default Advice from all you in Brisbane and Adelaide

Hi, I have recently been granted PR Skilled Visa (carpenter/joiner) and we (wife plus 2 teenagers) are planning to travel to Brisbane to check it out as we have heard alot of positive things about it, also the fact that there is work. I can also do plumbing, plastering and abit of electrics so property maintenance is something that appeals to me.... but I feel that we should also look at Adelaide. I would be most grateful to hear from people who are living there already, especially from anyone who has lived in both places. My wife does not want to drive on motorways to get into town, so any areas with great views and easy access are what we're looking for, also want a place where our teenagers will not get bored. We will not have the time to live in each city to get a good comparison as the kids have to go to a school, so your first hand advice I'm sure will contribute to helping us decide. Thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Demented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really niceDemented Ferret is just really nice
Default Re: Advice from all you in Brisbane and Adelaide

Originally Posted by Buena Vista Social Club
Hi, I have recently been granted PR Skilled Visa (carpenter/joiner) and we (wife plus 2 teenagers) are planning to travel to Brisbane to check it out as we have heard alot of positive things about it, also the fact that there is work. I can also do plumbing, plastering and abit of electrics so property maintenance is something that appeals to me.... but I feel that we should also look at Adelaide. I would be most grateful to hear from people who are living there already, especially from anyone who has lived in both places. My wife does not want to drive on motorways to get into town, so any areas with great views and easy access are what we're looking for, also want a place where our teenagers will not get bored. We will not have the time to live in each city to get a good comparison as the kids have to go to a school, so your first hand advice I'm sure will contribute to helping us decide. Thanks.
Hi Vista, as a Traddie work wont be a problem. I live at Mango hill and as a plumber have travelled north to Pamona , out past Ipswich and Surfers many times. North Lakes is a fast growing family suburb, with plenty of work opportunities for your wife. We have a 12 year old and he loves the area. Any Questions on Brissy we can help you with just ask. We also offer short term accom for rekkies or first few weeks of your big move or even holidays www.headstarthomestay.com.au . We have had some great families through the door recently and a good way for new migrants to meet each other. Hope your decission is a good one. All the best .

Dale
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:32 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

My wife does not want to drive on motorways to get into town

Save money then, Brisbanes out !!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

North lakes is quite a distance from brisbane centre and would have to go on motorway to get there, to get to brisbane centre without motorways, i would choose carsledine area, or going over the other side bardon toowong way.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Don't discount the Gold Coast from the equation. It's only 1 hour down the M1, so you can come and check it out while you're here.

There's quite a bit of trade work here and it shites all over Brisbane for atmosphere and general friendliness.

The GC is a great place to rasie a family and big enough to feel like a city (500k people) but still small enough to retain it's charm that Brisbane lost 5 years ago.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

My wife does not want to drive on motorways to get into town, so any areas with great views and easy access are what we're looking for.
Great views and easy access is always going to be difficult in Brisbane.

Its been mentioned on many threads but the traffic here is generally woeful, and occassionally diabolical. I'm guessing but I wouldn't imagine the city has had a major infrastructure upgrade since the Gateway bridge was built 20 years ago. In that time the city has increased massively.

I know from my own experience how difficult it is to get a handle on distances and the relative size of places just from maps and the internet. Have a look at these, particularly the stats down the right hand side, they might give you a better idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If you want great views, and no motorways then this is the place for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_hills
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
If you want great views, and no motorways then this is the place for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_hills
They must be lucky buggers who live there
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:30 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
There's quite a bit of trade work here and it shites all over Brisbane for atmosphere and general friendliness.

The GC is a great place to rasie a family and big enough to feel like a city (500k people) but still small enough to retain it's charm that Brisbane lost 5 years ago.
What a load of tosh !
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
What a load of tosh !
You just proved my point. Thank you.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
They must be lucky buggers who live there

I know, I don't know anyone who does though
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:01 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ausi dream
North lakes is quite a distance from brisbane centre and would have to go on motorway to get there, to get to brisbane centre without motorways, i would choose carsledine area, or going over the other side bardon toowong way.
if I was a tradie, I'd live in the gold coast hinterland.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markallwood
if I was a tradie, I'd live in the gold coast hinterland.
You know where paradise is I see. Brisbane doesn't even compare.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:10 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

You know where paradise is I see. Brisbane doesn't even compare.
!! ha ha... I think we'll have to agree to disagree there mate. When I look at the gold coast, I see two sides to it...

1) the lovely stretch of beach, tourism, growth, and the beautiful hinterland.
2) lack of jobs, house robberies, meth problems. and an excessive number of "hoons" driving ford falcons and utes !

I do love the gold coast though, and as I've said, if I was a tradie bringing in $100k+ and not paying any tax, I'd be there like a shot.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 5:12 am
Banned

Don't discount the Gold Coast from the equation. It's only 1 hour down the M1, so you can come and check it out while you're here.

You just proved my point. Thank you.
Im missing the point thats been proved ? And the somewhat friendliness of the GC?

I actually think the Gold Coast is pretty cool. Wouldnt wanna live there, but its cool.
But to say Brizzy is SHITE ! and lost its charm 5 years ago ?

Thats just TOSH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.