Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on Adelaide as a 'More Mature' Couple

Advice on Adelaide as a 'More Mature' Couple

Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on Adelaide as a 'More Mature' Couple

I've been asked to go to Adelaide for an interview so am assuming they're failry serious about considering me. We're a middle-aged couple (hate having to say it!) with kids and a grandchild here in the UK. I wonder whether anyone would be able to give us any advice/comments on:

1. What Adelaide is like for a couple like us in terms of making friends (I know it depends on personality and interests - fairly mixed, everything from folk, soul to classical);

and

2. Ease of keeping contact with family and getting kids to visit etc (What's your experience been like?).

Any comments welcome. (We visited Adelaide earier in the year for a week, but spent most in Glenelg and the City Centre.)

Thanks

Alistair
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Adelaide as a 'More Mature' Couple

Hi there

1 - I find the people in Adelaide extremely friendly. Both other migrants and true blue Aussies. Most people seem genuinely interested in you and I have struck up many a conversation with people at bus stops, shopping centres, at the beach - just about everywhere really (Mind you I will talk to anybody )

2 - I have a 21 year old in the UK still at Uni. He doesn't ever ring me, but he does e-mail and text every now and then. I generally call him about once a month - he's a typical lad and doesn't really have much to say to his Mam he talks to his younger brother a lot via a few forums they both frequent though. (He doesn't take after me in the talking stakes )

Good luck with your interview
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:59 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Adelaide is known as the retirement city - cos its slower than the other cities over here.

I think its lovely, the people are so friendly - all age groups - theres lots of activities on for the older generation, theres a fab walkers group by me, i wish i could keep up with them!!!

Skype is great for calling the UK, and the phone companies do offer some deals on international calls aswell, its not really that expensive.

I was in the chip shop and an old guy got chatting to me - told me i have to take the kids down his road over xmas as he and all his neighbours deck the place out, he offered loads of little tit bits of advice and was really lovely...total random.
Another older couple we are great friends with came from a chance meeting in Good Guys carpark where we gave over our phone number...moving here has you doing funny things like that!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot. That's very helpful. I keep reading that the cost of living in Adelaide is cheap. Could anyone advise on what sort of salary you'd need to earn to be able to live in a nice area of the city (renting , say a 3-bed) and afford 4 return flights a year UK-Oz. (I'm not sure of tax rates etc).

I know that's a really broad 'how long is a piece of string' sort of question, but I'd appreciate any advice at all.

Also, I read somewhere that Adelaide has 400 festivals a year. That's more than one a day. Can that be correct?

Cheers

Alistair
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

koalasue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We too are a mature couple and hoping to emigrate to Adelaide, as we have friends there already, we have been a couple of times and loved it. Everyone we met was so friendly. Can l be nosy and ask what your trade is, as my OH is a painter & decorator and finding it really hard too get a sponsor, as we will be going on the 457 because of our ages. Anyway you won't go wrong going to Adelaide as it is a great place.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ramlmmjem
Thanks a lot. That's very helpful. I keep reading that the cost of living in Adelaide is cheap. Could anyone advise on what sort of salary you'd need to earn to be able to live in a nice area of the city (renting , say a 3-bed) and afford 4 return flights a year UK-Oz. (I'm not sure of tax rates etc).

I know that's a really broad 'how long is a piece of string' sort of question, but I'd appreciate any advice at all.

Also, I read somewhere that Adelaide has 400 festivals a year. That's more than one a day. Can that be correct?

Cheers

Alistair
It is a how long is a piece of string question, but I can point you to the tax rates http://ato.gov.au/individuals/conten...u=5053&mfp=001

Four return flights to the UK will set you back quite a lot, probably looking at $10k to $15k

I have no idea how many festivals there are in SA, never really thought about it! There is always something going on somewhere though, but a lot of things aren't really advertised that well - except the bigger ones that is.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Adelaide is definately a more quieter & slower pace for living in,it has some beautiful beaches, I think if you get out and about and try to mix you will easily make friends, If you keep yourself to yourself you will struggle with loneliness.

If it were easy for me and hubby to get jobs we liked there we would deffo go back to live there!

Bluekipper
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koalasue
Hi
We too are a mature couple and hoping to emigrate to Adelaide, as we have friends there already, we have been a couple of times and loved it. Everyone we met was so friendly. Can l be nosy and ask what your trade is, as my OH is a painter & decorator and finding it really hard too get a sponsor, as we will be going on the 457 because of our ages. Anyway you won't go wrong going to Adelaide as it is a great place.
Thanks. I'm a university lecturer. We spent 4 1/2 month in Oz earlier in the year, the last week in Adelaide, and really liked the 'feel' of the country and how people seemed to relate to one another. Would like to be sure about the 'family' and 'settling' side of things.

Alistair