Reload this Page >

Advice about selling the house!

Advice about selling the house!

Old Mar 12th 2005, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

neil&momo is on a distinguished road
Default Advice about selling the house!

Hi all,
we have had the house on the market for about 6 weeks now, only 1 viewing, no luck yet!! We have less than 4 months to go before we fly to Brisbane. Just wondering wether to put it up in an auction!! Does anyone know how it works? I believe you can put a reserve on it but if it dosen't sell do you still pay fees? Also if I leave it to sell by an agent how long roughly does it take to complete. We have no mortgage ties so no prob with bank side of things!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We fly 9th July. Can't wait.
Cheers Marie
Old Mar 12th 2005, 8:07 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice about selling the house!

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Also if I leave it to sell by an agent how long roughly does it take to complete.
How long is a piece of string?????
Old Mar 12th 2005, 8:53 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the housing market is like in your part of the world but before you put it to auction (where everyone expects a bargain) why not reduce the price a bit and/or put the house with several agents (the increased fee they ask won't reduce your net sale proceeds by as much as putting it to auction).

If you decide to leave the UK before the house is sold perhaps you could give Power of Attorney to a (very) trusted family member who can then handle the legal stuff when you DO get a buyer.

6 weeks is really not very long at the moment IMHO (ask Artep how long it's taken her to find a buyer! - or rather don't - you'll get an angry response ;-))

Good Luck
Old Mar 12th 2005, 8:56 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by artep
How long is a piece of string?????

Any news??
I hope so!

Sharon
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:02 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
(ask Artep how long it's taken her to find a buyer! - or rather don't - you'll get an angry response ;-))
hey you'll only get happy responses from me tonight!!!!!!!!! I'm almost on my way!!!!

Mine has taken an ETERNITY to sell.....but as my sale proves...it happens EVENTUALLY!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:04 pm
....is FAB

Originally Posted by chattyshazza
Any news??
I hope so!

Sharon
yep we complete on the 18th March....and fly on the 12th April!!!!!!!!!! woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 9:09 pm

yep we complete on the 18th March....and fly on the 12th April!!!!!!!!!! woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, that is brilliant news!!!!!
Really pleased for you.
I am feeling quite positive at the moment, we have had 8 viewings this week so think things are looking up.

I hope the Brissie girls dont run out of girlie nights out before I get there.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:31 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Great News!!

Looking forward to seeing you when you get here ....... LESS THAN ONE MONTH TO GO!!! How have you got time to be on here?!?!?!
Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
I don't know what the housing market is like in your part of the world but before you put it to auction (where everyone expects a bargain) why not reduce the price a bit and/or put the house with several agents (the increased fee they ask won't reduce your net sale proceeds by as much as putting it to auction).

If you decide to leave the UK before the house is sold perhaps you could give Power of Attorney to a (very) trusted family member who can then handle the legal stuff when you DO get a buyer.

6 weeks is really not very long at the moment IMHO (ask Artep how long it's taken her to find a buyer! - or rather don't - you'll get an angry response ;-))

Good Luck
Ditto, totally agree with all that is written here.
Put your tin hat on tomorrow when Eatstatic and Seriously get wind of your thread, they love to jump on the each others bandwagon, not sure that they are ever online at the same time Just do what I do and stick them both on your ignore list
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

ShellnTez will become famous soon enoughShellnTez will become famous soon enough

just bumping you back to the top
shellx
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ShellnTez
just bumping you back to the top
shellx
Cheers Shell,
Still no luck, had another viewing this weekend, apparently too small!!! How big does he expect a 2 bedroom house to be!! As 2 bedrooms go it's pretty big in comparison!! Never mind, fingers crossed for movement soon or seriously going to try the Auction! No point reducing price as 2 other houses on same row lower than ours and they aren't shifting either!! We put it in for offers in the region of as well but nobody even offering!!
Oh well, 14weeks to go! Speak soon
Love Marie xx
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:32 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neil&momo
Cheers Shell,
Still no luck, had another viewing this weekend, apparently too small!!! How big does he expect a 2 bedroom house to be!! As 2 bedrooms go it's pretty big in comparison!! Never mind, fingers crossed for movement soon or seriously going to try the Auction! No point reducing price as 2 other houses on same row lower than ours and they aren't shifting either!! We put it in for offers in the region of as well but nobody even offering!!
Oh well, 14weeks to go! Speak soon
Love Marie xx
I'm with you all the way on this one, how big do they expect a house to be? Ours is a 3 bedroom detached house with beautiful bay windows and loads of original features, all they see is how small the kitchen is. Hello it's a 1930's house.... small kitchen as they had no appliances. Plenty of room to extend though.
We have been on the market since June and have reduced twice so far. Our latest plan which is bringing in the viewers is to offer to pay 5% gifted deposit. That way you can keep the same asking price, but once 5% is taken off your house will be cheaper than those down the road.
We have looked into the auction game.... not a good response. It will cost £350 to get a listing and were told that the reserve would have to be pretty low to get any serious offers. Have been advised against it, think carefully before you consider this option.
Best wishes
Sarah
Old Mar 26th 2005, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teach
I'm with you all the way on this one, how big do they expect a house to be? Ours is a 3 bedroom detached house with beautiful bay windows and loads of original features, all they see is how small the kitchen is. Hello it's a 1930's house.... small kitchen as they had no appliances. Plenty of room to extend though.
We have been on the market since June and have reduced twice so far. Our latest plan which is bringing in the viewers is to offer to pay 5% gifted deposit. That way you can keep the same asking price, but once 5% is taken off your house will be cheaper than those down the road.
We have looked into the auction game.... not a good response. It will cost £350 to get a listing and were told that the reserve would have to be pretty low to get any serious offers. Have been advised against it, think carefully before you consider this option.
Best wishes
Sarah
Thanks for the advice Sarah.
It's so frustrating isn't it. We spoke with our agent and he says don't do anything until after easter then we will re think!! Apparently easter is a good selling time!! We have spoke to another agent to come round on Friday so we will see what they say! We can't advertise with both but this other agent is more nationwide! We'll see. We will just have to leave it empty when we go at least it will be summer so the house shouldn't get too cold and damp!!! Just hope it sells soon.
Good luck with yours
Best wishes
Marie