Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice about higher education in OZ plz?

Advice about higher education in OZ plz?

Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

tezluelle is on a distinguished road
Default Advice about higher education in OZ plz?

I have searched the web high and low and can not get an answer so am hoping that one of you guys might know the answer!

I am currently doing a degree with the Open University and in October I will have enough points for a BSc (Ordinary) although I had planned to do an extra course to get a Bsc (Honours)

I have been trying to find out if it would be necesarry to have the honours degree for entry into a postgraduate teaching course in Australia. All the websites state the entry requirement as a 3 year degree but having studied with teh Open University this doesn't apply to me! Would be great to know where I stand and if I can draw a line under my undergraduate studies in October.

Any advice gratefully recevied!!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice about higher education in OZ plz?

No you do not need honours just bachelor degree but the places are highly sort after. Australians can get hex fees but overseas people would have to pay full fees.

Placements in Victoria are published in the papers and on the web in January.

Have a look at this web site it may help you.

http://australia.hotcoursesabroad.co.../9/abroad.html

Last edited by Petals; Dec 11th 2008 at 8:37 pm. Reason: Add info
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Petals
No you do not need honours just bachelor degree but the places are highly sort after. Australians can get hex fees but overseas people would have to pay full fees.

Thanks for this info Petals. I didnt make it clear that I would have permanent residency in Oz when I apply. Do you know if I would get any help with fees?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals

Hi Texluelle

If you are PR you pay full fees upfront. However, this is not the international course fees. It is actually the same rate that Australian citizens pay. However, citizens have 2 choices of how they pay their fees. They can either pay fees upfront (which is what you will have to do), but if they choose this option they are given a discount - I can't remember what the discount though - 20% I think.

The alternative for citizens is that they pay fees which are exactly the same as what you would pay, but they defer the payment and pay it back once they are earning. You are not able to do this as a PR.

The assistance for citizens is known as HECS.

For something like teaching you should look for a Commonwealth supported place as this make the fees much cheaper.

Have a look at this website.... http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/ it have probably all the info you need.

Good luck!!

Rudi
x

Last edited by Rudi; Dec 11th 2008 at 9:26 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rudi
Hi Texluelle

If you are PR you pay full fees upfront. However, this is not the international course fees. It is actually the same rate that Australian citizens pay. However, citizens have 2 choices of how they pay their fees. They can either pay fees upfront (which is what you will have to do), but if they choose this option they are given a discount - I can't remember what the discount though - 20% I think.

The alternative for citizens is that they pay fees which are exactly the same as what you would pay, but they defer the payment and pay it back once they are earning. You are not able to do this as a PR.

The assistance for citizens is known as HECS.

For something like teaching you should look for a Commonwealth supported place as this make the fees much cheaper.

Have a look at this website.... http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/ it have probably all the info you need.

Good luck!!

Rudi
x
Thanks so much for that Rudi, I have learnt more from you in these two posts than hours searching the web!!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Both of my children have done post graduate courses in secondary. They applied through vtac being in Victoria applied in August and the placements come out in January each year.