advice :)

Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

shuggyboy24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advice :)

Hi all
Looking for advice myself and my gf. Are looking to move to oz looks like i will be offered a job in melbourne as a nurse with wages around 76k aud. In the uk i earn 28k as a nurse have no mortgage. My gf a payroll exec earns around 22k . Noticed similar jobs in oz around 60 aud . So combined around 130k aud. I am mortgage free here in uk. Go 3-4 good holidays a year drive a nice car can eat out often etc. Would oz offer a similar lifestyle? How would 130k pan out to live on in melbourne? Plan to rent. Have no car and have no kids.

Cheers
H
Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: advice :)

Opinions on this will differ wildly! IMHO, $130K is survivable, you can forget the 3-4 good holidays a year, travelling here is wildly expensive because of the rip off culture and distances. Do you like camping?
I think the trick is to come to Australia because you fancy a change, a new experience and enjoy it - but don't expect any hike in your standard of living on those salaries - particulary when you're renting, compared to mortgage free!
Old Feb 28th 2013, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Not a fan of camping! Perhaps cheaper flying back to say uk and booking euro hols or stopping off in asia for trip home might be a cheaper way round it . To enjoy hols. Still ro take account of monthly expenses? Would be coming on a 457 visa
Old Feb 28th 2013, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well you will not feel any better off because salaries are probably comparable but you are going from mortgage free to renting. If your motivation for moving is for the experience then it can still be a great thing to do, but there is no financial reason.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the same position. About the same salary, rent, no kids. We have a good lifestyle in Sydney, and Melbourne is slightly cheaper so you'll be fine. We have a slightly better standard of living (nicer flat, bit more savings per month) than we did in London and love it.

We find that instead of having 3 or 4 holidays a year like we did in UK, we have one big 3 week holiday a year, either to UK/Europe or Asia, and then do a few long weekends internally in Oz on top of that. Obviously a shame not having Europe on your doorstep but works out well.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shuggyboy24
Hi all
Looking for advice myself and my gf. Are looking to move to oz looks like i will be offered a job in melbourne as a nurse with wages around 76k aud. In the uk i earn 28k as a nurse have no mortgage. My gf a payroll exec earns around 22k . Noticed similar jobs in oz around 60 aud . So combined around 130k aud. I am mortgage free here in uk. Go 3-4 good holidays a year drive a nice car can eat out often etc. Would oz offer a similar lifestyle? How would 130k pan out to live on in melbourne? Plan to rent. Have no car and have no kids.

Cheers
H

bloody hell 76k , is that basic? if so can i get the job instead

p.s i am also a nurse and already in melbourne, so can start tomorrow
Old Mar 1st 2013, 12:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Do not make any assumptions about what your GF will earn. Getting a job as a partner of 457 visa holder is not always easy.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Shuggy you'll also get at least 8pct more in take home pay when you salary package. Thats assuming you will be working for a government hospital and is basically a universal arrangement for government employed medicos around the country. The 8pct has to be allocated towards things like rent and/or a car or Meals and Entertainment... You'll find that the vast majority of nurses choose the meals and entertainment option as with the car you have to pay top dollar and pre choose your options. BTW if you include the tax you would have paid to earn that money, your wage works out to close to 86k per annum. Quite a few 100k nurses around in pysch where there is limitless OT, however they do lots of extra hours, rolling shifts and weekends.

The sum works out to about 9-10k per annum take home and is tax free.

Your biggest expenditure will be your accom.... I wouldnt like to spend more than 450 pw on those wages.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 1st 2013 at 1:23 am.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 1:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Do not make any assumptions about what your GF will earn. Getting a job as a partner of 457 visa holder is not always easy.
Exactly. And starting off at $60k in admin/payroll is much easier said than done. It took me 3 years of temp jobs before I got a permanent job (which still pays less than $60k)
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks folks ive been lucky to be involved in setting up two new services in mental . Hence had a warm response with my cv. Not sent it too far yet. Tho. We will go and find out how the situation pans out if i def take the job. Cheers
Old Mar 1st 2013, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks ive been lucky to be involved in setting up two new services in mental . Hence had a warm response with my cv. Not sent it too far yet. Tho. We will go and find out how the situation pans out if i def take the job. Cheers
Blimey I'll see if I can find out what they are.... The wife should know.... She works at the Royal Melbourne in Pysch.

Pysch nursing is a fairly small world in Melbourne. You'll need to know Eric Smith at Swingshift... the Agency.

http://www.swingshift.com.au/oversea...iful-melbourne

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 1st 2013 at 6:43 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Great, its very much needed here goodluck
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 2:06 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle;10576445]

. Quite a few 100k nurses around in pysch where there is limitless OT, however they do lots of extra hours, rolling shifts and weekends.

They work their butts off for it, i certainly don't have the stamina to earn that
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[quote=Margaret3;10578474]
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

. Quite a few 100k nurses around in pysch where there is limitless OT, however they do lots of extra hours, rolling shifts and weekends.

They work their butts off for it, i certainly don't have the stamina to earn that

Yeah true... and it seems to be mostly single blokes that I know off...... Although whenever my Wife has done the extra shifts through the agency, it involves "Specialing" a Pysch patient in a general hospital whilst the get treated for a procedure etc.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 2nd 2013 at 2:18 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 2:16 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=ozzieeagle;10578489]
Originally Posted by Margaret3

Yeah true... and it seems to be mostly single blokes that I know off.
Yeah, the young'uns at our work probably earn around that, and are 'on-call' at least 5x per week, and when they are called out , its for a mammoth amount of hours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.