Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ADVICE TO 457 VISA APPLICANTS

ADVICE TO 457 VISA APPLICANTS

Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

tonyandwendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADVICE TO 457 VISA APPLICANTS

just a little advice for anyone considering coming over on a 457-dont bother just go for pr instead you will find being here on a 457 you will be very restricted workwise also you cant get any help from the state with child costs etc although you can get free medicare-we have had a bad experience with the work situation as it didnt work out and after parting company with the firm i couldnt find another sponsor so its back to the uk for us in a weeks time!! in hindsight wish we went for pr in the first place......
Old Mar 7th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ADVICE TO 457 VISA APPLICANTS

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you, but I would assume that anyone coming on a 457 would understand the terms of their visa which is just as you say. Nobody has tried to con you - too many people arrive on a 457 and assume that staying is a done deal. I'm always puzzled by people coming on a temporary business visa and expecting things like help with their childcare costs - why on earth would you be entitled to things like that?
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:07 am
ABCDiamond

I always assumed that people came on a 457 because they were not eligible for a PR visa.

Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:46 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

We came out on 457 13 months ago, we could have gone for PR but thought we would make sure it was for us before we committed large amounts of money to doing PR. For us the 457 has worked out great, from getting my job to moving over here was 9 weeks!! much quicker than PR would have ever been. We are now hoping for ENS as we love it so much. It has been tough not being entitled to any benefits but we knew all about that before moving out here, we didn't get any in he UK either so are no worse off over here. If you are totally clued up on the conditions imposed on you with a 457 then it is an excellent way of getting over here quickly and you don't have to make that final jump to PR if it is not for you!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I always assumed that people came on a 457 because they were not eligible for a PR visa.
Not true we were totally eligible as secondary school teachers and my wife has a brother with PR living over here so we could have gone down the family sponsored route, the 457 was much quicker (9 weeks) and cheaper!! It is a bit like try before you buy!!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:29 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Not true we were totally eligible as secondary school teachers and my wife has a brother with PR living over here so we could have gone down the family sponsored route, the 457 was much quicker (9 weeks) and cheaper!! It is a bit like try before you buy!!
PR is not that expensive compared to the cost of moving, and with respect, you rather casually ignore the many difficult cases where people (on temporary visas) have to leave Australia because of the employer refusing to sponsor for permanent residence or a family member has become sick.

The one advantage of being on a 457 is (normally) avoiding Australian income and capital gains tax issues on overseas assets.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:46 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
PR is not that expensive compared to the cost of moving, and with respect, you rather casually ignore the many difficult cases where people (on temporary visas) have to leave Australia because of the employer refusing to sponsor for permanent residence or a family member has become sick.

The one advantage of being on a 457 is (normally) avoiding Australian income and capital gains tax issues on overseas assets.
Sorry but the WHOLE point of being on a 457 Business Visa is that you are here temporarily and as such are entitled LAFHA because you intend to go back to your country of residence. The fact you may 'have to leave' should be a foregone conclusion!! Tough, you know the conditions when you apply and act accordingly. I don't think there was any casual ignorance whatsoever in the post you responded to.

To the OP, I have seen this and your other post ranting about private landlords, sorry guys but it just sounds like sour grapes to me. You have not been hard done by, you came as Temporary so you leave, simple as!! I can empathise with wanting to stay, I am in the same position with 1 year of my 457 to go, but if my company does not want to sponsor me for PR then so be it, no drama, just return to my house in UK and carry on. I will see it as a good 3 years spent, not look back with bitterness at the Visa system, its there for a reason.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:49 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Nope!!!! I was eligible for PR but took 457 to test the waters first and it, in my instance, was derisked by my company guarenteeing me my old job back in UK upon return. Now of course I may want to go PR but its now my age is against me, which is why it would be easier for me to get Employer Sponsored PR. My own fault for being an old goat!
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:52 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by tonyandwendy
just a little advice for anyone considering coming over on a 457-dont bother just go for pr instead you will find being here on a 457 you will be very restricted workwise also you cant get any help from the state with child costs etc although you can get free medicare-we have had a bad experience with the work situation as it didnt work out and after parting company with the firm i couldnt find another sponsor so its back to the uk for us in a weeks time!! in hindsight wish we went for pr in the first place......
That is such an awful one sided post borne out of your own frustration. I can not agree with a single thing you say. You knew the 457 restrictions, AND the benefits (LAFHA). Its unfortunate your work didn';t turn out well, and that you had a bad landlord, seems everyone is against you huh, but look at the positives of being here not bad mouth the good 457 Visa system to others.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by JAJ

Cost of PR $6030, cost of 457 $675 - the difference in cost is massive!! I have not casually ignored the fact that people have to return home, we felt it was a great way to get over here quickly and try it out before we go down the PR or ENS route and it has worked for us as long as you understand the conditions you are here under and that you realise it is not permanent. We are lucky in the fact that it has worked out great for us and it does not for everyone, you just need to be aware of all the pitfalls, a 457 is a great visa wbut it does have it's disadvatages.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of PR $6030, cost of 457 $675 - the difference in cost is massive!!
Unclear where your figure of A$6030 comes from.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unclear where your figure of A$6030 comes from.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i...-australia.htm
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:20 am
JAJ
Retired

Second instalment is only payable for a spouse/adult dependent with less than functional English.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:01 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by JAJ
Second instalment is only payable for a spouse/adult dependent with less than functional English.
Agree with that, its only the first installment thats paid.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 10:07 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Maybe they were including the cost of an immigration agent.