British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   advice for 1 yr working visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/advice-1-yr-working-visa-288569/)

fenix Mar 7th 2005 8:07 pm

advice for 1 yr working visa?

hi, im planning to go to queensland mid-late april, having just sent off my passport im expecting it in a couple of weeks, then i will use the online application form for the working visa on the imm.gov.au site, a couple of things im not sure on though, like, for example, in the documents supporting the application it says you need a return fare, which is no problem and also funds to support yourself for the initial stay, however there is no specific amount only an example of $5000 for the initial stay, this for me would probably last me the entire year as im stopping with my parents in their house, as im not going to be charged any rent or such.

ive looked on the forms and cant really find anything specific on the matter does anyone have any guidlines or experiences?

also....

if i apply online (2-3 days for approval) how do i get the visa, is my passport stamped in aus when i get there, do i have to do anything else? do i have to pay using my own credit card or can i have someone else pay as i dont have a visa card only solo.

is there any other advise anyone has?

thanks for reading.

fenix Mar 7th 2005 9:57 pm

Re: advice for 1 yr working visa

anyone?

Merlot Mar 7th 2005 10:00 pm

Re: advice for 1 yr working visa

Originally Posted by fenix
anyone?

Not as many on this Forum done the WHV bit, I did but back in the old days of having to fill out paper to apply and Victoria was on the throne :D

JAJ (Jeremy) may be able to offer advice.

Merlot :)

SydneyStace Mar 7th 2005 10:34 pm

Re: advice for 1 yr working visa?

Hi, I did the WHV in 2001-2002. I applied for my visa by sending paper application to Australia House. I had to send my passport for them to put the visa in before going to Australia. With regard to having sufficient funds, I borrowed 3000 pounds from my Dad, put it in my bank account, sent off a statement, got the visa, then handed the money back to my Dad. EASY! I don't see a problem with paying for it using someone else's credit card, but might be an idea to get one if you're travelling, just for an emergency.
Hope this helps! Have a great time!
Stacey

Originally Posted by fenix
hi, im planning to go to queensland mid-late april, having just sent off my passport im expecting it in a couple of weeks, then i will use the online application form for the working visa on the imm.gov.au site, a couple of things im not sure on though, like, for example, in the documents supporting the application it says you need a return fare, which is no problem and also funds to support yourself for the initial stay, however there is no specific amount only an example of $5000 for the initial stay, this for me would probably last me the entire year as im stopping with my parents in their house, as im not going to be charged any rent or such.

ive looked on the forms and cant really find anything specific on the matter does anyone have any guidlines or experiences?

also....

if i apply online (2-3 days for approval) how do i get the visa, is my passport stamped in aus when i get there, do i have to do anything else? do i have to pay using my own credit card or can i have someone else pay as i dont have a visa card only solo.

is there any other advise anyone has?

thanks for reading.

JAJ Mar 8th 2005 12:23 am

Originally Posted by SydneyStace
Hi, I did the WHV in 2001-2002. I applied for my visa by sending paper application to Australia House. I had to send my passport for them to put the visa in before going to Australia.

These days you can apply for a WHV online and get your visa label stamped in Australia.
http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/visit.htm

"For Working Holiday Makers:

* you will need a visa label placed in your passport to show employers you have the right to work

If you arrive at Sydney Airport

* you can get your visa label printed before you leave the airport
* you will be directed to the visa label desk, after you have had your passport stamped

If you arrive at any other Australian airport:

* you can get your visa label printed at the nearest office of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) in Australia."

The approval notification from DIMIA will always make it clear how the visa is to be evidenced.

Jeremy

fenix Mar 8th 2005 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ
These days you can apply for a WHV online and get your visa label stamped in Australia.
http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/visit.htm

"For Working Holiday Makers:

* you will need a visa label placed in your passport to show employers you have the right to work

If you arrive at Sydney Airport

* you can get your visa label printed before you leave the airport
* you will be directed to the visa label desk, after you have had your passport stamped

If you arrive at any other Australian airport:

* you can get your visa label printed at the nearest office of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) in Australia."

The approval notification from DIMIA will always make it clear how the visa is to be evidenced.

Jeremy

excellent thanks. but is there any guidlines on how much money i would need, my mother was asking how much she'd need to lend me :)

by the way anyone had experience of elenora near surfers? whats the place like?