Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice on `Look See trip????`

Advice on `Look See trip????`

Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on `Look See trip????`

Could a few you give me their own opinions please.

My wife and 3 kids ( under 6 ) are emmigrating to Perth this year ( need to validate by Aug ) neither of us have been before , so before i just turn up at the aiport with my family , we`ve decided that i should go on my own and have a look see , Hopefully to try and sort out my work visa ( need to gain a restricted elec licence) and also to have a look at the areas , schools , accom ( to rent initially ) and basically try and make life easier for when we all turn up in ( hopefully May/june)
Does anybody have any advice on what else i could do whilst i`m there on my own.
Is there anything you think i should take with me that i might need ?
Any thing you could tell me to help would be most appreciated .
Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:15 am
owieb

Default Re: Advice on `Look See trip????`

Originally posted by pagey

My wife and 3 kids ( under 6 ) are emmigrating to Perth this year ( need to validate by Aug ) neither of us have been before , so before i just turn up at the aiport with my family , we`ve decided that i should go on my own and have a look see , Hopefully to try and sort out my work visa ( need to gain a restricted elec licence) and also to have a look at the areas , schools , accom ( to rent initially ) and basically try and make life easier for when we all turn up in ( hopefully May/june)
Does anybody have any advice on what else i could do whilst i`m there on my own.
I know it's expensive, but it's worth bringing your whole family or at least your wife as it's not going to be just you emigrating. Nothing worse than you all getting out here then find one person doesn't like it!

Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Perhaps try to take in a least one other OZ City. They are very different, I know it would be a bit more expense, but could be well worth it. www.virginblue.com.au has internal fares. Also choose your time of year well, if your worried about the heat check it out in summer, if say you hate winter Perth or Melb should be checked out then, Ive seen people come here in August and totally love it then wilt in summer. Also dont treat it as a holiday, do some job hunting as if you were actually living there, sounds stupid but hey a couple of interviews is not going to take that long is it? Look at some rentals not just the ads, go and view a few houses to buy, they often look great in a ad but the real thing? Do a grocery shop, well dont actually buy it, just take the UK weekly shop docket around and see what it costs here. Drive the drive in the rush hour (well that may not apply to perth) but you know just treat it as living there not holiday. We tried this approach last month in the UK, and it was far more useful than seeing the sights or shopping.
Old Jan 5th 2004, 10:58 am
owieb

Originally posted by dotty
Perhaps try to take in a least one other OZ City. They are very different, I know it would be a bit more expense, but could be well worth it. www.virginblue.com.au has internal fares. Also choose your time of year well, if your worried about the heat check it out in summer, if say you hate winter Perth or Melb should be checked out then, Ive seen people come here in August and totally love it then wilt in summer. Also dont treat it as a holiday, do some job hunting as if you were actually living there, sounds stupid but hey a couple of interviews is not going to take that long is it? Look at some rentals not just the ads, go and view a few houses to buy, they often look great in a ad but the real thing? Do a grocery shop, well dont actually buy it, just take the UK weekly shop docket around and see what it costs here. Drive the drive in the rush hour (well that may not apply to perth) but you know just treat it as living there not holiday. We tried this approach last month in the UK, and it was far more useful than seeing the sights or shopping.
Some top tips in there dotty.

Old Jan 5th 2004, 11:15 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pagey

Have you got your accommodation sorted? You need to think about travel it would be best to hire a car to get about in. Bring your licence. You can set up a bank account ready to transfer your money into. If you give us some idea of what your budget may be we can offer some advice on areas to look at. If you let the forum know when you are coming you may get some people off the forum willing to meet up.

How long will your trip be for?
Old Jan 5th 2004, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

pagey is an unknown quantity at this point

I`m not to sure , i`m guesing it will be about 3 weeks , i`m hoping to get all the things on my` to do list` done in about 2 but as you say i want to try and get a couple of interviews and house visits done and this might take a little while . Does anybody know the address or the website of the place where i get the `restricted electrical licence` i have tried the search and it has helped but i really could do with the address , i want to try and get the info on the actual test itself , so i can do some revision prior to going , i would also like to know if ther is a waiting list to take it ( i could book it now if there is)