Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adventure travel

Adventure travel

Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:12 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adventure travel

I know this has been discussed lots but........

Given that the journey to Aus is the beggining of our adventures I kind of thought it would be nice to make the most of it, i.,e stopovers etc.

Anyone gone some inivative ways of getting there.
Went in to one travel shop, TRA, and got a quote for going West.
Air New Zealand will take you for £325. Stopping in California and then changing planes in Auckland then on to Bris. Cheap but a bit painful I would have thought. Though £50 extra to stop overnight in Auckland isn't bad.
As we have two kids, 3 & 4 ,I was thinking of a 5 day stop in California but this proved to difficult for the TRA rep so I left the shop.
Would still be nice though . I think Dubai is to near being only 7 hours away . You'll still have most of the flight to do.
Cruising over was a 5 week trip and about £5000 a head - bit steep, in fact, way to steep. X 4 = a car or part of a house.

Any ideas?
Anyone done something similar , i.e. with kids, to lessen the pain of a 26 hr flight.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:33 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Bump!

There was someone a while ago that went via America and went to Disneyland there.

When my parents went over in 1987 they stayed in the Maldives for 5 days and then Singapore for 2.
Though Maldives I think is now very expensive.

We were thinking of doing a stopover, but have decided against it because of money (don't have much, want to secure a job first) and because the trip over and settling in Oz will be enough excitement and fun.
Now we've just gone with the cheapest flight possible, with only a 2 hour stopover in Dubai.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

Last time we went to oz we stopped for a week in Singapore, loved it, lots to see and do, really enjoyed ourselves, food was cheap, so eat out every night in these open street type restaurants, but this was also before children, different story now. I think i would rather tough out the whole trip in one and get it over and done with, we've got a 2 hour stop in singapore on our way to Adelaide, if my daughter plays up i will make out i'm asleep and let my wife deal with her?..................
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:26 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

You have SE Asia, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, japan, NZ, US to chose from. What sort of adventure are you after and what budget. Thailand is cheap at the moment because of bird flu.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:19 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adventure travel

Originally posted by dazzac

Given that the journey to Aus is the beggining of our adventures I kind of thought it would be nice to make the most of it, i.,e stopovers etc.

Air New Zealand will take you for £325. Stopping in California and then changing planes in Auckland then on to Bris. Cheap but a bit painful I would have thought. Though £50 extra to stop overnight in Auckland isn't bad.
As we have two kids, 3 & 4 ,I was thinking of a 5 day stop in California but this proved to difficult for the TRA rep so I left the shop.
Would still be nice though . I think Dubai is to near being only 7 hours away . You'll still have most of the flight to do.
Cruising over was a 5 week trip and about £5000 a head - bit steep, in fact, way to steep. X 4 = a car or part of a house.

Any ideas?
Anyone done something similar , i.e. with kids, to lessen the pain of a 26 hr flight.
hi daz we have a timeshare on i drive florida and intend to stop over there for a week at least! not sure on practicality but who cares
Old Feb 7th 2004, 9:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adventure travel

Originally posted by dazzac

Any ideas?
Went out to Aukland with Air New zealand a while ago.
The planes are some of the best for legroom but no seatback videos etc.May have changed now.
LA was good for a couple of days. The airport is not far from Santa Monica,Venice beach etc and rooms cheap.
Some NZ planes stop at Rorutonga in the Cook Islands.these seem interesting and cheap with an airport straight out of a Humphrey Bogart film with a ukelele player to welcome you.
Well worth a look.

Not tried it with Kids though:scared:

May be worth looking at that route.

Good luck

G