British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Adventure of Starting Again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/adventure-starting-again-856132/)

tictac Apr 10th 2015 2:40 am

The Adventure of Starting Again

Here's a really insightful article for those contemplating a move "Down Under" (or anywhere else for that matter):

What it's like to start your life over and over again

I'm pretty sure it resonates with many of us.

Cheers

jad n rich Apr 10th 2015 3:06 am

Re: The Adventure of Starting Again

Originally Posted by tictac (Post 11615308)
Here's a really insightful article for those contemplating a move "Down Under" (or anywhere else for that matter):

What it's like to start your life over and over again

I'm pretty sure it resonates with many of us.

Cheers

Nice article.

We just moved from Acerage in SE Queensland to just outside the city in melbourne, for a few years while kids at UNI. It didnt involve crossing oceans, but it was just as expensive an exercise:blink:.

The loss of known medical professionals has been one of our worst problems. Plus the shock of living where crime is far more in your face.

People have been just like people, occasional nice person and occasional lunatic, like the woman in the unit next door who blocks our garage door for no apparent reason but the sheer hell of it.

Weather has been a great improvement since april began, cooler at last.
Melbourne felt horrible daytime in february and march, lower temps than qld but that heat in the city is magnified by its pollution, overcrowding and traffic.

The best part has been the little challenges, like mastering or avoiding trams :lol: trying ethnic restaurants recommended by kids uni pals:thumbup:. Wearing furry boots out in april when in qld I would still be in summer dresses. And the absolute nightmare of getting approval to build in a new state.

Same country but lots of different issues and just occasionally when you look at the few trees that are turning red and gold instead of palm trees it even feels like you 'moved' to a totally new place.

Beoz Apr 10th 2015 5:02 am

Re: The Adventure of Starting Again

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 11615316)
Nice article.

We just moved from Acerage in SE Queensland to just outside the city in melbourne, for a few years while kids at UNI. It didnt involve crossing oceans, but it was just as expensive an exercise:blink:.

The loss of known medical professionals has been one of our worst problems. Plus the shock of living where crime is far more in your face.

People have been just like people, occasional nice person and occasional lunatic, like the woman in the unit next door who blocks our garage door for no apparent reason but the sheer hell of it.

Weather has been a great improvement since april began, cooler at last.
Melbourne felt horrible daytime in february and march, lower temps than qld but that heat in the city is magnified by its pollution, overcrowding and traffic.

The best part has been the little challenges, like mastering or avoiding trams :lol: trying ethnic restaurants recommended by kids uni pals:thumbup:. Wearing furry boots out in april when in qld I would still be in summer dresses. And the absolute nightmare of getting approval to build in a new state.

Same country but lots of different issues and just occasionally when you look at the few trees that are turning red and gold instead of palm trees it even feels like you 'moved' to a totally new place.

Wow. Those Uni pals must think you are a bunch of old hillbillies :thumbsup: