Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advance, Australia fair...

Advance, Australia fair...

Old Dec 31st 2004, 10:54 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advance, Australia fair...

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...php?photo=1444

Is this really a first world country?
Old Dec 31st 2004, 11:25 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Wink Re: Advance, Australia fair...

Originally Posted by Rog Williams

Don't you mean, "Is this really a first world State/suburb?" ???!!! Manly beach Brisbane wouldn't look like that!

On a serious note though, that's bl**dy disgusting. And I thought the rubbish dumped around the place in England was bad!

Old Dec 31st 2004, 11:32 pm
wombat42

Default Re: Advance, Australia fair...

Its was probably mostly drunken British backpackers on the beach celebrating New Years that have littered the beach with their rubbish. l read an
article about all the litter and beer cans they dumped on Bondi beach during Christmas celebrations.

Last edited by wombat42; Dec 31st 2004 at 11:38 pm.

Old Dec 31st 2004, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

ILoveTheSun is on a distinguished road

This is the result of youngsters having a good time. No harm was done. They gave a hell of alot of money for the Tsunami collections as I witnessed myself. Did you take any photos of the girls that emptied their purses into collection buckets!!! So what that they left a mess... it will all be gone by today so stop your moaning.

Last edited by ILoveTheSun; Jan 1st 2005 at 1:35 am.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 12:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wombat42
Its was probably mostly drunken British backpackers on the beach celebrating New Years that have littered the beach with their rubbish. l read an
article about all the litter and beer cans they dumped on Bondi beach during Christmas celebrations.
My thoughts as well. Bondi was a lot quieter this year. Not sure if it was the weather or the alcohol ban.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 12:28 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that should be left at the beach are your footprints
Old Jan 1st 2005, 1:20 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by ILoveTheSun
This is the result of youngsters having a good time. No harm was done. They gave a hell of alot of money for the Tsunami collections as I witnessed myself. Did you take any photos of the girls that emptied their purses into collection buckets!!! So what that they left a mess... it will all be gone by today so stop your moaning.
P.S Is your real name Victor Meldrew
Would you feel the same way if you were one of the ones that had to clean it all up?

Old Jan 1st 2005, 1:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by aussie73
Would you feel the same way if you were one of the ones that had to clean it all up?
At Triple time pay rates on New Years day

Old Jan 1st 2005, 2:20 am
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point

You should have seen the City (Sydney) last night, that was one big mess as well.

I must point out that I watched a few people dump rubbish, some American guy even told someone to pickup the rubbish they have left. I would say about almost all of the rubbish is dropped by tourists.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 2:25 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

RW i think it's safe to assume you have never been to Glasgow after a Rangers/Celtic Game.

Malcolm.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 3:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

So far, then:

It's OK - it was "The Poms" what did it
It's OK - those what did it are charitable
It's OK - 'elps to give employment to the council employees
It's OK - it was all dropped by tourists anyway
It's OK - they do this in Glasgow just as much

Well, *I* don't think it's OK at all. Whoever dropped it - there is a "culture" here which I am afraid is indicative of a "Me" society, where you just do whatever you wish and to hell with what effect you have on everyone else. Someone else will (in this case literally) pick up the pieces.

Incidentally, the council man with whom I talked while taking the photos, (an Aussie, BTW) said that his countrymen were "pigs".

But then, he probably emigrated from England.

Last edited by Rog Williams; Jan 1st 2005 at 3:06 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 1st 2005, 3:24 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

So far, then:

Well, *I* don't think it's OK at all. Whoever dropped it - there is a "culture" here which I am afraid is indicative of a "Me" society, where you just do whatever you wish and to hell with what effect you have on everyone else. Someone else will (in this case literally) pick up the pieces.

Incidentally, the council man with whom I talked while taking the photos, (an Aussie, BTW) said that his countrymen were "pigs".

I agree,we are not English,Scottish but no matter where-if you make a mess-clean it up,respect more than anything else.

Im disgusted that other folks are left to clean up others mess,clean it up yourself you lazy B,s.

Ive taught my kids from day one NOT to drop their trash & we wont.

Donna.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 3:30 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

So far, then:

No, it is not ok by me. As I said, I think it's absolutely disgusting. There are plenty of rubbish bins around these public places and, even if they filled to overflowing, it's better that the rubbish is 'dumped' at the base of them if necessary. Many (fortunately, not all by a long shot) Westerners have a tendency to arrogantly believe that someone else will do their dirty work. Unfortunately we live in a throw-away society but there's still no need for this kind of slovenly behaviour.

Whilst I can see where Lynn is coming from, I'm afraid I disagree. Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I was taught as a child to put my rubbish in my bag/pocket (or otherwise carry it) if there wasn't a bin in sight, then take it to the next one I came across. Australia has spent a lot of money and tied up valuable resources on 'Clean Up' campaigns which shouldn't be necessary in the first place. Wouldn't that money be better spent helping the victims of the tsunami, our homeless, cancer research or any other good cause you wish to support?

Attached Images  

Last edited by ProofReader; Jan 1st 2005 at 4:46 am. Reason: To correct spelling of Lynn's name - sorry Lynn! :)
Old Jan 1st 2005, 3:59 am
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wombat42
Oh chill out!
Maybe it was the ..shock , horror...!Aussies as well?!
Old Jan 1st 2005, 7:41 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Oh blimey someone didnt get it last night then??? As someone already said, chill out! people get paid triple time to clean up and they dont do it for the love of it they do it for the dosh. It is one day of the year and every other day people respect the beaches and do put rubbish in the right places. Are you scrooge reborn or didnt the ghosts of Christmas get through to you?
I was in Sydney for 2000 celebrations, it was like a war zone but next day the City was clean and ready for its visitors. The way they clean up is little short of remarkable.

Happy New Year to all my Oz mates

By the way the car, is it enviromentaly friendly? or do you drive around polluting the atmosphere while taking your pics?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.