Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adult Education - Melbourne

Adult Education - Melbourne

Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice
Smile Adult Education - Melbourne

We have a Sub Class 136 Visa based on my husbands skills.

Once in Australia I would really like to study in order to obtain a more fulfilling career. I've been in finance for years so I may look at becoming a qualified I.F.A. or maybe something medical e.g. Radiographer/Ophthalmologist/Physiotherapist/Nutritionist.

I have a nearly 3yr old so would need to study & work taking his needs into account.

Can anyone offer any advice information about the quality of adult education offered in Melbourne. Are grants available especially if it's a skill in demand & are people with child-care considerations offered any assistance?

Thanks
Caroline
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:02 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Adult Education - Melbourne

bump
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:02 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Caroline G

Once in Australia I would really like to study in order to obtain a more fulfilling career. I've been in finance for years so I may look at becoming a qualified I.F.A. or maybe something medical e.g. Radiographer/Ophthalmologist/Physiotherapist/Nutritionist.

I have a nearly 3yr old so would need to study & work taking his needs into account.

Can anyone offer any advice information about the quality of adult education offered in Melbourne. Are grants available especially if it's a skill in demand & are people with child-care considerations offered any assistance?

Thanks
Caroline
Have you considered something of a naturopathic nature? There are many good colleges here and most offer distance learning. I'm studying to be a homoeopath, and am enrolled with the Sydney College of Homoeopathic Medicine, despite living in WA. This type of study fits around families very well and is very rewarding.

Sue
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline G

Thanks
Caroline
Hi there, not sure if I can help but I am looking at going back to finish my teaching training so that I can work. As we aren't PR yet I have to wait or else I get the fun of paying international fees. Once we have PR then the fees are the same as the locals but it is still complicated as there are only a certain number of commonwealth funded places and then a number of full fee paying places so I am just hoping to get the funded place as I don't fancy leaving with a huge debt.
I only have to do 1 more year to finish my training so I am waiting until 2007 then my youngest will be at school and the PR will be sorted so I have a year to get my degree OKd by the education department and get the other admin sorted. I am not sure whether then to bite the bullet and finish with a year full time at the local campus of La Trobe Uni or do the course part time over 2 years with Monash (probably a better choice stress wise with 4 kids to organise). The local Uni has been very helpful with giving me info on what I need to do when and their websites are a useful source of info as well. there are so many courses though that it can be a bit daunting

It is worth checking out the local Uni, TAFE webpages as they may have info on funding and should at least have some links to people that can help.
Good luck with it all I am really looking forward to getting my teeth into something again but am sort of glad that it has to wait until 2007 as I could do with a bit longer to get settled and hopefully organise buying our own place first.
Nicky
Old Dec 1st 2005, 5:10 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Post Re: Adult Education - Melbourne

Hi I am studying Psychology and Counselling through Correspondane:

http://www.acs.edu.au/default.aspx

They have been really helpful. The funny thing is my tutor is actually in the UK but as it is all done through email it works out quite well as if I have any probs I email her and it is normally in my email box first thing in the morning with the time difference!

I enroled over a year ago and have the written packages but I know quite a lot of things can be done online now.

The only thing is if you want to do exams you need to find someone that is qualified to receive the exam and allow you to sit it. The Principal at the childrens junior school was more than happy to do this and I just had to get her to sign a form and away we go!

Good Luck,

Louise
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Adult Education - Melbourne

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi I am studying Psychology and Counselling through Correspondane:

http://www.acs.edu.au/default.aspx

They have been really helpful. The funny thing is my tutor is actually in the UK but as it is all done through email it works out quite well as if I have any probs I email her and it is normally in my email box first thing in the morning with the time difference!

I enroled over a year ago and have the written packages but I know quite a lot of things can be done online now.

The only thing is if you want to do exams you need to find someone that is qualified to receive the exam and allow you to sit it. The Principal at the childrens junior school was more than happy to do this and I just had to get her to sign a form and away we go!

Good Luck,

Louise
Try www.open.edu.au

This is the website for the equivalent of the open university. There are loads of courses you can do. If you have TR, you will have to pay overseas student fees but these seem to be only $195 per year per course more.

Good luck!

Buzzy
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Try www.open.edu.au

This is the website for the equivalent of the open university. There are loads of courses you can do. If you have TR, you will have to pay overseas student fees but these seem to be only $195 per year per course more.

Good luck!

Buzzy
Has anyone done the Diploma of Professional Counselling run by AITC (Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors)? Correspondence course.

I'm thinking about it (if I can persuade hubby!) and would be interested to hear if anyone has done it already.

Judy