Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ADSL/Broadband while renting????

ADSL/Broadband while renting????

Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation ADSL/Broadband while renting????

Ok, it is mentioned on the addictive thread that getting ADSL while renting is difficult/impossible.

This is (one of my) worst nightmares!!!! :scared:

We'll be renting for years to come, and I won't survive without it!

And if Pascal will be doing his webdesign stuff, it's not handy either!!!

So, anybody out there that has rented and has had ADSL??
Especially Perth!

We're planning to get it, if it's possible, it's the one thing I won't save money on, don't care how much more expensive it is.

Thanks

Simone

P.S. Yes, it's sad. But I'm addicted........

Last edited by Simone; Jun 6th 2004 at 9:44 am.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:42 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ADSL/Broadband while renting????

Originally posted by Simone
Ok, it is mentioned on the addictive thread that getting ADSL while renting is difficult/impossible.

This is (on of my) worst nightmares!!!! :scared:
Yikes! I'll be working from home so broadband is a must.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:54 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Simone
Actually, having gone back and looked at that thread, I think you may have mis-interpreted the problem. Tinaj merely said that there was something weird going on with the cabling in that particular (rented) house. I don't think it was anything to do with it being rented per se. Well I hope so!
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Actually, having gone back and looked at that thread, I think you may have mis-interpreted the problem. Tinaj merely said that there was something weird going on with the cabling in that particular (rented) house. I don't think it was anything to do with it being rented per se. Well I hope so!
Hope so!!
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We got all excited when they announced that our exchange was ADSL compatible, but alas we can't get it here because they have 'pair gained' our cable to the house. This means they have split one cable to go to 2 houses ( prob to save money) You wouldn't expect them to do this anymore but we live in a brand new house so were shocked by this. This is quite common out here and means you can't get ADSL as you need the whole cable for it to pass through.

It completely depends on the area where you live. If it is vital for you, be prepared for high instalation costs as well as you will have to get a place checked out before you rent it. A friend of mine had to have ADSL for his work, so he had his rental house checked out for compatability, this cost him a few hundred $ then he had to pay to have it installed on top!

We had broadband for years before we came out so were pi**ed off to say the least when we found out we could not get it. The telephone companies are useless at telling you if you can or can't as well. After 6 phone calls it was 3 said yes 3 said no!!

The dial up here is a lot faster than the one we had in the UK, so we have to make do for now!

I don't pretend to a be a computer expert, I am just telling you what we found here on the Sunny Coast.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:01 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by tinaj

I don't pretend to a be a computer expert, I am just telling you what we found here on the Sunny Coast.
Thanks Tina.

Hope some people in Perth replies too.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:02 am
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Hhhmm, don't know if this is a stupid idea...but eerr...everyone's talking about ADSL.

What about cable internet??

I know that's possible in Melbourne...maybe in Perth as well?

I agree though, broadband connection is a must!
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:04 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Sander
Hhhmm, don't know if this is a stupid idea...but eerr...everyone's talking about ADSL.

What about cable internet??

I know that's possible in Melbourne...maybe in Perth as well?

I agree though, broadband connection is a must!
Hey Sander!

I have no idea... I thought cable was even more difficult than adsl, but I don't know much about it...
Old Jun 6th 2004, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Cable, what's that???
No where around us has Cable- they are way behind the Uk here unless you live in one of the cities.

ADSL is supposed to be available to people who can't get cable........
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:28 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Cable, what's that???
No where around us has Cable- they are way behind the Uk here unless you live in one of the cities.

ADSL is supposed to be available to people who can't get cable........
No, it's an alternative connection technology. The reason xDSL is more common than cable (at least outside of the US/Canada) is that phone land-lines are more common than fibre-optic.

Australia is miles behind the US when it comes to cable.

Chances are a lot of places outside of the big cities in Australia will never get cable due to demographics, so xDSL may be the way to go.

There's always satellite and wireless broadband as well. In fact, wireless broadband may well be the future of it all.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

We got all excited when they announced that our exchange was ADSL compatible, but alas we can't get it here because they have 'pair gained' our cable to the house. This means they have split one cable to go to 2 houses ( prob to save money) You wouldn't expect them to do this anymore but we live in a brand new house so were shocked by this. This is quite common out here and means you can't get ADSL as you need the whole cable for it to pass through.
Check out the Whirlpool forums re pair gain.

There has been quite a lot of talk on there about people failing to get ADSL because of pair gain, rim etc, particularly if they are going with a non Tel$ra ISP. Miraculously, when applying for connection with a certain ISP linked to a certain national Telco, it is found they can in fact get ADSL!

Another option (though a bit more costly) is to get a second phone line to your home, but make it conditional on being able to deliver ADSL
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:34 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Ulujain
There's always satellite and wireless broadband as well. In fact, wireless broadband may well be the future of it all.
I would go with that - has to be the way to go. Easier to install, more flexible to use, better for the environment etc. Only downside is need for proper security on the connection - but then, even dial up users need to have decent security these days, so should not really make much difference.

Anya.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

re ADSL whilst renting; no worries, any modifications to your phone equipment are purely limited to the exchange. Absolutely NOTHING is changed in the house, so absolutely nothing stopping you renting and having ADSL
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

we are renting and have ADSL. We are near Sydney though. The first house we rented we couldn't get ADSL because it was too far from the exchange. The second house we rented we got it straight away with no probs. the house we are in now we were only just outside the exchange (literally the house next door but one got it!!), so we kept applying and applying and eventually on 1st April they decided to expand the range and we got it. So it does depend on the area you are in. What we did was ask the estate agents, although they will say anything to rent a house sometimes, we also asked some neighbours of possible rentals before we committed to signing a lease.

mandy
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:44 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I'm bringing my own cable and ADSL stuff home with me anyway, just in case. But like I said somewhere before, I can seriously see myself dialing up again...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.