ADSL broadband

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: ADSL broadband

Originally Posted by Marissa
We never go over our download limit, so that can't be the reason it is so slow. We have checked Bigpond wesite to see if ADSL 2 is available in our area and it seems as though it is and for the same price as we are paying now. So, we have requested to upgrade and now have to wait up to 4 days for a reply, to whether we can or not. Think I will have to do a bit of research, "naked ADSL, ISP" sorry for being so thick!!!

M
ISP = internet service provider, the mob who provide your internet access, in this case telstra/bigpond

Naked ADSL - where you just use your phone line for internet and NOT for an actual phone line, so you will not pay line rental. It also means you have no home phone, so you either use mobiles, or use VOIP (Voice Over Internet basically) whereby all calls are the net and not standard phone lines. If set up correctly works well, but does not suit everyone as if net goes down, so does phoneline.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Marissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by slipshot
As I said in my previous note, you may need to activate some settings in your modem. Tell me the exact spec (model number) of the modem (either the old or new one) and I'll tell you what to do.

Ideally, it will be ADSL 2+ capable - most are but your new Belkin will be.

The fact you changed package may not make a difference. In simple terms, ADSL = 8 meg max. ADSL 2 = 16 meg max. ADSL2+ = 24 meg max, but no-one ever gets these speeds unless they live on top of the exchange.

If your exchange is ADSL2+ enabled, ALWAYS go for this. It's the fastest and cheapest because unlike ADSL it does not require Telstra equipment so the cost savings are there to be had.

Tell me the details and I'll advise what to do.
The modem supplied by Bigpond is N wire 2071-A
The router is a Belkin N wireless router model F5D236-4 V2
The old one also supplied by Bigpond is Siemens speedstream 6520 wireless ADSL gateway (no longer using this one)

Told by Bigpond that we will be on ADSL2 today, but so far, don't think so.

We use to lap tops to download on, one is a IBM thinkpad T23 with a network card, the other one, which is less than 6 months old is a Toshiba Satellite, download speed is the same on both at the moment.

Thanks so much,

M
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Marissa
The modem supplied by Bigpond is N wire 2071-A
The router is a Belkin N wireless router model F5D236-4 V2
The old one also supplied by Bigpond is Siemens speedstream 6520 wireless ADSL gateway (no longer using this one)

Told by Bigpond that we will be on ADSL2 today, but so far, don't think so.

We use to lap tops to download on, one is a IBM thinkpad T23 with a network card, the other one, which is less than 6 months old is a Toshiba Satellite, download speed is the same on both at the moment.

Thanks so much,

M
Working on the Belkin, since it's the newest, I'm guessing the model number is actually F5D8326? V2000?

This is what you need to do. All modern modem/routers have a 'thing' called uPnP. This is basically another name for 'port forwarding' that allows things like utorrent to send and receive data by opening a special port. It can work without it but its a lot slower. This is what I think is happenign with you.

I know you are on utorrent - same as me. Easiest way to see (for everyone on utorrent although others have their own process) is to look at the bottom of the programme, when running, for an icon. Ideally, middle of the screen, to the right of where it says DHT is an icon. If this is a green circle with a white tick in it, then you're fine. If it's an exclamation mark then you probably do not have port forwarding on so you need to do this.

Connect to your router via the ethernet cable and not wirelessly.

Got o your internet browser (explorer for eg) and type in nothing else other than 192.168.2.1

If it asks for user name and password type admin and admin if you have not chnaged these.

Go to the utilities page

Go to UPnp enabling

Click enable then click apply changes to save the chnages.

In utorrent if you go to the settings, and under connection, check the enable uPnP port mapping too and then restart this.

That should then give you a green tick and show you have maximum downloads and uploads enabled and thus things should be nice and fast.

HTH.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Working on the Belkin, since it's the newest, I'm guessing the model number is actually F5D8326? V2000?

This is what you need to do. All modern modem/routers have a 'thing' called uPnP. This is basically another name for 'port forwarding' that allows things like utorrent to send and receive data by opening a special port. It can work without it but its a lot slower. This is what I think is happenign with you.

I know you are on utorrent - same as me. Easiest way to see (for everyone on utorrent although others have their own process) is to look at the bottom of the programme, when running, for an icon. Ideally, middle of the screen, to the right of where it says DHT is an icon. If this is a green circle with a white tick in it, then you're fine. If it's an exclamation mark then you probably do not have port forwarding on so you need to do this.

Connect to your router via the ethernet cable and not wirelessly.

Got o your internet browser (explorer for eg) and type in nothing else other than 192.168.2.1

If it asks for user name and password type admin and admin if you have not chnaged these.

Go to the utilities page

Go to UPnp enabling

Click enable then click apply changes to save the chnages.

In utorrent if you go to the settings, and under connection, check the enable uPnP port mapping too and then restart this.

That should then give you a green tick and show you have maximum downloads and uploads enabled and thus things should be nice and fast.

HTH.
Also, given they are moving you, make sure you restart all computers and your modem to ensure it takes advantage of the new configuration...
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

obiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to beholdobiwan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm with Internode, same speed and 50Gb/month for $49.95.

I find them very good.
I too can vouch for Internode, anyone on Telstra or Optus should switch as soon as they can...
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Marissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant future

Also, given they are moving you, make sure you restart all computers and your modem to ensure it takes advantage of the new configuration...
So pleased you told me this bit and OMG, just downloaded 50% of corrie in 3 mins WOW. KBP/S peaked at 508, before I was only getting max 27KB/S

Think the big problem was ADSL, ADSL2 is magic.

I am a very happy bunny.

Thank you so much, Slipshot, if you are ever in Mornington, we will buy you a pint.
Also a thank you to everyone who replied to my thread

M
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Andrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to all

Hi all,
Has anyone got any experience of "e-wire"?
I am really struggling with this Broadband issue here in Oz; I was with Virgin back home and seemed to get faster speeds and bigger downloads for cheaper prices... don't ask me what they were though as I haven't got a clue. Basically i need to have a fast enough speed and big enough download limit that will give me good Skype video calls (I have a wireless N router if that helps?), a bit of surfing the net plus emails for me, plus emails, facebook, MSM etc for my 2 daughters.
We don't have a land line for the phone yet but the rental does have a Modem point on the phone box plus this "e-wire" connection available.

Any advice would be great; I went to office works for some advice and they didn't know about e-wire but suggested internode (mentioned in this thread as being pretty good)
One last thing... I don't want to be tied to a contract if possible - certainly not more than 6 months.

Many Thanks
Mark from Secret Harbour
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andrews2oz
Hi all,
Has anyone got any experience of "e-wire"?
I am really struggling with this Broadband issue here in Oz; I was with Virgin back home and seemed to get faster speeds and bigger downloads for cheaper prices... don't ask me what they were though as I haven't got a clue. Basically i need to have a fast enough speed and big enough download limit that will give me good Skype video calls (I have a wireless N router if that helps?), a bit of surfing the net plus emails for me, plus emails, facebook, MSM etc for my 2 daughters.
We don't have a land line for the phone yet but the rental does have a Modem point on the phone box plus this "e-wire" connection available.

Any advice would be great; I went to office works for some advice and they didn't know about e-wire but suggested internode (mentioned in this thread as being pretty good)
One last thing... I don't want to be tied to a contract if possible - certainly not more than 6 months.

Many Thanks
Mark from Secret Harbour
Hi Mark

e-wire - from what I know it's another service like optus whereby they provide a line for you - but it's expensive as they have to recoup their costs, and thus it's not worth it. Far better to go for a normal ISP via the phone line. I see e-ire are charging for $40 for a 2 meg speed - that's crazy. Way too slow given other offers out there.

Everything you outline says you do not need a massive amount of data allowance - 20 gig a month would be fine as an example. Speed is more crucial but to be honest, a decent ADSL line (not even ADSL2 or 2+) will give you fine Skype calls. The only reason you need a large download limit is using things like torrents, which you do not mention so the rest will be fine.

Wireless N router will not make much difference but it's good that you have one. That's not going to be an issue then.

Good ISP's - TPG, Internode, iinet plus many others.

Key thing is go here:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

and put in your phone number. This will tell you who supplies your area and you know who to narrow down your search to.

Personally there is far more competition in the standard ISP service so have a look at whirlpool and see what is available. Happy to help if you need anything else.

If you want, PM me your phone number and I can then see how far away you are from the exchange which will dictate what likely speeds you will get - and thus you'll know if and what is possible.

Slip
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Mark

e-wire - from what I know it's another service like optus whereby they provide a line for you - but it's expensive as they have to recoup their costs, and thus it's not worth it. Far better to go for a normal ISP via the phone line. I see e-ire are charging for $40 for a 2 meg speed - that's crazy. Way too slow given other offers out there.

Everything you outline says you do not need a massive amount of data allowance - 20 gig a month would be fine as an example. Speed is more crucial but to be honest, a decent ADSL line (not even ADSL2 or 2+) will give you fine Skype calls. The only reason you need a large download limit is using things like torrents, which you do not mention so the rest will be fine.

Wireless N router will not make much difference but it's good that you have one. That's not going to be an issue then.

Good ISP's - TPG, Internode, iinet plus many others.

Key thing is go here:
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

and put in your phone number. This will tell you who supplies your area and you know who to narrow down your search to.

Personally there is far more competition in the standard ISP service so have a look at whirlpool and see what is available. Happy to help if you need anything else.

If you want, PM me your phone number and I can then see how far away you are from the exchange which will dictate what likely speeds you will get - and thus you'll know if and what is possible.

Slip
Then go to here

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=search

and make sure you go for 8 meg as slowest speed (depends on location though) and you want a 6 month plan and it will advise who does this. You'll obviously pay more but it will help you secure the best deal for you.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Just checked our account and it says we are now on ADSL2+ $89.95 per month with 25G download and the speed is now amazing.