ADSL broadband

Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:23 am
Just Joined

Marissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant future
Default Re: ADSL broadband

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Careful!!
Bigpond have a habit of metering uploads on their plans so you might find you reach your download limit pretty quickly using torrents. (In fact perhaps you've already done that and have had your speed 'capped' - hence slow speed now?)

You need to get away from BigPond ASAP - for that money you could get a really decent ADSL2 account with a proper ISP - possibly even a naked ADSL account and ditch the phone line expense too!

If you're contractually locked into BigPond then you may need to limit uploads from your torrent client to stop excessive use of your data. Problem with this is private trackers require you to have a decent ratio of upload-download. So you might be stuck!! Look carefully at the cost of breaking your contract. It might be worth paying to get out and get decent ISP account!
We never go over our download limit, so that can't be the reason it is so slow. We have checked Bigpond wesite to see if ADSL 2 is available in our area and it seems as though it is and for the same price as we are paying now. So, we have requested to upgrade and now have to wait up to 4 days for a reply, to whether we can or not. Think I will have to do a bit of research, "naked ADSL, ISP" sorry for being so thick!!!

M
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Marissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant futureMarissa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by slipshot
With something like UK Nova and their amount of seeds, I think this is not the issue. More likely you need to set up your modem properly - how old is it? You may need to activate uPnP or set up port forwarding in order to open the ports to allow a far faster speed.

I use thebox.bz and an episode of Benders takes about 10 minutes to download on ADSL2+ with an 8 meg line.

That said, you need to check if bigpond count uploads - it should be fairly easy to see in your T&C's if you look for this. This will be a problem for you if you use UK nova or thebox as to remain a member you need to upload more than you download - or if you are not familiar with how to set things up you may be permanently uploading, not know it and thus be 'shaped' - as outlined above.

Few things to consider I'm afraid...
Our modem is just over a year old and apparently ADSL2 compatable and we have just bought a brand new Belkin N wireless router. When we upgraded from the $59.95 package to the $89.85 we were told that the internet would be 5 time faster and to me it is no different appart from having twice as much download limit.

M
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by northernbird
I can download a 176MB episode of Coronation St (sad or what!!!) in 7 minutes!!
Please tell all, HOW!!

I KNEW that I had read on this forum that some can download in such a short time. What do i need? I am sick of wasting money upgrading things that don't work!

M
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marissa
Please tell all, HOW!!

I KNEW that I had read on this forum that some can download in such a short time. What do i need? I am sick of wasting money upgrading things that don't work!

M
No idea. Distance from exchange is crucial. a lot of providers don't tell you that. They say they can provide XX speeds but only if you have the optimal set up. We are close to the exchange and I have obviously got my set up right. Don't ask me how I did it though, have been running it like this for over 4 years.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:57 am
Just Joined

No idea. Distance from exchange is crucial. a lot of providers don't tell you that. They say they can provide XX speeds but only if you have the optimal set up. We are close to the exchange and I have obviously got my set up right. Don't ask me how I did it though, have been running it like this for over 4 years.
So, who are you with and which package and is it ADSL 1 or 2 or whatever. Do you know how far you are from the exchange. Who set it up?

M
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Our modem is just over a year old and apparently ADSL2 compatable and we have just bought a brand new Belkin N wireless router. When we upgraded from the $59.95 package to the $89.85 we were told that the internet would be 5 time faster and to me it is no different appart from having twice as much download limit.

M
How long is your lead from wall socket to wireless modem (wireless is not ideal for downloading large files )
Belkin have problems (search whirlpool )
Billion are far superior.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

So, who are you with and which package and is it ADSL 1 or 2 or whatever. Do you know how far you are from the exchange. Who set it up?

M
I know I am 1km from my local exchange and I am ADSL2 with iinet. I set the modem up but for the life of me can't remember what I did, can barely remember yesterday let alone 4 years ago! I use Azureus as a download client. We are also not wireless which I think helps with the downloading.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We never go over our download limit, so that can't be the reason it is so slow. We have checked Bigpond wesite to see if ADSL 2 is available in our area and it seems as though it is and for the same price as we are paying now. So, we have requested to upgrade and now have to wait up to 4 days for a reply, to whether we can or not. Think I will have to do a bit of research, "naked ADSL, ISP" sorry for being so thick!!!

M
Check out some other providers - iinet, TPG etc. Most are far superior to Telstra.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Check out some other providers - iinet, TPG etc. Most are far superior to Telstra.
Could be like us and only able to use Telstra resellers so no Iinet or TPG,
still some good plans available but not as good as those.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

At the moment here in the UK we are with Sky internet and Sky TV package, we are priced for 16mg, and we average around 10/11mg of that without any real problems, other than line load at peak times but even then it drops to around 6mg. So looking at Australian internet is a bit scary, as my husband is a net geek and loves his dodgy d/loads
Doesn't cable exist there yet? And do you have Sky over there with an internet add on? or is it just the distances and the crappy phone lines?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:09 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I can download a 176MB episode of Coronation St (sad or what!!!) in 7 minutes!!
Currently with Internode and their 'fast' plan - 50Gb.

800mb in 9 or 10 mins and get 1.1 - 1.2mb down ...
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:24 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deb68
At the moment here in the UK we are with Sky internet and Sky TV package, we are priced for 16mg, and we average around 10/11mg of that without any real problems, other than line load at peak times but even then it drops to around 6mg. So looking at Australian internet is a bit scary, as my husband is a net geek and loves his dodgy d/loads
Doesn't cable exist there yet? And do you have Sky over there with an internet add on? or is it just the distances and the crappy phone lines?
24Mb ADSL2+ is common in Australia so you should be able to get better speeds than you do now. I usually get a 'real' DL speed of 16-21Mb and have a 120Gb cap ($70/month) - so plenty of capacity to download.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:43 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm with iinet and I'd download that kind of thing in 20 minutes or under - usually a lot under.
I'm with iinet too. V. Good!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

M
As I said in my previous note, you may need to activate some settings in your modem. Tell me the exact spec (model number) of the modem (either the old or new one) and I'll tell you what to do.

Ideally, it will be ADSL 2+ capable - most are but your new Belkin will be.

The fact you changed package may not make a difference. In simple terms, ADSL = 8 meg max. ADSL 2 = 16 meg max. ADSL2+ = 24 meg max, but no-one ever gets these speeds unless they live on top of the exchange.

If your exchange is ADSL2+ enabled, ALWAYS go for this. It's the fastest and cheapest because unlike ADSL it does not require Telstra equipment so the cost savings are there to be had.

Tell me the details and I'll advise what to do.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mulben
How long is your lead from wall socket to wireless modem (wireless is not ideal for downloading large files )
May6be not ideal in that it will be slower, but not the the extent of the OP's original question. You may drop a meg or two of speed, but much depends on your original speed, type of router/modem, power of laptop or desktop receiving unit etc.

I work perfectly well on wireless on all home machines and often download large files without an issue. It may be 10 seconds faster on a wired connection but then the settings in your torrent client will have a far greater effect if you wanted to change the speed of download and upload.

Thus being on wireless in the scheme of things will not make much of a difference so do not go to wired just to increase speeds - there are other options first...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.