Adsl

Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default Adsl

Hi folks,

Just testing out the new ADSL connection. (strained voice : MUST TRY TO AVOID NEW ADDICTION)

Things have been interesting but fairly straight forward. The ADSL account has been the worst so far. Telstra make BT's customer service look good!

We had our first encounter with the Aussie health service after the young but balshy one got his finger slammed in the front door. Much blood (there goes our rental bond) and wailing.

Short person was raced to Swan district Emergency and several click above the legal norm! We were seen within 10 mins of getting to the desk but had a fair wait in the emergency room. They tried to give him an injection,big mistake!! The doctor became quite concerned about the flailing foot near his groin and decided to book the creature into the Princess Margaret plastics unit. I couldn't believe it when they said "right tomorrow at 7:30". So of we went and he's all patched up. I wouldn't say it's better than the UK but it felt quicker.

We had the air con installed last weekend. It's very nice but I reckon the landlord should have ordered a higher powered unit as it's a fair sized place with 7 outlets. Still you can't blame them for staying on the cheap. Guys were pretty good, turned up whne the said and did the job quickly.

I'm not bothering about work until after Xmas now. Far too busy honing my skills on the new Webber kettle we just got. They are the business but a bit expensive at $260 for the BBQ and another $200 for the gas.

Less interestingly we just got a lawnmower so for those comparing prices: we paid $470 for a pertol 4 stroke with an 18" cut. You can spend a lot more but that seemed to be about average.

For those heading for QLD a little story from bruv. He arrived home on Friday a dumped the groceries near the microwave only to hear a loud hissing. Apparently Woolworths don't sell many vegetables that hiss so he backed away looking for a light switch. The lights come on and an exceedingly irritable Eastern Brown looks him in the eye. With trusty broom in hand Bruv does his impression of George and the Dragon (aka Shirley Temple) but said snake darts behind the toaster. As he moves the toaster a sodding great Huntsman appears to confront the snake. Obviously thinking better of the move it makes a leap for the broom and starts heading up the handle. Spider is liberally coated in Mortein and eventually Bruv decides there's nothing for it and grabs the snake with a long pair of tongs and slings it out over the front paddock. Apparently he can now just about hold a beer without spilling it all! Australia - Welcome now kiss your arse goodbye!

Go easy

Nick

Enough for now.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:45 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adsl

Originally posted by Nibbs
Hi folks,

Just testing out the new ADSL connection. (strained voice : MUST TRY TO AVOID NEW ADDICTION)

Things have been interesting but fairly straight forward. The ADSL account has been the worst so far. Telstra make BT's customer service look good!

We had our first encounter with the Aussie health service after the young but balshy one got his finger slammed in the front door. Much blood (there goes our rental bond) and wailing.

Short person was raced to Swan district Emergency and several click above the legal norm! We were seen within 10 mins of getting to the desk but had a fair wait in the emergency room. They tried to give him an injection,big mistake!! The doctor became quite concerned about the flailing foot near his groin and decided to book the creature into the Princess Margaret plastics unit. I couldn't believe it when they said "right tomorrow at 7:30". So of we went and he's all patched up. I wouldn't say it's better than the UK but it felt quicker.

We had the air con installed last weekend. It's very nice but I reckon the landlord should have ordered a higher powered unit as it's a fair sized place with 7 outlets. Still you can't blame them for staying on the cheap. Guys were pretty good, turned up whne the said and did the job quickly.

I'm not bothering about work until after Xmas now. Far too busy honing my skills on the new Webber kettle we just got. They are the business but a bit expensive at $260 for the BBQ and another $200 for the gas.

Less interestingly we just got a lawnmower so for those comparing prices: we paid $470 for a pertol 4 stroke with an 18" cut. You can spend a lot more but that seemed to be about average.

For those heading for QLD a little story from bruv. He arrived home on Friday a dumped the groceries near the microwave only to hear a loud hissing. Apparently Woolworths don't sell many vegetables that hiss so he backed away looking for a light switch. The lights come on and an exceedingly irritable Eastern Brown looks him in the eye. With trusty broom in hand Bruv does his impression of George and the Dragon (aka Shirley Temple) but said snake darts behind the toaster. As he moves the toaster a sodding great Huntsman appears to confront the snake. Obviously thinking better of the move it makes a leap for the broom and starts heading up the handle. Spider is liberally coated in Mortein and eventually Bruv decides there's nothing for it and grabs the snake with a long pair of tongs and slings it out over the front paddock. Apparently he can now just about hold a beer without spilling it all! Australia - Welcome now kiss your arse goodbye!

Go easy

Nick

Enough for now.
Why did you join Helstra? How much do you pay for your link?
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Hiya Bondi,

Yeah yeah I know. I was in the market for quick and "easy" as well as a bit of a credit rating. Price is $76.95 for a 1Gb @ 512kbps. Self installation kit with single port modem $189.

Telstra should be bringing out an unlimited plan soon.

Now I've got the connection I can do a bit of research and change it when we move to our new place!

Have you got any experience of wireless networks? With one phone point I'm sat in the bloody kitchen with this thing. Means I can't slag off the wife's rellies!

Last edited by Nibbs; Dec 15th 2003 at 10:11 am.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:14 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Nibbs
Hiya Bondi,

Yeah yeah I know. I was in the market for quick and "easy" as well as a bit of a credit rating.

Telstra should be bringing out an unlimited plan soon.

Now I've got the connection I can do a bit of research and change it when we move to our new place!
I am with Swiftel and had a good experience so far. www.swiftdsl.com.au .

The plan started at $50 a month for 5gbs but that has gone up to 8Gbs for no extra cost. Excess gigs are $5 a gb .

Telstra tend to follow the competition rather than set the benchmark. They also have a very bad name for service, customer service and price.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bondipom
I am with Swiftel and had a good experience so far. www.swiftdsl.com.au .

The plan started at $50 a month for 5gbs but that has gone up to 8Gbs for no extra cost. Excess gigs are $5 a gb .

Telstra tend to follow the competition rather than set the benchmark. They also have a very bad name for service, customer service and price.

Definitely a better deal, about $25 cheaper pm. If I'd had the time I'd have spent more time at http://www.broadbandchoice.com.au

Telstra service is poor. I had to ring 5 times and it took a month to deliver the kit. Even then they hadn't sent out the account details and it took 4 attempts to install. Funny that as your limited to 3 free support calls before they charge. Coincidence??

Anyways it's only for the first year!

Cheers