Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:52 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Anyone got any experience?

OH is totally fed up with the crap down here and we're thinking about moving to Brissie in the search of less crap!

Everyone tells us "oh but it's the Gold Coast wages" ... but it's not just the money, it's the availability!!!

A good move? ...
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Hey Paul

Is Nic still studying? Are you finding it difficult to find 20 hrs work? If so, why? We're comin to Gold Coast in October
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tasmas
Hey Paul

Is Nic still studying? Are you finding it difficult to find 20 hrs work? If so, why? We're comin to Gold Coast in October
Nic finished school in May 2006, I stopped in Aug 2007.

We've both been working full time since Aug 2007.

I've landed on my feet, but she's having agg finding decent full time work.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Nic finished school in May 2006, I stopped in Aug 2007.

We've both been working full time since Aug 2007.

I've landed on my feet, but she's having agg finding decent full time work.

Did she finish hairdressing or did she do something else? How is her thyroid?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by tasmas
Did she finish hairdressing or did she do something else? How is her thyroid?
Ditched hairdressing, not for her!

Her thyroid med isn't doing much and she's totally fed up with it! ...

thanks for asking tho ...
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditched hairdressing, not for her!

Her thyroid med isn't doing much and she's totally fed up with it! ...

thanks for asking tho ...
i've only been on the med 50mcg for 10 days. I don't feel any different. suppose it takes some time. As long as your both okay.

Isn't there any recep/admin jobs available in hotels/theme parks in gold coast?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:11 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

OH is totally fed up with the crap down here and we're thinking about moving to Brissie in the search of less crap!

Everyone tells us "oh but it's the Gold Coast wages" ... but it's not just the money, it's the availability!!!

A good move? ...
Haven't worked at Gold Coast, but lots to choose from in Brisbane.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I'm having the same problem getting admin work on the GC It's driving me mad. I have worked in administration for about 18 years now.

I have said before I went for a job at one of the Universities here and they had 174 applicants for one job, it's crazy. I did make the final 4, so I asked for feedback and they said that anyone of us could have got the job but 1 had experience in a uni, hence she got the job.

I have stopped being fussy but got turned down for a bloody job in a kitchen today, what's a girl to do?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 11:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A good move? ...
Depends what sort of place she's looking to work in - Coming up to Brisbane there are lots of government positions going, maybe give that a try?
www.jobs.qld.gov.au/
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:08 pm

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Depends what sort of place she's looking to work in - Coming up to Brisbane there are lots of government positions going, maybe give that a try?
www.jobs.qld.gov.au/
Further to the above, and if you're interested in temping while you find something better, the agency 'Select' handle a lot of the government positions. Approx $25/hour for day dreaming all day whilst hitting 'down, delete, down' over and over again.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

You will usually find Admin work in Brisbane pays more than what you will get on the Gold Coast. I worked in Admin. on the Gold Coast and then we moved to Brissie. Pay here is much better and that goes for a lot of jobs not just Admin.

Putting your name down at any of the recruitment agencies for Temp work is a good idea. You can get temp Admin work in Govt. agencies which pay around $21+(this being the bottom dollar amount) per hour depending on the level you go in at. Its a great way to get into the Govt sector through the 'back door'.

But there are heaps of Admin jobs here in Brisbane. Just go to seek.com.au and do a search for the last 3 days and you will see what I mean.

I found it harder to get into Admin/Reception on the Gold Coast than I did here in Brisbane. We have never regretted our move to Brisbane either!

Good luck.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by imanaussie
You will usually find Admin work in Brisbane pays more than what you will get on the Gold Coast. I worked in Admin. on the Gold Coast and then we moved to Brissie. Pay here is much better and that goes for a lot of jobs not just Admin.

Putting your name down at any of the recruitment agencies for Temp work is a good idea. You can get temp Admin work in Govt. agencies which pay around $21+(this being the bottom dollar amount) per hour depending on the level you go in at. Its a great way to get into the Govt sector through the 'back door'.

But there are heaps of Admin jobs here in Brisbane. Just go to seek.com.au and do a search for the last 3 days and you will see what I mean.

I found it harder to get into Admin/Reception on the Gold Coast than I did here in Brisbane. We have never regretted our move to Brisbane either!

Good luck.
may i ask why? (sorry for interrupting your post!)

its just that we're debating whether to move to the Gold Coast or To Brisbane. I'm going to do Hairdressing on a student visa and can't decide where to do it though. Initially the concensus was definately the Gold Coast, now I seem to get the impresssion that things aren't quite so good as people are making out?

Would we be better of looking at Brisbane, maybe in the Northern Suburbs, North lakes/ Redcliffe? areas?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumpysean

Would we be better of looking at Brisbane, maybe in the Northern Suburbs, North lakes/ Redcliffe? areas?
Have a look at a little village called Woody point 2klm south of Redcliffe. This is not a surf beach however its a beautiful coastline on a sunny day and the gov and councils are chucking multimillions ( and I mean BIG bucks) into the area, one on the beachfronts, 2 on the roads into brisbane, another bridge is going across now, a road upgrade out to the northern suburbs and airport. The biggest shopping centre in qld is planned 10 mins away, the biggest shopping centre in qld is already 20 mins away, even bunnings plan on the biggest store in qld within 10 mins. ALDI have stuck 3 stores in this area, getting an aldi in your area is like winning bingo in OZ.

In a nutshell you can live on the coast but be 30 mins to brisbane CBD and 20 mins to north brisbane which is about to have its own CBD. Work prospects around that area are great cause you have a choice of the area itself, north brisbane, City brisbane and the mega growing caboolture region, and go home to the beach, with none of the silly wages of the more 'holiday' coasts.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 18th 2008 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Have a look at a little village called Woody point 2klm south of Redcliffe. This is not a surf beach however its a beautiful coastline on a sunny day and the gov and councils are chucking multimillions ( and I mean BIG bucks) into the area, one on the beachfronts, 2 on the roads into brisbane, another bridge is going across now, a road upgrade out to the northern suburbs and airport. The biggest shopping centre in qld is planned 10 mins away, the biggest shopping centre in qld is already 20 mins away, even bunnings plan on the biggest store in qld within 10 mins. ALDI have stuck 3 stores in this area, getting an aldi in your area is like winning bingo in OZ.

In a nutshell you can live on the coast but be 30 mins to brisbane CBD and 20 mins to north brisbane which is about to have its own CBD. Work prospects around that area are great cause you have a choice of the area itself, north brisbane, City brisbane and the mega growing caboolture region, and go home to the beach, with none of the silly wages of the more 'holiday' coasts.

Thankyou for your help!

This is so difficult for us. We are thinking about me and hubby coming out for a reccy without the kids before applying for the student visa in Oct/nov time but can't really afford to. I just am concerned that i'll enrol on the course on the gold Coast and won't like it when we get there! We have friends up on the Sunshine coast who rate it very highly who come from Suffol back in the UK so know what we're used to! But trying to make a decsion based on a place we've never been is a nightmare. It's not as if we can move easily once we get here. I have to stay at the college for 2 yrs so we have to make the right choice.

Thanks again for your suggestions.................

Becky
Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:51 am
Account Closed

Well it's looking like a move to Brissie is on the cards. I've shown Nic the replies and it's given her some optimism as she was feeling a bit down cos of her work situation down here.

She's gonna try and get a job on the south side ideally, but wherever really and do the commute to start. We'll stay here and if all goes well we'll move up and I'll then commute back to the Goldie as my job situation is decent and I have my chance of a decent career here. Once I'm experienced, who knows as my job too pays $20k more in Brissie!

Thanks ...

Originally Posted by stumpysean
may i ask why? (sorry for interrupting your post!)

its just that we're debating whether to move to the Gold Coast or To Brisbane. I'm going to do Hairdressing on a student visa and can't decide where to do it though. Initially the concensus was definately the Gold Coast, now I seem to get the impresssion that things aren't quite so good as people are making out?

What you need to think (for now) is what's best for your course and chances of PR. The rest can fall into place once you have it!

I've said to you already that the Gold Coast campus is better. I've done the course you're about to start, and I've been to the Brissie campus too.

At the end of the day PR from either campus is a possibility, but if I had to do again I know where I'd go! ...

Good luck with all! ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.