Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:34 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future
Default Re: Admin jobs - Gold Coast Vs Brisbane?

Hello everyone,

Sorry about crashing the thread. I'm moving to Gold Coast in 3 months, and have been working in the finance/ corporate sector. Most job sites I've checked out show that it's predominantly tourist/ healthcare work around the area. Really worrying me! Plus I just read some posts on long working hours, which I'd been hoping to escape from.

Janice
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:47 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janicebks
Hello everyone,

Sorry about crashing the thread. I'm moving to Gold Coast in 3 months, and have been working in the finance/ corporate sector. Most job sites I've checked out show that it's predominantly tourist/ healthcare work around the area. Really worrying me! Plus I just read some posts on long working hours, which I'd been hoping to escape from.

Janice
Well you might be lucky, but OH has heaps of admin exp and is just fed up now with banging her head on the wall trying to find a half decent job, let alone the 'Gold Coast wages' ...

The thing is there seems to be a shortage of this kind of work here and every job advertised seems to attract a trillion applicants for it!

She's been told that Brissie would be more suitable for her skills, so we'll give it a go and see.

Go to www.seek.com.au and do a search for say admin in the Gold Coast, and then search Brisbane ...
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:42 am
Just Joined

beanz is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about trying Property Management in Real Estate? I did a few searches and they seem to be in demand down there, pays around $45,000 - $50,000 on the Gold Coast. It does'nt take much to get your certificate of registration, I did it by correspondence. If you apply for a administration position in Real Estate and waffle on about how you'd love to be a Property Manager and have commenced study for your certificate it could be a way in and give you an advantage over other applicants.

It can be a stressful job though, but if you get the right agency its okay.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree there are more jobs in Brisbane overall. I may have to consider moving further up that way.

I can relate very much to how your OH is feeling, it's making me feel abit that way too. I have never been out of work unless I have wanted to be and I have never had to work so hard at getting a job before.

I have 4 friend who have also recently moved to the GC (but from NZ) all administrators, they have all found it as difficult.

I wish your OH well in the job search, and fingers crossed we both can get something soon.

Mandy
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:40 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Uh-oh... that sounds really discouraging! I've been checking up on surveys from www.hays.com.au for typical salary packages, and the results seem a lot more optiistic than what you've all been through!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Moons ago when I came out on a year's working holiday visa, I could not get admin work on the Gold Coast, even as a temp! This was despite having worked for one of the Big 4 in London and a national newspaper.

I moved to Brisbane and the first agency I applied to I was placed on a job before walking out the door! Things have changed a bit since then (1994!) but Brisbane has all the corporates so its natural the work will be up here. GC is mainly hospitality given that commercially tourism is where it's at.

Oh, and if you're a plastic surgeon, hooker, drug dealer or hit man you'll do a storming trade on GC too.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by beanz
Have you thought about trying Property Management in Real Estate? I did a few searches and they seem to be in demand down there, pays around $45,000 - $50,000 on the Gold Coast. It does'nt take much to get your certificate of registration, I did it by correspondence. If you apply for a administration position in Real Estate and waffle on about how you'd love to be a Property Manager and have commenced study for your certificate it could be a way in and give you an advantage over other applicants.

It can be a stressful job though, but if you get the right agency its okay.
My daughter has been working as a receptionist in real estate and took her licence recently. She's just left her current job as they basically took the piss and expected her to work past her finishing time EVERY day for nothing!

She's done the letting as well as sales part of the licence, but is now wondering if she even wants to work in the field as it's quiet as hell at the mo, and people we know in the field aint making any money now!!

Ok, will prob pick up, but she's gonna sommit else for a while I think.

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
I agree there are more jobs in Brisbane overall. I may have to consider moving further up that way.

I can relate very much to how your OH is feeling, it's making me feel abit that way too. I have never been out of work unless I have wanted to be and I have never had to work so hard at getting a job before.

I have 4 friend who have also recently moved to the GC (but from NZ) all administrators, they have all found it as difficult.

I wish your OH well in the job search, and fingers crossed we both can get something soon.

Mandy
Yeah the GC pay is crap, but there's just no admin work here! Like yourself the OH has NEVER had sooo many problems finding a decent job.

Once it was not being a PR, then it was the 20 hour pw restriction we had, but now we don't have any of them issues, but STILL can't find anything suitable!

Brissie is def the answer. We've just returned form there and grabbed the local paper to look for jobs, but as you know Seek has heaps of jobs on it.

The GC isn't holding much for us now apart from my job, so I think within a year we'll be in Brissie.

We'll see!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rabsody
Oh, and if you're a plastic surgeon, hooker, drug dealer or hit man you'll do a storming trade on GC too.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH works southside of Brisbane and we had been considering moving that was as an option anyway.

Downside is our son has settled in school now (year 9).

Family living in Brisbane cannot understand why I haven't got a job yet, I suppose they relate to how many vacancies are in their area and do not understand what it is like down here.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

Brisbane is the capital city of Qld so it stands to reason that it will have the most jobs on offer. The GC is predominantly a tourist destination with most work on offer being in hospitality or trades.

The pays are higher in Brisbane due to its status as the capital and the major business hub for SE Qld, probably all Qld actually.

I really dont think there would be too much trouble securing a job in the Admin field as there are heaps of jobs available and they are crying out for temps in this area as well. I secured the first job I applied for in the Govt. sector and Im a 'mature age' worker.

Good luck to all.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
My OH works southside of Brisbane and we had been considering moving that was as an option anyway.

Downside is our son has settled in school now (year 9).

Family living in Brisbane cannot understand why I haven't got a job yet, I suppose they relate to how many vacancies are in their area and do not understand what it is like down here.
We just don't feel the GC is offering us much these days. We don't go to the theme parks even tho the main bunch are less than 10 mins away. We don't go to Surfers. We don't even go to the beach much, altho I'd like to!

The kids have left school and my daughter will prob stay down here with her boyfriend or mates. The son will enjoy Brissie as he loves skateboarding and often goes to Brissie to skate.

Throw into it all work prospects and it's just sooooo looking like the thing to do now.

For now Nic will just commute to Brissie and look for work in the south side for obv reasons, but if she has to go into the CBD then so be it! If she can secure a decent enough job, then we'll prob move there I reckon. I'll commute back to the Goldie until I'm experienced in my field and then see where I go from there.

She's gonna get onto the agencies asap and apply for a load of jobs on seek, see where we go from there I guess.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by imanaussie
Brisbane is the capital city of Qld so it stands to reason that it will have the most jobs on offer. The GC is predominantly a tourist destination with most work on offer being in hospitality or trades.

The pays are higher in Brisbane due to its status as the capital and the major business hub for SE Qld, probably all Qld actually.

I really dont think there would be too much trouble securing a job in the Admin field as there are heaps of jobs available and they are crying out for temps in this area as well. I secured the first job I applied for in the Govt. sector and Im a 'mature age' worker.

Good luck to all.
Keeps sounding good! ...
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:16 am
Hopeful Idealist

Hmm... I actually love Brissy and *prefer* to live there. Have two besties there and been a city girl all my life after all. But the OH insists staying put in GC. Something about no surf. Ughhhh.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by janicebks
Hmm... I actually love Brissy and *prefer* to live there. Have two besties there and been a city girl all my life after all. But the OH insists staying put in GC. Something about no surf. Ughhhh.
But the surfs only an hour away!

Could be closer, but only an hour to the Goldie if you're the right side of Brissie.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imanaussie
I really dont think there would be too much trouble securing a job in the Admin field as there are heaps of jobs available and they are crying out for temps in this area as well.
Good luck to all.
I agree - I was employed the first day I arrived in Brisbane for a job I'd applied for before I got there. I quit after about six months because I wanted to spend more time with the constant visitors we had coming over. So I went temping and could pick and choose jobs - could have worked constantly if I'd wanted to. Even after I left the Agency when I had my first baby, they were still phoning me asking me to come back as someone I'd temped for wanted me back again. Temping in Brisbane is really good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.