Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaides strange time difference

Adelaides strange time difference

Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:36 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Adelaides strange time difference

Just thought I'd warn any other would be inter-state travelers that are going to Adelaide. There is a 30 minutes time difference between them and the other states (Well NSW,Vic and QLD at least). At first I just thought my watch was fast or the town clocks set wrong, because never in my wildest dreams did I think there was an actual 30 minutes difference on purpose. I didn't know it was possible to have GMT zones in half hour increments.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all
Default Re: Adelaides strange time difference

well it is Australia mate strange ideas they have
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It is not the only place in the world to have a time zone that is half an hour in front or behind it's neighbour. Iran and Iraq are half hour different.

Here's a full list just for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zones
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:16 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by WendyC
It is not the only place in the world to have a time zone that is half an hour in front or behind it's neighbour. Iran and Iraq are half hour different.

Here's a full list just for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zones

And not that much differance, Iran, Iraq & adelaide.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:19 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
Just thought I'd warn any other would be inter-state travelers that are going to Adelaide. There is a 30 minutes time difference between them and the other states (Well NSW,Vic and QLD at least). At first I just thought my watch was fast or the town clocks set wrong, because never in my wildest dreams did I think there was an actual 30 minutes difference on purpose. I didn't know it was possible to have GMT zones in half hour increments.
The NT also has a half hour time zone. So in the winter it's the same time as SA but in the Summer SA has daylight savings time and NT doesn't.

Excluding the overseas territories there are effectively 6 time zones in Aus (the 6th one is because Tasmania has a different daylight savings schedule to the other states that have daylight savings).

It does seem overly complicated - but then again it's a big place.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Well - a few years ago I was working in Indianapolis. Turns out that half the state changes their clocks for winter - the other half doesn't!

Makes SA's (and NT) 1/2 hour time difference seem immaterial!
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marco121068
Well - a few years ago I was working in Indianapolis. Turns out that half the state changes their clocks for winter - the other half doesn't!

Makes SA's (and NT) 1/2 hour time difference seem immaterial!

Thats to confuse people and get them to visit

Once they do..........................
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy

No there's way more action in Iran and Iraq than there is here
Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:52 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
No there's way more action in Iran and Iraq than there is here
I thought it was well strange, It took me 2 days to realise, I just thought the town clock was wrong to start with and the penny only dropped after I missed a bus, Well not actually missed but arrived 40 minutes early!
Old Aug 26th 2006, 11:11 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
WE do that just to confuse the "Mexicans" in your case it has worked.......... mm
Old Aug 26th 2006, 11:39 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by mr mover
WE do that just to confuse the "Mexicans" in your case it has worked.......... mm
Well time to end a boring thread, just wanted to inform any other SA tourists.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 11:43 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mr mover
Its not hard to confuse me.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:05 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon

Western Australia is two hours behind the eastern states, and just to confuse everyone a bit more, Queensland will be shortly going 1 hour further behind everyone else on the eastern seaboard, with the introduction of daylight saving for all states except Queensland. Business might suffer but at least the Qld cows won't be worried.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:30 pm
The Godfather

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Business might suffer but at least the Qld cows won't be worried.
Is that the Brissie girls night out ???????

Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:55 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

It was in the news this week that the "south east states" are almost certainly going to align their time zones soon.

PS Has anyone done the joke about Adelaide's time difference yet? 30 years behind the rest of Australia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.