Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide... whats it like??

Adelaide... whats it like??

Old Apr 4th 2005, 12:47 pm
JME

Juanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant future
Default Adelaide... whats it like??

Hi there,
Is there anyone out there who can offer any kind of advice regarding Adelaide. I've accepted a post at the University of Adelaide and I'm due to move out there in July with my partner. Are any of you ex-pats currently out there at the moment? I'm in Leeds at the moment - and would love to hear from anyone who has made the move there.
I'd really appreciate any frank assessments of the place. I've come across a few sites/posts that don't exactly paint a thrilling picture of the place. Typically saying that its a city in decline, its not a very exciting/interesting place etc. One of our major concerns is that my partner wont be able to find work out there - he's in IT (web design). Another issue is housing - any advice on decent places to live (we don't have kids and would prefer to avoid living miles away from the city centre in obscure suburbs)
umm thats all all I can think of for now...

Juanita
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide... whats it like??

Hello Juanita,

Check out this site for all things Adelaide.....

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:54 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Also do a search of the forums here, there have been several threads about Adelaide recently with loads of info
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:04 pm
JME

Juanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant futureJuanita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix
Hello Juanita,

Check out this site for all things Adelaide.....

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx

thanks for the advice - and spotting me on the other site! A scarey bunch are they? Hopefully I'll get some hints tips from them!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 6:43 pm
aussie73

Originally Posted by Juanita
Hi there,
Is there anyone out there who can offer any kind of advice regarding Adelaide. I've accepted a post at the University of Adelaide and I'm due to move out there in July with my partner. Are any of you ex-pats currently out there at the moment? I'm in Leeds at the moment - and would love to hear from anyone who has made the move there.
I'd really appreciate any frank assessments of the place. I've come across a few sites/posts that don't exactly paint a thrilling picture of the place. Typically saying that its a city in decline, its not a very exciting/interesting place etc. One of our major concerns is that my partner wont be able to find work out there - he's in IT (web design). Another issue is housing - any advice on decent places to live (we don't have kids and would prefer to avoid living miles away from the city centre in obscure suburbs)
umm thats all all I can think of for now...

Juanita
One of Oz's small cities, population 1 million, Often described as having a laid back relaxed atmosphere, like a large country town compared to Sydney or Melbourne. Scenic, surrounded by hills and the river torrens flowing through it, the city is surrounded by miles of Parklands, more then any other OZ city.
Has some nice beaches, but no waves for surfing. Has the oldest population in OZ and economy not as strong as the eastern states. Some people find it to be a boring conservative but nice place. Has a Mediterainian climate with mild winters and warm summers. The best places to live near the city are North Adelaide or the inner eastern Suburbs such as Norwood or St Peters and surrounding suburbs, But because they are the nicest suburbs they are also some of the most expensive, but renting there would probably seem cheap compared to the Uk or even Sydney or Melbourne.

Last edited by aussie73; Apr 4th 2005 at 6:53 pm.