Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide v's Perth

Adelaide v's Perth

Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:50 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Adelaide v's Perth

Well after visiting Adelaide for a week on route back to the Uk I can say with absolute honesty that I wondered why we ever bother going to Perth when Adelaide was sooooooooo much better.

PodgyPossum was right, it is lovely. There are loads of pups, 'real' pavements to walk on, a city large enough to do in more than an hour, cheaper food/clothes and wonderful old houses with real character, not masses of new suburbs with identical houses.

I thought it was lovely, it had an English feel (good or bad?) I couldn't live there though as my reasons for returning are homesickness and I'd get that anywhere I was I'am sure? The place was buzzing, shops were open longer than 5pm and there was life on the streets after 8pm. I've seen people write that it's boring and full of churches ( although not sure what thats got to do with things?) well then they must be the ones that have never lived in Perth for longer than two weeks.

Adelaide OK...Perth sucks compared. Sorry Perth, but its a thumbs down to you!! (Zebra, it had to be said!!!) lol
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:16 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide v's Perth

Originally posted by janeyray
Well after visiting Adelaide for a week on route back to the Uk I can say with absolute honesty that I wondered why we ever bother going to Perth when Adelaide was sooooooooo much better.

PodgyPossum was right, it is lovely. There are loads of pups, 'real' pavements to walk on, a city large enough to do in more than an hour, cheaper food/clothes and wonderful old houses with real character, not masses of new suburbs with identical houses.

I thought it was lovely, it had an English feel (good or bad?) I couldn't live there though as my reasons for returning are homesickness and I'd get that anywhere I was I'am sure? The place was buzzing, shops were open longer than 5pm and there was life on the streets after 8pm. I've seen people write that it's boring and full of churches ( although not sure what thats got to do with things?) well then they must be the ones that have never lived in Perth for longer than two weeks.

Adelaide OK...Perth sucks compared. Sorry Perth, but its a thumbs down to you!! (Zebra, it had to be said!!!) lol
We tried to tell you in Adelaide you can live, the rest of the country you exist..................... MM
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:56 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt you also visit sydney on your way back to the UK ?

What was your impression there compared to adelaide and perth ?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Well thankyou for that Janey...maybe i'm not a rose tinted bullsh*tter after all

Shame we didn't meet up, i could have shown you the wonderful beaches south east of Adelaide too. Good luck with your new life back in blighty.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see you Podgypossum,

Whisky
Old Jun 13th 2004, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Thanx Whisky

I like to read how the "oldies" are getting on and i am very pleased to hear you guys are doing well.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 6:01 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Thanx Whisky

I like to read how the "oldies" are getting on and i am very pleased to hear you guys are doing well.
Hi PP,

Still sending people your way but haven't received my commission cheque yet

How are things ?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello Bix..i'm doing great thanx...

Sooo..its YOU getting us all these new members is it??.. .. apparently i've heard i'm coming in here stealing people away from expats!! ...glad you've owned up..i'll sleep better at night now ...i hope you have made it quite clear that once you join up to our site a spell is cast and you can NEVER visit here again!! :scared: :scared:

Hows things in pastie land?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Helloooo Janeray! Just replied to you on other forum but will reply here too. We loved Adelaide too and our move was a toss-up between Adelaide and Melbourne (had to be one or the other really as my sister lives equi-distant from both and half the point of going to Australia was to be near her). We spent a fair bit of time in Adelaide but the job situation didn't look great for us so we headed for Melbourne. Well, the rest is history, as you know! But before the bub came along, we said we would leave Melbourne and move to Adelaide. It's such a spacious city and the Adelaide Hills are gorgeous. Saying that, I think the summer heat would have been bad for us (him in particular)...the irony being that the heat would have been too intense for our outdoor lifestyle (tons of cycling/road racing). But it is a lovely city, from what I've seen.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 10:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by podgypossum
Hello Bix..i'm doing great thanx...

Sooo..its YOU getting us all these new members is it??.. .. apparently i've heard i'm coming in here stealing people away from expats!! ...glad you've owned up..i'll sleep better at night now ...i hope you have made it quite clear that once you join up to our site a spell is cast and you can NEVER visit here again!! :scared: :scared:

Hows things in pastie land?
No, it should not be looked at as a matter of stealing. If there is a site more suitable to them we should point them in the right direction. I am sure they still look here for visa and general stuff anyway. I do however tell them the site comes with a health warning :scared:

I may pop in myself one night just to say hello but your spell will be no good as I am already under the hypnotic influence of Pants .......but that may wear off soon as she has been "abused" off the site by d*ckhead remarks

Things are good in pastyland thanks. Doing a lot of redecorating

Thinking it's about time to apply for a visa
Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Would love you to drop in sometime Bix... but you might find it a bit tame as we treat each other with respect..
Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:57 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Nice to see Adelaide getting some good press

Can't wait to get there, September doesn't seem so far away now!!

Have been a bit quiet lately (yes ok, not like me at all) as I've been busy clearing the house ready for its new owners. Just signed the contract, should exchange in the next couple of days, completion set for 30 June. Staying with my mum for the next 2 months, off to book the flights as soon as I get all that lovely dosh.

:scared:

No going back now!

I've just realised why people at work keep telling me I'm really brave.... the reality and enormity of what I'm doing has just kicked in, I was too busy getting everything sorted to step back and really think about it before now.

Just started to get the butterflies in the tummy, no second thoughts or anything though.

Adelaide, here I come!!!!

Elaine M
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:24 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Didnt you also visit sydney on your way back to the UK ?

What was your impression there compared to adelaide and perth ?
I thought Sydney was .... Loud, dirty, busy, and everyone was in a hurry, well compared to Perth anyway!

Hubby did the bridge climb which he thought was great, and we did the usual tourist things. The Opera House looks in need of a clean, I always thought it was white not creamy coloured?

It was nice to visit for a holiday but five days was enough for me. I'am sure like anywhere it does have it's quieter parts but the city was manic. I also took my daughter to Luna Park (while hubby did the bridge) and it cost $25 and another $20 for me as they said that was the best deal. There were hardly any rides and I felt ripped off, our daughter had a great time though so thats whats counts!!!?
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:29 pm
home again, home again

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

the Adelaide Hills are gorgeous.
We went up to Mount Lofty, that was lovely but it was bitterly cold! Hard to imagine that in the summer it's baking. I loved the seaside suburb of Glenelg (can't remember if thats how its spelt?) I thought it was really nice there, busy and bustling like a 'real' seaside place. Lots of life and it had a nice feel. Also went to the german village in the hills (cant remember its name!?) that was lovely too.

Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hahndorf is the German village Janey..one of my favourite places. Love brwosing the little antique shops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.