Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide vs Christchurch

Adelaide vs Christchurch

Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:19 pm
Born to run

d1eng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adelaide vs Christchurch

Having started the process of applying to move to Christchurch in New Zealand we have been informed today that South Australia are awarding an extra 10 points for applicants applying under the temp skilled independent regional migration, which now means that we would qualify.

Has anyone got any advice or experiences that they could share regarding this as we are now uncertain as to what to do. We are a family of 5 (with 2 girls and a cocker spaniel).

Having initially been knocked back for a move to Perth because of insufficient points we are now uncertain!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:32 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide vs Christchurch

Originally Posted by d1eng
Having started the process of applying to move to Christchurch in New Zealand we have been informed today that South Australia are awarding an extra 10 points for applicants applying under the temp skilled independent regional migration, which now means that we would qualify.

Has anyone got any advice or experiences that they could share regarding this as we are now uncertain as to what to do. We are a family of 5 (with 2 girls and a cocker spaniel).

Having initially been knocked back for a move to Perth because of insufficient points we are now uncertain!
I have lived in both cities. Personally I would chose Adelaide, it's a great place in my opinon. Christchurch is okay if you avoid living in the inner city and eastern suburbs. Seems to be getting more violent of late to from all reports (I have family that still live there).
I'd also rather live in Adelaide or Christchurch than Perth anyday.
Have you considered other parts of OZ/NZ?
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:35 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about regional South Aus. You would need to make further inquiries about what areas they have listed on this scheme and research the areas a bit.. Some might be okay, some could be not what you are looking for.

Good Luck
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:00 am
Born to run

d1eng is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks kiwichild. a couple of things are puttin us off Adelaide. firstly the heat in the summer and secondly the tedious process of actually getting a visa, and that would be only temporary for 2 years.

As for Nz, I think we like the look of Chch and most people seem to like living there. Obviously crime is a concern, but it can't be half as bad as the uk at the moment. From a climate and job prospects point of view the north island seems to be attractive but for some reason I keep getting attracted back to Chch as it seems to have a lot going for it and the house prices are reasonable !

If you could add any more info to this I would appreciate it.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Paul the spark is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by d1eng

Sorry I can't help with any comparisons but the Adelaidebrits web site is worth a look. The FAQs section has lots of info.

Jo