43.33%
Adelaide
56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Adelaide V Perth

Old Jun 19th 2003, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Perth to be a very beautiful small city with a great location there on the Swan with that small cluster of little sky scrapers. I was also impressed with Freemantle as I like the Mediterranean way of life. However, like many others I felt that its isolation would drive me up the wall after a while. It would be a bit like living on an island. One of my best friends at work is from the Seychelles and everyone says - why the hell would you want to live in the UK etc etc. But the thing is after a while you need a bit more than beaches and palm trees. I would say that on balance there is more going on in and around Adelaide and more variety of landscapes - for example there are more museums, galleries, quaint oldish towns and more accessible resorts close by like Victor Harbour, Kangaroo Island and you could drive over to Melborne if you fancied a change of city life and there is much more going on there. Adelaide has a very English feel to it (or at least how England was about thirty years ago) but I would say the weather is quite definitely not English That's just my impression for what it's worth - I am off to Adelaide on 1 August.

E
Old Jun 20th 2003, 3:25 am

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by grubelice
I thought Perth to be a very beautiful small city with a great location there on the Swan with that small cluster of little sky scrapers. I was also impressed with Freemantle as I like the Mediterranean way of life. However, like many others I felt that its isolation would drive me up the wall after a while. It would be a bit like living on an island. One of my best friends at work is from the Seychelles and everyone says - why the hell would you want to live in the UK etc etc. But the thing is after a while you need a bit more than beaches and palm trees. I would say that on balance there is more going on in and around Adelaide and more variety of landscapes - for example there are more museums, galleries, quaint oldish towns and more accessible resorts close by like Victor Harbour, Kangaroo Island and you could drive over to Melborne if you fancied a change of city life and there is much more going on there. Adelaide has a very English feel to it (or at least how England was about thirty years ago) but I would say the weather is quite definitely not English That's just my impression for what it's worth - I am off to Adelaide on 1 August.

E
Addy winnining the vote, anymore got any to say ?

cheers

kev

p.s looks like im off to addy then
Old Jun 20th 2003, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point

PERTH

Mainly cos my Missus was born there, but also I understand the heat in summer is a dry rather than humid heat and a few of the family are asthmatic and humidity tends to be a bit of a bugger when you've got asthma!! Mind you, I can't say I know what the humidity is like in Addie
Old Jun 20th 2003, 6:28 am

Default or is this post now dead ?

Originally posted by PHIZA
PERTH

Mainly cos my Missus was born there, but also I understand the heat in summer is a dry rather than humid heat and a few of the family are asthmatic and humidity tends to be a bit of a bugger when you've got asthma!! Mind you, I can't say I know what the humidity is like in Addie

anymore for anymore ?

or is this post now dead ?

cheers

kev
Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

HeatherS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: or is this post now dead ?

Hi Kev,

It's Adelaide for us! Mainly climate - hot summers but not too hot , Perth is a bit more extreme temperature wise, less rain in SA.

The diversity of landscapes is a big pull too; from beaches to hills to vineyards & valleys then on to outback. Can't wait to go!

Also being practical SA have state nomination (couldnt go without it) and meet n greet with the well cheap accommodation to start you off. What more could you ask for?

We're visiting friends in Perth first before going on to Adelaide in September so we'll get a taste of both places & see if our instincts are right

Heather & Chris
Old Jun 20th 2003, 8:41 am

Originally posted by HeatherS
Hi Kev,

It's Adelaide for us! Mainly climate - hot summers but not too hot , Perth is a bit more extreme temperature wise, less rain in SA.

The diversity of landscapes is a big pull too; from beaches to hills to vineyards & valleys then on to outback. Can't wait to go!

Also being practical SA have state nomination (couldnt go without it) and meet n greet with the well cheap accommodation to start you off. What more could you ask for?

We're visiting friends in Perth first before going on to Adelaide in September so we'll get a taste of both places & see if our instincts are right

Heather & Chris

hi heather,

thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated.

ive heard about the meet and greet procedure in SA, how cheap and what do you have to do to get it ?

reply by pm if its easier.

thanks

kev
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:06 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HeatherS
Hi Kev,

Heather & Chris
adelaide gets longer periods of heat than perth ,this can wear you down , especially when its 32degc at midnight ,and there,s a power failure due excessive use of air .cons , remember ,you are coming to the dryest state, on the dryest continent ,on earth...... MM
Old Jun 20th 2003, 6:36 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Wilf
You are backpacking round on government money earned on 3 month contracts, buying steak and chips for one, and living out of the back of a camper van, and you are giving advice about Oz to people with families to keep and proper jobs to get?

Anyone who listens to your student backpacker trash is an idiot.
Why can't you just stop insulting people, everybody has a view.

Give us your opinion on the post not on the poster.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 6:50 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Adelaide for us too. We did a lot of research and found Adelaide to be the best state for our jobs and the business we intend to open. Schools seem very good with loads to entertain the kids. It's in the driest state, so not as much rain as everyone else. Also, it has the most consistant weather.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/
Old Jun 21st 2003, 12:35 am

Default Adelaide seems to have won then:)

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Adelaide for us too. We did a lot of research and found Adelaide to be the best state for our jobs and the business we intend to open. Schools seem very good with loads to entertain the kids. It's in the driest state, so not as much rain as everyone else. Also, it has the most consistant weather.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/

Adelaide seems to have won then

thanks for all your input.

much appreciated

kev