Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Sunshine Coast ?

Adelaide or Sunshine Coast ?

Old Mar 16th 2016, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Phil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the rough
Default Adelaide or Sunshine Coast ?

Hi All,

looking to move to either Adelaide or Sunshine Coast and would be interested in what people think of both places.

What we are looking for is a small nice community that has a good university and reasonable cost of living and rentals.

Work wise I currently work in IT support so would like a similar line of work if poss, my wife can work from home and has work administrating a large website so no problem where she is but my daughter will need to access a university for a couple of years.

We have looked as best we can online and the forum but would like to know as much as possible before committing so any experiences of both would be great.

We really like the look of the Sunshine Coast area but maybe Adelaide has better prospects for us as a family, I know its a gamble where ever you end up but just good to have inside information.

Regards
Phil
Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:08 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide or Sunshine Coast ?

Originally Posted by Phil K
Hi All,

looking to move to either Adelaide or Sunshine Coast and would be interested in what people think of both places.

What we are looking for is a small nice community that has a good university and reasonable cost of living and rentals.

Work wise I currently work in IT support so would like a similar line of work if poss, my wife can work from home and has work administrating a large website so no problem where she is but my daughter will need to access a university for a couple of years.

We have looked as best we can online and the forum but would like to know as much as possible before committing so any experiences of both would be great.

We really like the look of the Sunshine Coast area but maybe Adelaide has better prospects for us as a family, I know its a gamble where ever you end up but just good to have inside information.

Regards
Phil
Hi Phil

We live in Adelaide so can only comment about that.

Adelaide has a choice of universities - Flinders, UniSA, University of Adelaide covering a huge range of subjects.

Adelaide certainly has a small town feel. It is relatively quiet and even though we are in the southern foothills, we are still only 25 mins from the CBD.

I'm not sure of job prospects, I would suggest looking on Seek and other job websites. Also worth signing up to the uni websites for jobs too as they often have IT jobs coming up.

Just be aware, re working from home. Quite a few areas suffer from a poor internet service. The NBN is being rolled out slowly, but there is no rhyme or reason as to which areas they choose to do. Some suburbs close to the CBD, don't have ADSL or cable so the likelihood of them getting NBN is quite low. Our own suburb has a notoriously full exchange. We couldn't get ADSL when we moved here, so we now have a WDSL service. Our previous house had ADSL, but it was so far from the exchange we struggled to get over 1mb in speeds.

Cost of living is relative. You will find some areas relatively affordable, and some areas quite pricey. Basically, the eastern suburbs, western suburbs close to the city and North Adelaide tend to command the higher prices. Wages are generally lower here. realestate.com.au will give you an indication on renting costs and there are suburb profiles so you can find out about different areas.

Let me know if I can help any further.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I would take a punt that Adelaide is going to suit you better, based mainly on job availability. It would still be well behind Melbourne say, but I cannot imagine there would be too much demand on the Sunshine Coast at all.

I think there is where you need to focus your research though, on job availability followed by university offerings. Both places will have nice communities and I do not think there will be any marked difference in cost of living between these two locations.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:14 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Availability of the NBN can be checked here - Check rollout map | nbn - Australia's new broadband network

We're north of Adelaide but can still get across the city and to Rasen's house in around 1hr15 (but this side of the city we have the NBN )
Old Mar 16th 2016, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Regards
Phil
Another option, if you want quiet but need access to uni's and and city IT jobs as a backup, you could move to quiet areas in Brisbane and still have access to the sunshine coast for the weekend.

For example you can be in a 4 bedroom home that has a back gate directly onto the bayside beach situated on the quiet Redcliffe Peninsula for $650. It has a nice community feel according to friends:

1 Osbourne Street Scarborough Qld 4020 - House for Rent #418004734 - realestate.com.au

Or alternatively for $650 you could live in a retreat style home on 2 acres in the lovely Samford Valley but still be only be a 15 minute drive from the train that gets you into the city/universities in 30 minutes during peak hour:

Draper address available on request - House for Rent #417809774 - realestate.com.au

Of course you can go cheaper than these examples as well.

Last edited by fish.01; Mar 16th 2016 at 3:06 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Phil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the roughPhil K is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rasen78
Hi Phil

We live in Adelaide so can only comment about that.

Adelaide has a choice of universities - Flinders, UniSA, University of Adelaide covering a huge range of subjects.

Adelaide certainly has a small town feel. It is relatively quiet and even though we are in the southern foothills, we are still only 25 mins from the CBD.

I'm not sure of job prospects, I would suggest looking on Seek and other job websites. Also worth signing up to the uni websites for jobs too as they often have IT jobs coming up.

Just be aware, re working from home. Quite a few areas suffer from a poor internet service. The NBN is being rolled out slowly, but there is no rhyme or reason as to which areas they choose to do. Some suburbs close to the CBD, don't have ADSL or cable so the likelihood of them getting NBN is quite low. Our own suburb has a notoriously full exchange. We couldn't get ADSL when we moved here, so we now have a WDSL service. Our previous house had ADSL, but it was so far from the exchange we struggled to get over 1mb in speeds.

Cost of living is relative. You will find some areas relatively affordable, and some areas quite pricey. Basically, the eastern suburbs, western suburbs close to the city and North Adelaide tend to command the higher prices. Wages are generally lower here. realestate.com.au will give you an indication on renting costs and there are suburb profiles so you can find out about different areas.

Let me know if I can help any further.
Wonderful information Rasen, Thank You and as you say Internet access speed is a big consideration where ever we are. Also thanks for the tip on uni websites.

Been looking on Seek but was told than many jobs from small businesses are not advertised and only appear through local agents / papers etc.

Had a look at Port Noarlunga area as it seems to be quit nice with all you need very near, we have 3 dogs coming over so I know we cant be to fussy and it may be difficult to get a rental even though our dogs are immaculate kept and rarely bark.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would take a punt that Adelaide is going to suit you better, based mainly on job availability. It would still be well behind Melbourne say, but I cannot imagine there would be too much demand on the Sunshine Coast at all.

I think there is where you need to focus your research though, on job availability followed by university offerings. Both places will have nice communities and I do not think there will be any marked difference in cost of living between these two locations.
Thank You, There are quite a few IT support jobs in Sunshine Coast & also Adelaide but started looking at the details on them and uni courses for my daughter.

I see that both Adelaide and Sunshine Coast have nice community's, I guess the other factor is the weather is very different between the two and looking on google both seem very green and nice looking.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Availability of the NBN can be checked here - Check rollout map | nbn - Australia's new broadband network

We're north of Adelaide but can still get across the city and to Rasen's house in around 1hr15 (but this side of the city we have the NBN )
HaHa did you meet through the forum? its really nice to have friends near like that. and many thanks for the link for New Broadband which I guess is Fibre.

Originally Posted by fish.01
Another option, if you want quiet but need access to uni's and and city IT jobs as a backup, you could move to quiet areas in Brisbane and still have access to the sunshine coast for the weekend.
Yes not looked at the other Brisbane area's like Redcliff which is a great idea and worth looking into but the prob cant afford $650 a week for a while although thank you for the lovely pics.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 10:43 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

....HaHa did you meet through the forum? its really nice to have friends near like that. and many thanks for the link for New Broadband which I guess is Fibre....
Yes, we did meet through the forum

Our connection to the NBN is fibre - had it put in 2 weeks ago and it's about 4 times faster than our old connection (now all I need is a faster laptop )
Old Mar 17th 2016, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

From the Sunshine Coast...

Don't come here unless you already have a job. 300+ people applying for many positions.

Be absolutely sure that you have good internet. Many areas have no more ADSL ports available. Our house has Telstra Velocity fiber system, but this is now terrible as there are too many new houses being installed on the same exchange.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:28 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Also, depending on what your daughter wishes to study the Uni of Sunshine Coast is a mixed bag. The graduates from that Uni struggle and often fail in my work area (science) unlike the graduates from UQ/QUT that intern and work here. I can't comment on other disciplines. I also can't comment on Adelaide Universities.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Pardon me butting in. Have I missed something? Are you both OZ citizens? If not you'll need a visa to move and that's not the easiest thing to accomplish I gather. Feel free to tell me to b****r off if that hurdle has already been cleared. I'm known for not seeing the salient points sometimes.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You, There are quite a few IT support jobs in Sunshine Coast & also Adelaide but started looking at the details on them and uni courses for my daughter.

I am surprised that you have found quite a few IT support jobs on the Sunshine Coast! This is a sleepy area, many jobs would be connected to tourism, not many businesses likely to base themselves there. A lot of people do pluck the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast out as somewhere to live as they do sound nice, but they also have high unemployment.

Looking on SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site there are only 9 jobs in IT support being advertised, versus 539 in Sydney, 260 in Melbourne, 150 in Brisbane and also only 39 in Adelaide. I really would prioritise work above all else when deciding where to settle.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 4:33 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised that you have found quite a few IT support jobs on the Sunshine Coast! This is a sleepy area, many jobs would be connected to tourism, not many businesses likely to base themselves there. A lot of people do pluck the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast out as somewhere to live as they do sound nice, but they also have high unemployment.

Looking on SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site there are only 9 jobs in IT support being advertised, versus 539 in Sydney, 260 in Melbourne, 150 in Brisbane and also only 39 in Adelaide. I really would prioritise work above all else when deciding where to settle.
The other thing about these types of jobs in the Gold and Sunny coasts is that there is massive demand for them from residents looking to cut out that commute to Brisbane. I certainly worked with people who traveled in from the GC and waited years to find a decent IT job on the coast...and even that probably involved a lot of compromising on role and dollars.
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

...Yes not looked at the other Brisbane area's like Redcliff which is a great idea and worth looking into but the prob cant afford $650 a week for a while although thank you for the lovely pics.
Plenty far cheaper than $650 btw...just no back gate onto the beach
Old Mar 18th 2016, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
From the Sunshine Coast...

Don't come here unless you already have a job. 300+ people applying for many positions.

Be absolutely sure that you have good internet. Many areas have no more ADSL ports available. Our house has Telstra Velocity fiber system, but this is now terrible as there are too many new houses being installed on the same exchange.
I take your point but I will not have any chance of getting a job until I am in Australia and can be available, I guess its down to experience, qualification & personality when it comes to who gets the work (or who you know). I have been checking the availability of broadband and can see it is limited, is there any 4G service?

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
Also, depending on what your daughter wishes to study the Uni of Sunshine Coast is a mixed bag. The graduates from that Uni struggle and often fail in my work area (science) unlike the graduates from UQ/QUT that intern and work here. I can't comment on other disciplines. I also can't comment on Adelaide Universities.

Best of luck.
Thank You, she is looking at health care as currently works part time as a care worker, what do you think the problem is with Sunshine Coast graduates? I think the Adelaide Uni's have a good standing from what I have read

Originally Posted by quiltman
Pardon me butting in. Have I missed something? Are you both OZ citizens? If not you'll need a visa to move and that's not the easiest thing to accomplish I gather. Feel free to tell me to b****r off if that hurdle has already been cleared. I'm known for not seeing the salient points sometimes.
Thanks' Quiltman but all sorted with PR visa's

9 jobs on seek but maybe others are available with local agents in an area, If I have to commute to Brisbane then don't mind give it a go as we could not afford Sydney or Melbourne at the min. also only 39 in Adelaide which seems much bigger (population of 1.3m) than Sunshine Coast 0.3m people so not sure how that works out.

Originally Posted by bcworld
The other thing about these types of jobs in the Gold and Sunny coasts is that there is massive demand for them from residents looking to cut out that commute to Brisbane. I certainly worked with people who traveled in from the GC and waited years to find a decent IT job on the coast...and even that probably involved a lot of compromising on role and dollars.
Its the same all over I guess but you cant expect the same $ if you are working local which I think many people will not be prepared to take a drop. I would be happy with a more casual local position even if it was for less money.

Originally Posted by fish.01
Plenty far cheaper than $650 btw...just no back gate onto the beach
Yes I don't mind the look of Redcliffe and its not far from Brisbane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.