Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide is suddenly the most attractive place in Australia!

Adelaide is suddenly the most attractive place in Australia!

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default Adelaide is suddenly the most attractive place in Australia!

A victim of the recent points rise, we applied to VIC for STNI. Unfortunately we were rejected so we have now turned our attentions to SA.

Now, we had pondered over this before as my husbands daughter lives there and so it was an obvious choice. However the thought of being less than 10,000 miles away from my husbands ex was chilling to the bone for both of us!

BUT, it seems fate is throwing us towards this particular flight-path! Ah, well que sera sera...

It has occurred to me however that Adelaide has recently become the peoples choice of destination on this forum. I see posts all the time asking about the delights of Adelaide as though we are all trying to convince ourselves that living in Adelaide will be better than not living in Australia!

Am I right or am I just supersensitive to it? Previous to this it seemed we were mostly bleating on about SE Queensland for the primary choice of location (to everyone's paranoia that there would be no space left for us!)?

So anyway I am now raising my glass (hic!) to the thought of becoming a SA resident, with a closer link to our daughter, it has to be the right decision doesn't it? Let's hope we get this one!!

Good luck to you all!

Sandy - not quite sozzled enough to make complete sense to myself...

PS Please leave Karma!!!
PPS It's a bit like feedback on ebay!!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:04 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide is suddenly the most attractive place in Australia!

Sandy,
I don't think the expats already in Adelaide would agree it's a poor mans Aus.
It is it's own distinctive part of the country with a hell of a lot going for it.

To me it seems more a case of it being less discovered than other parts but that makes it no worse.

Don't knock it until you investigate in depth.

..and of course I gotta recommend you check out their forum....

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

Good luck
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:08 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandy.l
A victim of the recent points rise, we applied to VIC for STNI. Unfortunately we were rejected so we have now turned our attentions to SA.
STNI should be your first option for SA, although SIR may be the fall-back option you have to take.

Be fully aware of the risks and issues with SIR as it's *not* a permanent visa.

Jeremy
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ooh no, you took me too seriously!! I wouldn't dream of calling SA a poor man's Aus. Daughter loves it, she's been there 6 years now. It just seems that suddenly everyone's talking about it!!

We hear great things about SA from daughter so we are looking forward to experiencing it, that and we would be on the doorstep of all the famous vineyards!!!

Sandy

Originally Posted by Bix
Sandy,
I don't think the expats already in Adelaide would agree it's a poor mans Aus.
It is it's own distinctive part of the country with a hell of a lot going for it.

To me it seems more a case of it being less discovered than other parts but that makes it no worse.

Don't knock it until you investigate in depth.

..and of course I gotta recommend you check out their forum....

http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

Good luck
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Jeremy, Thanks for that! We are looking at STNI primarily for SA, only problem is, Hubbies in IT so need a job offer. But, we have more chance now as his skills are now on the SOL, whereas before, it was just 'IT Professional'.

If this fails, we would need to seriously consider our options!!

Sandy

Originally Posted by JAJ
STNI should be your first option for SA, although SIR may be the fall-back option you have to take.

Be fully aware of the risks and issues with SIR as it's *not* a permanent visa.

Jeremy
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandy.l
Ooh no, you took me too seriously!!
Sandy
Sandy,
I think you are the first person to ever acuse me of that

Sorry, I could have selected my words better.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Maybe I took you too seriously??? The plot thickens! My head certainly does with all this delicious red wine. A Tuesday night as well! Disgraceful! But it is the kids summer hols so I have the perfect excuse!

Sandy

Originally Posted by Bix
Sandy,
I think you are the first person to ever acuse me of that

Sorry, I could have selected my words better.