Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide Suburbs

Adelaide Suburbs

Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:04 am
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future
Default Adelaide Suburbs

A number of people mention Hallett Cove as a good suburb to live for migrants...it is lauded on a number of forums...we had heard some bad things about it and glad we avoided...see attached. Please make informed decisions when migrating. This included "gangs" such as Elite Hallett Cove, which was involved in a street brawl with police last weekend after its members gatecrashed a party at Seacliff.

Members of Elite Hallett Cove yesterday told The Advertiser they were predominantly Hallett Cove residents who had formed a gang to defend the suburb from attacks by rival youths.

One Year 12 student said people can join the gang if "they're hard enough, can prove themselves and have a reputation".

"It's been going for ages," he said.

"If a mate gets in trouble just for living in Hallett Cove, so Hallett Cove people start to back up each other and it goes from there. The Seaview people do the same thing."

Another member, 14, said he joined the gang after moving to Adelaide's southern suburbs about four years ago.

"You'll always have back-up and it's the thrill of getting in trouble with the cops," he said.

"People have been bottled, put in hospital, it's mainly at parties and on the street."

Det Supt Bray said local police stations were concentrating on groups such as Elite Hallett Cove while the Crime Gangs Task Force was focusing on the street gangs involved with bikies.

Their crimes have included violent robberies across the northern suburbs, where people have been bashed or stabbed while using ATMs or as their cars have been stolen.

The youths then have used the vehicles to commit armed hold-ups at service stations, pizza bars, video stores and hotel bottle-shops and gaming rooms, where staff are threatened with knives and other weapons. Det Supt Bray said police were becoming increasingly concerned about the youth gangs – and their propensity to use violence.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 7:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide Suburbs

A few years ago I was told , by a serving Adelaide police officer, that many of their 'customers' lived in Hallet Cove and that the general area had a high proportion of 'undesirables'.

I posted about it on another website but, soon after, the whole thread was deleted.

Seems like some people like to protect Hallet cove's 'reputation'.

G
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I have relatives that live in Hallet Cove, and have stayed with them before for a few weeks, and I never saw any problems, anything that would concern me (which takes a lot being young myself) and I even felt safe going for a wonder in the evening to and from the train station.

Obviously, I haven't lived there, but I thought it looked safe and peaceful. So it must be a few isolated incidents? Or I was there before the trouble moved in?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:01 am
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

My intention is to warn people looking to make a big move not too listen to some of the bullshit on here and take time to decide where they want to live when they migrate its stressful enough. I dont thin brits are very good at assessing these issues and dont assimilate too well.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

kids bigging themselves up and newspapers over-emphasising a party that gets out of hand ! Then people tend to believe everything they read in the papers and judge a suburb on what ?

I don't live there but i know alot of people that do and yes it has a high percentage of brits but from what i am told it's a great place to live. Believe me i'd be happy if i was forced to live in hallet cove because if you knew the real adelaide and where the most notorious (not by uk standards either) bikie gangs reside (north and south) you might alter your view.

"People have been bottled and put in hospital" ? well i tell you what at least kids are not gettin shot dead riding around on thier bikes, FFS !

Did you live in a little village in the UK that had no parties, no teenage youths, no drunkeness ? Thats all this equates to, every weekend in most large uk towns. It's not normal in adelaide so makes the front pages of the paper.

There is no need for drunken violence but it happens and 90% of people regret thier actions when sober.

Did you read the newspaper last week, where a guy north of adelaide (out in the sticks), a quiet little outback town, got pummeled with 15 bullets and last i heard was still livin ? You gonna move there away from normality ?

Sorry about this reply but some people need to open thier eyes to the world we live in.

Peace

Originally Posted by cufc
A number of people mention Hallett Cove as a good suburb to live for migrants...it is lauded on a number of forums...we had heard some bad things about it and glad we avoided...see attached. Please make informed decisions when migrating. This included "gangs" such as Elite Hallett Cove, which was involved in a street brawl with police last weekend after its members gatecrashed a party at Seacliff.

Members of Elite Hallett Cove yesterday told The Advertiser they were predominantly Hallett Cove residents who had formed a gang to defend the suburb from attacks by rival youths.

One Year 12 student said people can join the gang if "they're hard enough, can prove themselves and have a reputation".

"It's been going for ages," he said.

"If a mate gets in trouble just for living in Hallett Cove, so Hallett Cove people start to back up each other and it goes from there. The Seaview people do the same thing."

Another member, 14, said he joined the gang after moving to Adelaide's southern suburbs about four years ago.

"You'll always have back-up and it's the thrill of getting in trouble with the cops," he said.

"People have been bottled, put in hospital, it's mainly at parties and on the street."

Det Supt Bray said local police stations were concentrating on groups such as Elite Hallett Cove while the Crime Gangs Task Force was focusing on the street gangs involved with bikies.

Their crimes have included violent robberies across the northern suburbs, where people have been bashed or stabbed while using ATMs or as their cars have been stolen.

The youths then have used the vehicles to commit armed hold-ups at service stations, pizza bars, video stores and hotel bottle-shops and gaming rooms, where staff are threatened with knives and other weapons. Det Supt Bray said police were becoming increasingly concerned about the youth gangs – and their propensity to use violence.

Last edited by skyblue; Feb 20th 2008 at 11:18 am.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of

What bullshit may that be, are you naming names or keeping it to yourself ?

Are you judging all brits when you say "I dont think brits are very good at assessing these issues and dont assimilate too well"? Or just judging the british society in general but not yourself or course. :-)

My intention is to warn people looking to make a big move not too listen to some of the bullshit on here and take time to decide where they want to live when they migrate its stressful enough. I dont thin brits are very good at assessing these issues and dont assimilate too well.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:30 am
Banned

Thaks for your reply SkyBlue....not sensationalising anything.... we have lived in many parts of the world and love what Adelaide has to offer... we are not naive i have worked for a number of years in Forensic services...what Adelaide does have a problem with is gang related crime of an american style...which is knife and gun orientated... dont kid yourself... only a few weeks ago a gang went on the rampage through Adelaide from North to South mugging and assaulting people and an attempted abduction of a woman.
Hallett Cove does have a major crime problem and the South Australian police view it as a problem area not an area where a few kids get pissed at a party and cause a problem.
Lets not be dreamers
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:32 am
Banned

If the brits dont have a problem assimilating why do they feel the need to congregate in specific suburbs. Discuss!!!??
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:42 am
Banned

I wonder if the brits brought the problem to Hallett Cove??? Discuss!!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

It's all scare-mongering!

I come from a small country town, and there have been people stabbed to death, people bottled and hospitalised, and there are always groups of teenagers fighting in the streets.

It happens all over the world.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

steveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to beholdsteveandtina is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a quite Monday in Romford essex to me.

Not going to jump on you with this as you are intitled to your views.

No matter where you go in this world there has and always will be gangs. My dad goes on about the kids of today in the UK but forgets he was a teddy boy in his youth and was feared in our area. So it has always been about, there will always be kids and grown ups who get in to trouble.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Lived in adelaide for nearly a yr now. first in the north, now in the south.
I have never seen any trouble, fighting or gangs anywear.
I know the bike gangs exsist, but only to them selves.
Adelaide may have some problems, but gangs are not one of them in a normal / family life.
unless you go looking for it you are 99.9% safe in adelaide.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:07 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Wendy has uploaded loads of info to Ozburbs.com regarding adelaidian suburbs !

Have a look, she has done a great job.

Ste
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Again, would that make the uk papers as newsworthy? I am not so sure.

On a whole, yes Adelaide will follow America's lead in knife and gun crime and the UK for that matter. Just as in most things though it will be 10-15 yrs behind.

You are still in Forensic services in Adelaide and that relates to what happened in Seacliff ?

The rampage from north to south, did it involved HC youths ?

You pin pointed Hallet Cove as being a bad area. I think you are totally wrong and can name alot far worse, if you like. I know where I would be safer driving/ walking at night and HC has no worries for me but other neigbourhoods do. Saying that if you are in regular contact with the local constabulary then maybe I should reconsider my route home and avoid the area.

I think you have just had a big dig at HC when more serious crime goes on elsewhere. Will you be reporting that on here too ?

I think the reason alot of brits prefer to move/live in HC over the last few yrs was the fact they wanted reasonably priced homes by the coast and a good commuting distance to the city.Value for money. The percentage moving there to be near family/friends i would imagine being alot less.

Out of curiosity do you have statistics for knife attacks, gun attacks etc for HC with you having connections in the Forensic world ?

btw the party in question was not in HC and out of was 3 youths charged 1 was from HC.

Anyway if you are "in the know" I bow out with a good telling off.

Thaks for your reply SkyBlue....not sensationalising anything.... we have lived in many parts of the world and love what Adelaide has to offer... we are not naive i have worked for a number of years in Forensic services...what Adelaide does have a problem with is gang related crime of an american style...which is knife and gun orientated... dont kid yourself... only a few weeks ago a gang went on the rampage through Adelaide from North to South mugging and assaulting people and an attempted abduction of a woman.
Hallett Cove does have a major crime problem and the South Australian police view it as a problem area not an area where a few kids get pissed at a party and cause a problem.
Lets not be dreamers
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Now you are having a laugh, ok wind me in i'm suckered.

c'mon Taggart is it the brits u dislike or just the English ?

I wonder if the brits brought the problem to Hallett Cove??? Discuss!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.