Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide and South Australia

Adelaide and South Australia

Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of
Default Adelaide and South Australia

Hi,

I have not been on here for a while but here is why I am posting again.

I am an Aussie (from Syndey) and live in the UK with my British husband and our young son. My husband has a Permanent Visa so no problems there but as of yesterday (after ruling out Malta and Singapore and most states of Australia...long story!) we have decided on moving to Adelaide/South Australia.

What I would like to ask for the people who live there, have lived there etc. is what are your personal experiences of Adelaide, why did you move there, what do you like/hate about it? etc.

I know everyone is different and people can't really give advice on why we should move but we just want your expereinces.

Thanks

Last edited by seayork2002; Oct 19th 2008 at 6:03 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adelaide and South Australia

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Hi,

I am an Aussie (from Syndey) and live in the UK with my British husband and our young son. My husband has a Permanent Visa so no problems there but as of yesterday (after ruling out Malta and Singapore and most states of Australia...long story!) we have decided on moving to Adelaide/South Australia.

What I would like to ask for the people who live there, have lived there etc. is what are your personal experiences of Adelaide, why did you move there, what do you like/hate about it? etc.

I know everyone is different and people can't really give advice on why we should move but we just want your expereinces.

Thanks
Love Adelaide and moving there on 8th Nov !!! If you like a quiet life, friendly people and a sense of community then Adelaide is for you!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seayork2002
Hi,

Thanks
I love everything about it If I sit here listing all the things I like it would be a long post, so I'll list the things I don't:

The flies and the cold in the winter (all 10 weeks of it)

That's it.

I do know a few Aussies that have moved here from other states and all of them say it's the best place in Australia - although I'm sure that others from SA will have moved elsewhere and disagree with them
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

weez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really nice

we have been in Adelaide for 4 weeks and love it!
we have had a bit of a sh***y time with car and job problems but even that hasn't changed our opinion of the place, imo its a great family city, with friendly people, beautiful beaches, wonderful scenery and seasons!!! and to top it all off we have the ever helpful friendly Wendy here!!! what more could you want

Ok Sawyer from Lost living next door would be nice!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

When we first came to Australia we headed for Adelaide. We were there a year. Spent hundreds of hours on the internet, came over for a reckie and fell for the place. We wanted seasons, and by god did we get it!!!! The winters are really cold, and a lot of the time the landscape is brown and quite depressing. Unfortunately until you actually live in a place you don`t know. Adelaide itself is wonderful and we do miss it. The city is a great place for shopping and a great place to eat and drink out too.
Our problem was that it just didnt tick all the boxes. Sounds daft but it wasnt Australian enough!!!!! To be honest it wasnt that different to where we were in England!!!
Anyway hubby got laid off so we decided to try somewhere else. We had friends up in Queensland and came up here for yet another reckie!!!!
Got to say Queensland does tick all OUR boxes. Its not for everyone.
As I said we do miss Adelaide but I wouldnt move back now.
Angela
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

We lived in Adelaide, took a bit of getting used to but we did eventually fall in love with it,, its very quiet,beaches lovely,some ppl lovely as with everwhere!

I would love to go back but work wise its near immpossible to get a half decent job.

Good luck

Bluekipper
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

lazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant futurelazerzxr has a brilliant future

I came here with work and love the place. Its not that cold in winter, one frost doesnt count as cold in my book and its all over in no time anyway. Its an amazing place if you like cycling and wine.

What else is there?!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

dance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Adelaide and South Australia

After reading you guys posts, I feel that I'm lucky to have chosen Adelaide as my destination in OZ!! Friendly people, good beaches, nice atmosphere..... what else one wants!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lazerzxr
I came here with work and love the place. Its not that cold in winter, one frost doesnt count as cold in my book and its all over in no time anyway. Its an amazing place if you like cycling and wine.

What else is there?!
oooh depends where you live....it's bloody freezing up here in the hills in the winter. Had loads of frosts this year and and last year. Last year in our rental the pipes froze 3 or 4 times!!!!! Oor poor grass is just recovering from all the frosts. But all that aside Adelaide is definately a great place to live, nice people, lovely scenery for a large part of the year, nice beaches, lovely city centre, plenty to do and great mix of seasons, it's nice to have 4 very defined seasons!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

weez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really niceweez75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dance123
After reading you guys posts, I feel that I'm lucky to have chosen Adelaide as my destination in OZ!! Friendly people, good beaches, nice atmosphere..... what else one wants!!!!
like i said Sawyer from Lost as your next door neighbour................or even secret lover!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to alldance123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by weez75
like i said Sawyer from Lost as your next door neighbour................or even secret lover!!
ROFLMAO
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Now ya talking!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Hands off wendy... you know he's mine....ALL MINE
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hands off wendy... you know he's mine....ALL MINE

Ah, you can have Sawyer. I'll take anyone who's up for it
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

ramlmmjem is on a distinguished road

Thanks. That's a helpful addition to my earlier question!!

Alistair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.