Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide poms where r u

Adelaide poms where r u

Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Adelaide poms where r u

Oi you!! my body is a temple as you well know!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Originally Posted by s/nurse
I think Adelaide is very 'clicky'. People tend to get in their little groups and stay there.
Jacqui
That's a shame. I can't say i've seen that yet, though you can't stay friendly with everyone you meet, even if you're going through the same experiences of emigration. It's just that we all have different interests and responsibilities, so you can't "get on" with everyone you meet, but if you don't at least try, you'll never know.
Yes, maybe some meets can seem a waste of time cause you don't share any real interest (apart from the migration thing), but i wouldn't think that if one meet "wasted my day", i wouldn't go to another one.

Tried them?, waste of time? Felt awkward? Couldn't get away quick enough? So what, you'll never see them again anyway.

Reading comments on this thread about "shameful", "nobody turned up for a bevvy" and such like. Not everyone works Mon-Fri 9-5 and are able to do such things. I'd like to know how someone that works shifts, including weekends and has a pre school kid of 3 can get the chance to go out and get "rat arsed"!?! To me, you get "rat arsed" with people you like and get on with, not someone you have no idea what they're going to be like!

{Expecting to be flamed, but hey, we're all different.....}
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Reading comments on this thread about "shameful", "nobody turned up for a bevvy" and such like. Not everyone works Mon-Fri 9-5 and are able to do such things. I'd like to know how someone that works shifts, including weekends and has a pre school kid of 3 can get the chance to go out and get "rat arsed"!?! To me, you get "rat arsed" with people you like and get on with, not someone you have no idea what they're going to be like!
Firstly who mentioned getting "rat arsed"?

secondly if you only go out with people you "know and like"....well thats what being "cliquey" is!

thirdly even people who work shifts and have children could go out every now and then.. if its what they want....I know quite a few!

lastly I think it is quite shameful in a city the size of Adelaide, and on a forum such as this, designed for people to meet and give support, that only one person wants to meet for a friendly drink to welcome someone to town! but then thats why Im moving!

That is my opinion!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rightruccus
That's a shame. I can't say i've seen that yet, though you can't stay friendly with everyone you meet, even if you're going through the same experiences of emigration. It's just that we all have different interests and responsibilities, so you can't "get on" with everyone you meet, but if you don't at least try, you'll never know.
Yes, maybe some meets can seem a waste of time cause you don't share any real interest (apart from the migration thing), but i wouldn't think that if one meet "wasted my day", i wouldn't go to another one.

Tried them?, waste of time? Felt awkward? Couldn't get away quick enough? So what, you'll never see them again anyway.

{Expecting to be flamed, but hey, we're all different.....}
Wendy took the time and effort to arrange a meet and 15 people, who said they would attend and then did not....IMO that is 'shameful', and it is not suprising that she won't do it again. It's the Adelaide "can't be bothered attitude' that stinks.
I will give everyone a fair go but when they can't be bothered nor can I.
Jacqui

Last edited by purple rain; Jan 13th 2009 at 2:07 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

scooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nice

We were some of those 'shamefull' ppl that never turned up.... !!

Well we did but when we got to the pub we were forced to que up to get in and after waiting 20 mins and not moved decided to leave.

Maybe a not so busy pub on not so busy night next time!

Dan
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s/nurse
Wendy took the time and effort to arrange a meet and 15 people, who said they would attend and then did not....IMO that is 'shameful', and it is not suprising that she won't do it again. It's the Adelaide "can't be bothered attitude' that stinks.
I will give everyone a fair go but when they can't be bothered nor can I.
Jacqui

Thanks Jacqui

Just want to say that I got apologies from some people which I really appreciate (especially Paddyhaha - who I knew had just arrived in SA so didn't really expect them to turn up) and from Dan above (bring your phone next time, and my number ). But out of all those people they're the only ones who even bothered to contact me.

You know me Jacqui, I'm pretty easy going and it wasn't so much that I was stood up but more that for all anyone knew I could have been there on my own and anything could have happened to me. All it took was for someone to ask the bouncer if they could have a quick look inside the pub as they were supposed to be meeting someone in there. Or at least come in the right entrance () where there were no bouncers or even for one of them to text me - at least three of them had my number

And Rightruccus is a lovely guy, I can't see how anyone won't get on with him and his fabulous wife.

Pompeyblonde, you're taking about the meet with Carl aren't you? I would love to meet him and his wife, but couldn't get out last weekend. I was gutted not to be able to get there If I hadn't been working last week and this I would have come down around tea time, but as it is I just couldn't fit it in. Damn work! be glad when this assignment is over
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wendy
Thanks Jacqui

Just want to say that I got apologies from some people which I really appreciate (especially Paddyhaha - who I knew had just arrived in SA so didn't really expect them to turn up) and from Dan above (bring your phone next time, and my number ). But out of all those people they're the only ones who even bothered to contact me.

You know me Jacqui, I'm pretty easy going and it wasn't so much that I was stood up but more that for all anyone knew I could have been there on my own and anything could have happened to me. All it took was for someone to ask the bouncer if they could have a quick look inside the pub as they were supposed to be meeting someone in there. Or at least come in the right entrance () where there were no bouncers or even for one of them to text me - at least three of them had my number

And Rightruccus is a lovely guy, I can't see how anyone won't get on with him and his fabulous wife.

Pompeyblonde, you're taking about the meet with Carl aren't you? I would love to meet him and his wife, but couldn't get out last weekend. I was gutted not to be able to get there If I hadn't been working last week and this I would have come down around tea time, but as it is I just couldn't fit it in. Damn work! be glad when this assignment is over

Perhaps us 'nice' people should have our own clique!
Jacqui
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:00 am
Curse you aqua scum

PaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant futurePaddyHaHa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde

secondly if you only go out with people you "know and like"....well thats what being "cliquey" is!

thirdly even people who work shifts and have children could go out every now and then.. if its what they want....I know quite a few!

lastly I think it is quite shameful in a city the size of Adelaide, and on a forum such as this, designed for people to meet and give support, that only one person wants to meet for a friendly drink to welcome someone to town! but then thats why Im moving!

That is my opinion!
Thank you pompeyblonde,

i agree with you on all you said but would like to add, how!!! do most people make friends. if my memory serves me well it generally happens on social occasions.
keep all your chins up and we might get a meet up out of this yet
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde

That is my opinion!
And you're perfectly entitled to it, as am i.

People come from all walks of life and interpretation of what one might say can be taken in different contexts.
For example, "going out for a "bevvy" where i come from means going out and having a right good skinful i.e. "rat arsed" or other such expletives.
If you were to say "fancy goin' out for a pint? or "couple of pints?", that would be interpreted as having a night out where conversation/catch up/chillin' out/having a laugh is the order of the day.

With regard to your comment:
"if you only go out with people you "know and like"....well thats what being "cliquey" is!"

Eh?!? I expect 99% of people only go out with people they know and like!
The cliquey part i expect you are talking about is when people exclude newcomers from joining in on a meet or a night out. That's cliquey and downright rude, but not cliquey just because you know and like someone.

Again, this may be personal interpretation and we end up going round in circles agreeing to disagree, so no point in pursuance to prove a shallow victory of point.

To sign off, may you find the happiness and settlement you are looking for in another part of our small world.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:00 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scooterdan
Hey,

I put a post on here about a Beer with the lads a few weeks ago and no replies!

Also try www.pomsinadelaide.com

I find it more helpfull then the adelaidebrits one!

Dan and Steph

Yeah I find PIA a better site to! I dont often come on to Expats i suppose because it seems there are never to many threads for Adelaide! I would think you get a better response for meet ups etc on PIA than on here, as everyone on there is in Adelaide (well most)!

I think where ever you live you have people with the cant be bothered atittude not just down to Adelaide!! It is all about making an effort and I think that it is hard when you first arrive as you do make friends sometimes with people maybe you wouldnt of done before, and then you have the other side where you settle into your new life and are here for a couple of years and so stick with the mates you have and make new friends through normal everyday life, it is a hard one!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:07 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PaddyHaHa
we have been here for three months now and i am really dishartened with the whole aussie life thing. being a plumber and cant get a job because i have to go back to school quallie not good enough. any meets arranged to maybe talk it over

cheers

paddyhaha

Hi Paddyhaha where are you in Adelaide??
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:25 pm
A Returning Member!!

Originally Posted by Wendy
I don't anymore. The last one I arranged on here 15 people didn't bother turning up. If it hadn't have been for the fact my good friend was coming along I would have been sat in a bar in the middle of the city on my own for 2 hours - based on that I will not put myself in that position again.

If people want to arrange a meet, then if I can attend I may well do so but I won't put myself out anymore.

Sorry!
HI Wendy

I have never attended any of the meet ups, suppose I always felt they normally in the city got the kids need to sort them out blah blah, you know what I mean!!

Maybe rather than meeting in a pub (dont get me wrong we like a drink and visiting the pub) but was just thinking people may make more of an effort if you did like a picnic in the park with the kids there to?? I know I talk to anyone and it doesnt bother me meeting up but others are more nervous and so having the kids there takes the edge off as you can talk about them or what ever!?!?!?!?

I could be totally wrong as looking at it from my point of view I suppose, but I also would only go local, as I dont really see point in travelling to Hallet Cove to make friends when i really want friends in my area not 45mins - an hour away!

Thats all probably come out wrong but hope you get the point I was trying to make, those glasses of wine not helping now!! ha ha

Maybe we should arrange a big picnic at Harry Barry Reserve for all those in the Northern areas and advertise it on all 3 websites, see who turns up and then someone could do the same thing for the Southern areas??

Right I off to bed as I probably started world war 3 now!!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
HI Wendy

I have never attended any of the meet ups, suppose I always felt they normally in the city got the kids need to sort them out blah blah, you know what I mean!!

Maybe rather than meeting in a pub (dont get me wrong we like a drink and visiting the pub) but was just thinking people may make more of an effort if you did like a picnic in the park with the kids there to?? I know I talk to anyone and it doesnt bother me meeting up but others are more nervous and so having the kids there takes the edge off as you can talk about them or what ever!?!?!?!?

I could be totally wrong as looking at it from my point of view I suppose, but I also would only go local, as I dont really see point in travelling to Hallet Cove to make friends when i really want friends in my area not 45mins - an hour away!

Thats all probably come out wrong but hope you get the point I was trying to make, those glasses of wine not helping now!! ha ha

Maybe we should arrange a big picnic at Harry Barry Reserve for all those in the Northern areas and advertise it on all 3 websites, see who turns up and then someone could do the same thing for the Southern areas??

Right I off to bed as I probably started world war 3 now!!

Yeah, I know what you mean

I have arranged meetups for all sort of places, the Botanical Park, Glenelg, Brighton, Semaphore and a few other places here and there - even had one at Tee Tree Gully a bit back. Generally get good turn outs to those ones too - I always pick somewhere central then people from the South and North can come. I don't like to leave anyone out and I like to get about.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Don't get me wrong I have some great friends in Adelaide, Ive been very lucky, but its just at times it can be hard work! Its taken a while and Adelaide is not the easiest place..... Im lucky enough to have met some great Aussie mates through work too, and don't have to just stick to expats (much as I love em!)

When you travel alone you have to just get out there and meet people, you don't have the luxury of sticking with those you know! It forces you out of your comfort zone, which for me is really the point! This is prob why i feel strongly about supporting others.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PaddyHaHa
Thank you pompeyblonde,

i agree with you on all you said but would like to add, how!!! do most people make friends. if my memory serves me well it generally happens on social occasions.
keep all your chins up and we might get a meet up out of this yet
What a great idea, why don't you start an Adelaide Meet thread, I will put my name down for it
Jacqui

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.