Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

adelaide is it the place to be???

adelaide is it the place to be???

Old Oct 8th 2005, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

oldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud of
Default adelaide is it the place to be???

Hello all, we are considering migrating to aus and we were wondering if adelaide is a good place to go to?
Here are a few questions for anyone in the adelaide area, any info/thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
1. Could i buy a reasonable house in a good area to house 2 adults/2kids for circa 300k (aud)
2. Are there any bad/rough areas to avoid and what are the best areas for work, i am a lorry driver and the other half is a microbiologist so we could do with an area that has both industrial and scientific industries.
3. Is the weather a bit milder there? Looking at the forecasts and ave temps it appears to be a bit cooler than other regions and it seems to have cooler winters (not that i want it to p155 down, i could stay in damp,drizzly oldham for that!) i just want a break from 24/7 blazing sunshine once in a while.
4. Does aus have it's fair share of chav's/dole scroungers etc, i am sure it must have it's fair share of undesirables(the uk seems to be solely populated with hoodie yobs and chav types as being fik or sitting on your arse all day seems to be the new way of life here now, don't want this for my kids!) I ask because nearly every aussie i meet in the uk seems to be pretty freindly and approachable.
5. Is the school system good? I have heard rumour that most people pay for private education, Is this because state schools are poor or is it that private schooling is relativley cheap (i doubt it!)
6. Medicare- The missus is type 1 diabetic (insulin dependant) as such i assume we would have to pay for her medicines etc as our healthcarte insurance would not cover that, would the costs be expensive?
7. We are going on an sir visa, is this a good way of migrating to aus, i am told that as long as we stick to the conditions of the visa (eg. the wife works for at least 20 hours a week for 12 months) then we will have no problem in applying for the permanent visa, is that really the case??? or will we be turfed out once our visa expires? Also we are using a migration service called first contact, has anyone any experience of using these or should we just fill all the forms in ourselves?
FINALLY!!! 8. How concerned should the wife be (and me!!) about the SPIDERS! am only really concerned about the kids playing outside unsupervised only to look out the window to see them playing footie with a nest of redbacks or my eldest dan (6 years old) playing indiana jones with a python! Do you really get deadly snakes/spiders etc in suburbia?? Please say they are only found in the outback!!!
Thats all for now folks, sorry for it turning into a bit of an essay but you know what they say fail to prepare, prepare to fail (god that sounds a bit farty doesn't it? a bit david brent from the office!)
Anyway as i said any info very much appreciated. Ta!
Old Oct 8th 2005, 10:06 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: adelaide is it the place to be???

Originally Posted by oldhamisadump
Hello all, we are considering migrating to aus and we were wondering if adelaide is a good place to go to?
Here are a few questions for anyone in the adelaide area, any info/thoughts/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
1. Could i buy a reasonable house in a good area to house 2 adults/2kids for circa 300k (aud)
2. Are there any bad/rough areas to avoid and what are the best areas for work, i am a lorry driver and the other half is a microbiologist so we could do with an area that has both industrial and scientific industries.
3. Is the weather a bit milder there? Looking at the forecasts and ave temps it appears to be a bit cooler than other regions and it seems to have cooler winters (not that i want it to p155 down, i could stay in damp,drizzly oldham for that!) i just want a break from 24/7 blazing sunshine once in a while.
4. Does aus have it's fair share of chav's/dole scroungers etc, i am sure it must have it's fair share of undesirables(the uk seems to be solely populated with hoodie yobs and chav types as being fik or sitting on your arse all day seems to be the new way of life here now, don't want this for my kids!) I ask because nearly every aussie i meet in the uk seems to be pretty freindly and approachable.
5. Is the school system good? I have heard rumour that most people pay for private education, Is this because state schools are poor or is it that private schooling is relativley cheap (i doubt it!)
6. Medicare- The missus is type 1 diabetic (insulin dependant) as such i assume we would have to pay for her medicines etc as our healthcarte insurance would not cover that, would the costs be expensive?
7. We are going on an sir visa, is this a good way of migrating to aus, i am told that as long as we stick to the conditions of the visa (eg. the wife works for at least 20 hours a week for 12 months) then we will have no problem in applying for the permanent visa, is that really the case??? or will we be turfed out once our visa expires? Also we are using a migration service called first contact, has anyone any experience of using these or should we just fill all the forms in ourselves?
FINALLY!!! 8. How concerned should the wife be (and me!!) about the SPIDERS! am only really concerned about the kids playing outside unsupervised only to look out the window to see them playing footie with a nest of redbacks or my eldest dan (6 years old) playing indiana jones with a python! Do you really get deadly snakes/spiders etc in suburbia?? Please say they are only found in the outback!!!
Thats all for now folks, sorry for it turning into a bit of an essay but you know what they say fail to prepare, prepare to fail (god that sounds a bit farty doesn't it? a bit david brent from the office!)
Anyway as i said any info very much appreciated. Ta!
i`ll try and help you out a bit(been here 6 weeks)
1 yes you`ll have a nice house
2 there are rough areas north and south(but more good than rough)
3 yes the weather here is seasonal but it can get up to 40 in summer(week or 2 at most)
4 of course there are hoons,taggers etc but i don`t see half as many as compared to where we lived in england.
5 schools i`m not sure on yet as jack`s only been in school 3 weeks and is only 5 though i`ve heard good and bad
6 sir visa don`t know
7 spiders and snakes not seen yet don`t like either personally so we`ll see what happens
have a look here
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaideb...ex.php?act=idx
Old Oct 8th 2005, 10:51 pm
JackBean

Heres a usefull link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4306936.stm

Strange.

Can't work out why Vancouver so great.

On holiday saw loads of homless/beggers in the heart of their great city.

Even more than london!

Old Oct 8th 2005, 11:03 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

no

try QLD much better
Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:01 am
JackBean

Exactly!

I was not that impressed with US's/Canada life styles.

And given my country(uk) uncertainty in pensions & work life styles. I'm seriously giving Australia a go for the next 2 years.

Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackBean
Heres a usefull link

Strange.

Even more than london!
Many homeless people from other parts of Canada move to Vancouver (as it's one of the only parts of Canada where winter temperatures stay above freezing).

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You are subject to FIRB restrictions until you become a permanent resident.
http://www.firb.gov.au

Compared to Sydney, on roughly the same latitude, Adelaide is:
- colder and wetter in winter; but
- hotter in summer. Compared to the east coast, it's usually a dry heat with less humidity.

http://www.bom.gov.au

7. We are going on an sir visa, is this a good way of migrating to aus, i am told that as long as we stick to the conditions of the visa (eg. the wife works for at least 20 hours a week for 12 months) then we will have no problem in applying for the permanent visa, is that really the case??? or will we be turfed out once our visa expires?
You should be ok visa-wise if:

- South Australia sponsors you for STNI after 2 years. Anecdotally they have indicated they will do this for their SIR holders who 'do the right thing' and comply with their visa conditions. However it's not clear yet how they, or any of the state governments participating in STNI, will react to SIR holders who only get unskilled or semi-skilled work.

- An employer in South Australia can sponsor you for RSMS. You'd then need to make a 'genuine effort' to stay with that employer for 2 years or your visa could be cancelled.

If you can't get a permanent visa (eg if the state and your employer don't sponsor) you'll be in a mess unless DIMIA intervene with new laws.

Can you find a sponsoring employer from the UK? If so, why not go for ENS or RSMS directly and forget about SIR?

MEDICARE

Bear in mind you are *not* automatically eligible for Medicare on a SIR visa.

- you may be able to get limited reciprocal cover as a former UK resident, but this is a grey area
- DIMIA will probably expect you to have health insurance
- once you *apply* for PR, you become eligible for full medicare.

Also we are using a migration service called first contact, has anyone any experience of using these or should we just fill all the forms in ourselves?
You should do a forum search and see what comes up. Also, check the MARA database: http://www.themara.com.au

Jeremy
Old Oct 9th 2005, 3:21 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a usefull link

Strange.

Even more than london!
We have beggers in Adelaide making $200 a day ................ mm
Old Oct 9th 2005, 3:24 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
no

try QLD much better
If this is true , how come Brisbane did,nt get a mention in the top ten cities??, but after Manchester any were would be better ........ mm
Old Oct 9th 2005, 5:29 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally Posted by mr mover
We have beggers in Adelaide making $200 a day ................ mm
How much of that are you declaring, mr mover
Old Oct 9th 2005, 8:31 am
Just Joined

oldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
You are subject to FIRB restrictions until you become a permanent resident.
http://www.firb.gov.au

Compared to Sydney, on roughly the same latitude, Adelaide is:
- colder and wetter in winter; but
- hotter in summer. Compared to the east coast, it's usually a dry heat with less humidity.

http://www.bom.gov.au

You should be ok visa-wise if:

- South Australia sponsors you for STNI after 2 years. Anecdotally they have indicated they will do this for their SIR holders who 'do the right thing' and comply with their visa conditions. However it's not clear yet how they, or any of the state governments participating in STNI, will react to SIR holders who only get unskilled or semi-skilled work.

- An employer in South Australia can sponsor you for RSMS. You'd then need to make a 'genuine effort' to stay with that employer for 2 years or your visa could be cancelled.

If you can't get a permanent visa (eg if the state and your employer don't sponsor) you'll be in a mess unless DIMIA intervene with new laws.

Can you find a sponsoring employer from the UK? If so, why not go for ENS or RSMS directly and forget about SIR?

MEDICARE

Bear in mind you are *not* automatically eligible for Medicare on a SIR visa.

- you may be able to get limited reciprocal cover as a former UK resident, but this is a grey area
- DIMIA will probably expect you to have health insurance
- once you *apply* for PR, you become eligible for full medicare.

You should do a forum search and see what comes up. Also, check the MARA database: http://www.themara.com.au

Jeremy
Thanks for that has given me somethings to think about.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:36 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a usefull link

Strange.

Even more than london!
There are plenty here in Perth too & it's 5th on that list. It's as bad as London (pro rata) in my opinion. Homeless people are part of the fabric of any modern city. Perth is a great place though & I am enjoying it more every day.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 9:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Many homeless people from other parts of Canada move to Vancouver (as it's one of the only parts of Canada where winter temperatures stay above freezing).

Jeremy
How do the get there? Is there some sort of special vagrant transit system? Wonder what it's like in economy ....