Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Adelaide or Perth

Adelaide or Perth

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

debsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant futuredebsnshaun has a brilliant future
Default Adelaide or Perth

I am presently in the process of emigrating and waiting for my 136 visa. My intention was to move to Perth but now with the soaring house prices I feel I may have to look at other options.

I am hopefully going to do a rekki in April/May of next year because I have never been over to Australia.

Can anybody please advise me on the advantages and the disadvantages of Adelaide or Perth if I don't settle in Perth, Adelaide may be my next option.

Your ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 6:52 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adelaide or Perth

Originally Posted by debsnshaun
I am presently in the process of emigrating and waiting for my 136 visa. My intention was to move to Perth but now with the soaring house prices I feel I may have to look at other options.

I am hopefully going to do a rekki in April/May of next year because I have never been over to Australia.

Can anybody please advise me on the advantages and the disadvantages of Adelaide or Perth if I don't settle in Perth, Adelaide may be my next option.

I guess the bottom line is the amount you can spend on a house and the line of work you and/or your partner are in.

Perth's nice but do you really want to spend the next 30 years mortgaged up to the hilt and/or living in a dodgy neighbourhood cos that's all you could afford?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We had intended on going to Perth right up until a few weeks before we came over. Ended up in Adelaide and we love it. No high rise buildings in the CBD which is very different to where we came from and it's very spread out.
You really have to check out both places when you come over on your reccie. They are entirely different and what one person likes another may not.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:56 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We had intended on going to Perth right up until a few weeks before we came over. Ended up in Adelaide and we love it. No high rise buildings in the CBD which is very different to where we came from and it's very spread out.
You really have to check out both places when you come over on your reccie. They are entirely different and what one person likes another may not.
So the 30 level Santos house is not tall i guess by world standards ?...... mm
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
So the 30 level Santos house is not tall i guess by world standards ?...... mm
We moved from Toronto where my husband's office was on the 46th floor. It was not the top of the building, either. How many other buildings are there over about 10 storeys?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

We have lived in both places but it is your choice.I found Adelaide to be more of a sprawl than Perth.As it is hemmed in by the hills more than Perth traffic can be a nightmare.We liked having a beer in Port Adelaide but it has changed a lot since then,Hahndorf is good for the german heritage (not good if you don't like germans),but you need four wheel drive on your buggy for the hills on the golf course there,and a ton of bananas to keep energy levels up.Don't be put off by the constant complaining of house prices in Perth,it started from a low base,there are many properties for $350,000 to $400,000.Little Saigon,(Queenstown and down Grand Junction rd to Arndale) seemed to be causing angst when we lived there,don't know how it is now.There were a lot of old houses in Adelaide down Port Rd and other areas and a lot of the rental properties we looked at were ready for demolition.The choice would be down to yourself,I wouldn't be having my life run by an opinion poll.but, up to you.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I think you are going to have to spend some time in both cities before you decide whats right for you and your family!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

Hi

I would suggest doing a recci in both places. We need to validate, so will be over in January, and we are going to both Perth and Adelaide for a look see.

Storms
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 11:25 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We moved from Toronto where my husband's office was on the 46th floor. It was not the top of the building, either. How many other buildings are there over about 10 storeys?
I have cousins in Hamilton Ont they reckon its a S**T hole .....??.. mm
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 12:31 pm
Banned

Rug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud ofRug13y has much to be proud of

Neither. Go to Kalgoorlie. More interesting.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

You do right checking out somewhere else. Perth is too expensive and some new friends of ours arrived here 7 weeks ago and are heading back to UK already as they can't afford anything decent here. Interest rates still on the up also
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:05 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Don't be put off by the constant complaining of house prices in Perth,it started from a low base,there are many properties for $350,000 to $400,000.
Exactly. $400k is approx. GBP160k. There are a lot of places in the UK where you can't get much for that. You can still get good value in Perth.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:26 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Exactly. $400k is approx. GBP160k. There are a lot of places in the UK where you can't get much for that. You can still get good value in Perth.
Not going to get much for 400k anywhere in Perth. Unless you want to live in Mirabooka .

Lets not pretend Perth is good value, it's as expensive as Sydney.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Hi debsnshaun

Have a look at this site www.livingin-australia.com it gives profiles of Adelaide & Perth and some pros & cons of living in both places. You might feel you sway to one over the other.
We are moving to Perth in January.We have never been to Australia, & we are not doing a reccie but after lots of research Perth came out tops for me.
Obviously if you can afford to do a reccie to both this would be the best option, otherwise you're going to have to go with your gut feeling, because everyone will have their own opinions & this won't necessarily match what you want out of life.

Good Luck

Leigh
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Hi debsnshaun

Have a look at this site www.livingin-australia.com it gives profiles of Adelaide & Perth and some pros & cons of living in both places. You might feel you sway to one over the other.
We are moving to Perth in January.We have never been to Australia, & we are not doing a reccie but after lots of research Perth came out tops for me.
Obviously if you can afford to do a reccie to both this would be the best option, otherwise you're going to have to go with your gut feeling, because everyone will have their own opinions & this won't necessarily match what you want out of life.

Good Luck

Leigh
A good link that one.

Perth is only 25% more expensive than Adelaide which is cheapest according to that so as usual theres hype with Perth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.